Green Tea May Halve Cancer Risk

I nearly posted this in the over 35 section, but I guess it’s real home is here.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071219/thl-health-japan-cancer-drink-16acc9f_1.html

Interestingly “The research team said a substance called catechin in green tea may be contributing to reducing risks by curbing levels of testosterone, a male hormone seen as a risk factor to prostate cancer.”

Pretty solid evidence it is healthy for you. Some take catechins as a suppelemt. I persoanlly drink white tea, becaue I like it better and feel it may be even healthier. Almost all studies seem to involve green tea.

I don’t understand how this is news at all. Tea has always been known to have cancer-fighting antioxidants.

I love white and green tea. I don’t even touch black tea anymore for some reason. White is probably the best as it contains more antioxidants and less caffeine than green (and it tastes sweeter).

If you want something with even more antioxidants, try Yerba Mate. I hate the taste of it though.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:

Interestingly “The research team said a substance called catechin in green tea may be contributing to reducing risks by curbing levels of testosterone, a male hormone seen as a risk factor to prostate cancer.”[/quote]

does T really cause prostate cancer…or is it the aromatization of said hormone that causes prostate problems?

i don’t want anything in my diet that reduces my T level.

sb

[quote]icecold wrote:
Pretty solid evidence it is healthy for you. Some take catechins as a suppelemt. I persoanlly drink white tea, becaue I like it better and feel it may be even healthier. Almost all studies seem to involve green tea.[/quote]

I drink about 3 cups of white tea a day myself, definitely nicer to drink and is just as healthy if not better for you than green…I’m pretty sure that drinking green tea’s and the likes is great for keeping the metabolism up and is another great way to keep you lean.

he’s saying green tea causes prostate cancer .

[quote]RitesOfSpring wrote:
he’s saying green tea causes prostate cancer .[/quote]

No, he’s definitely not. It says may Halve cancer, (cut the risk of cancer in half). Green tea also cuts the risk of skin cancer by 75%. Also 12 oz of black tea lowers the GI of a meal by 40%.

ah i missread, the quote about it curbing testosterone made me think it was increasing the risk of prostate cancer or something.

Green tea is great once you’ve mastered the knack of brewing or ‘steeping’.
If you fail that. Prepare for a rank brew.

Im sorry this is a little off topic but what kind of green/white tea do you drink?? I’m at the supermarket and see diet arizona green tea and liptons white tea. Do you guys buy that or brew it yourself? Thanks.

Arizona, liptons or any bottled green tea is the last thing you want. You want the organic stuff with no added sugars and whatnot. It comes pretty cheap in bulk teabags/looseleaf.

There are different kinds of green tea. Personally, I like sencha (japanese tea), Genmaicha (japanese brown rice tea), and just plain old Chinese green tea with some honey. For starter, get a box of “China Green Tips” from Starbucks. The brand is called “Tazo Tea”.
Their “white berry blossom” and “zen” tea is good too.

Whether it’s looseleaf or teabag, make sure you only steep for 2-3min. Anymore and it can get kind of bitter.

i’m still hung up on the whole “lowers testosterone levels” thing…

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
I nearly posted this in the over 35 section, but I guess it’s real home is here.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071219/thl-health-japan-cancer-drink-16acc9f_1.html

Interestingly “The research team said a substance called catechin in green tea may be contributing to reducing risks by curbing levels of testosterone, a male hormone seen as a risk factor to prostate cancer.”[/quote]

I’ve also read some research which states that certain elements of green tea lower testosterone. For that reason alone I’m not drinking green tea.

Then may your prostate be free of cancer.

[quote]bobo86 wrote:
Then may your prostate be free of cancer.[/quote]

can you please give specific evidence that TESTOSTERONE causes prostate cancer? there are myriad examples of problems from lower T levels and an elevated estrodial levels…in older men especially due to higher aromatization as we age. so, should we lower T levels to avoid the aging process or attack it another way.

T levels fall as we age, why increase the suppression of endogenous T with outside sources. heck, what’s next? increase your intake of xenoestrogens to make your arteries more flexible?

Now where the fuck did I say testosterone causes prostate cancer? I didn’t even remotely imply that.

I think you’re getting too hung up on this study. Personally, I think the many proven benefits of green tea outweight a “chance” of decreased testosterone.

What are you even afraid of? Being less of a man?

My main reason for posting was the almost throw away remark:
“The research team said a substance called catechin in green tea may be contributing to reducing risks by curbing levels of testosterone, a male hormone seen as a risk factor to prostate cancer.”
And I was looking forward to you guy’s slant on the possibility that GT lowers T.

personally all the guys i see with prostate cancer don’t seem to have enough T. They are all really fat or really skinny(think frank zappa), bald, and have hair on their backs. I know this isn’t “scientific” but I like to follow by example. Berardi drinks shit loads of green tea and uses greens+ on a daily basis (supposedly),which is being labeled as a major T reducer lately , but take a look at his recent pics in the Gourmet Nutrition article discussion. He looks pretty jacked to me and in no need of t boosters.

the air you breathe is probably more dentrimental to your overall health than drinking green tea is.

The best thing for a healthy prostrate is the orgasm. And I’m not being a smart ass. I can’t recall all the Ts and Cs, but surely google will - but IIRC the issue with men is mainly that they have a high T count and infrequent “exercise” of the prostrate.

My favorite places to get tea:
teafromTaiwan dot com (in Taiwan, a bit spendy)
and
RedBlossonTea dot com (in SFO, HUGE selection so if you’re ever there stop in and they’ll do 3 brews on as many as you care to try - for a nice, aromatic change I urge you to try the lavender tea {and it’s always better on the second cupping})

For the curious, they both have some good info on what, exactly, is black, white, and green tea.

Don