T Nation

Green Tea Post Work Out

Hey everyone, so i’ve just been reading around about how good green tea is for you with all of the antioxidants and what not but I was just wondering if it is detrimental to your cortisol and test. levels if you were to drink it post workout from the caffeine content? I know that it does contain the amino acid theanine which calms you down so maybe that would counter act the caffeine in it?

Not even worth worrying about. Nutritional benefits outweigh any perceived problems with caffeine.
Besides, tannic acid in the tea slows the absorption of caffeine anyway.

Drink up!

Green Tea is not a good PWO supplement.

What is the point of consuming caffeine PWO? It’s normally something you take pre to give you a stim buzz

Thank you, I just got paranoid but should have known because I always feel very relaxed when I drink green tea.

and green tea pwo just cuz i like to wind down after my workouts

I think the idea that green tea helps you relax is a psychosomatic thing related to most people associating it with Asia and therefore something Mister Miyagi would drink to chill after making Godzilla eat his own fucking tail for the tenth time.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Green Tea is not a good PWO supplement.

What is the point of consuming caffeine PWO? It’s normally something you take pre to give you a stim buzz[/quote]

Depends on your goals. With something like Carb Backloading it actually works well as a PWO supp.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I think the idea that green tea helps you relax is a psychosomatic thing related to most people associating it with Asia and therefore something Mister Miyagi would drink to chill after making Godzilla eat his own fucking tail for the tenth time.[/quote]

Actually, great tea has high levels of L-Theanine which is known for its calming effect on the brain. I can’t really tell the difference when I drink tea, but sometimes I can tell when I haven’t.

Then again…it might just be in my head…get it…
Eh, no one can appreciate a good pun.