Green Tea Is Awful How Do You Drink It!!!!?

I just drinking some green tea for the first time. It was obsolutely awful! And it being so hot didn’t help matters. I had to wait for it to become luke warm just so I could guzzle it down and shove some type of food in my mouth to combat the taste.

It is a bit different from standard tea, especially if you are used to having it with milk and sugar. Try a few different varieties, you might be suprised by the variation in flavour.

One tip is to not over-brew it, the bitterness tends to increase with brewing time.

Scrooge makes a good point about the brewing. If you use tea bags or leaves, let the water you boiled cool for about 3 minutes before adding the tea. If you use a bag, don’t keep it in the water for longer than 3 minutes.

He is right about all the different flavors of green tea too. The stuff you get at Chinese and Japanese restaurants takes some getting used to. Try mint green, it goes down really easy.

You can also add ice or keep the tea in your fridge for the summer drinking season.

I know most girls just hold their nose when something tastes bad. What’s that, you’re not a girl? Oh.

[quote]apayne wrote:
I know most girls just hold their nose when something tastes bad. What’s that, you’re not a girl? Oh.[/quote]

Dude, apayne, you have got the be the funniest motherfucker in this whole place.

And that avatar of Uncle Rico just makes it funnier.

Hahahaha.

I guess it’s an aquired taste because I like it hot or cold, unsweetened.

I also had this happen, I started out and got the green tea with the old chinese guy on the box. I thought it would be hardcore… man was I right, stuff tasted like dirt in a bag. Then I tried some that looked a bit more pussified, and they were actually quite good. Mint is the best too, I can pound like 5 cups of that stuff every morning.

I tried tea-tech on a recommendatino by Shugart, and it’s good stuff. I have yet to give it to someone who didn’t think it was good. Not that I’ve done a national taste test or anything…

Start out with sweetening it with say a teaspoon of honey, then gradually reduce the amount of sweetener. Before you know it you will be drinking it with no sweetener and enjoying it.

I find that adding Luzianne unsweetened tea flavoring really improves the taste.

Uga

Get some Peppermint tea and brew it together with the green tea.

In my Crystal Light.

So, throw a couple tea bags in the jug, toss in some hot water from the tap, swirl it. Wait a few minutes. Throw out the tea bags. Mix in flavoring.

I’m not big on drinking plain tap water, though I do water down the mix described above. Over brewing the tea has a huge impact on the taste!

use green tea extract in pill form

i agree, when i first had it, it tasted like some sort of spawn of the devil.

Just stick to not overbrewing, and adding some sort of sweetener, be it honey sugar or whatever.

Also i have some authentic chinese hardcore stuff which is a bit different than the “normal” - very bitter. Try Gunpowder green tea it seems naturally sweeter IMO.

maltodextrin anyone?

lol…I’m sorry I cannot sympathize too well when it comes to green tea. I’ve grown up with green tea since I was a lil kid. But I have had it with honey added to it, of course it tastes different (if not better for others). I do wonder what it would be like with maltodextrin in it or dextrose.

i’ve been getting green tea from japan every spring for about ten years.

the steeping technique is not the same as black tea because green is is fresh and more delicate you steep it very fast. its meant to be light. if you want stronger tea you use black. its good for your health because its fresh, and just like vegetables you lose the benefit if you cook it too much. Plus it tastes terrible. The japanese steep green tea for about 30 seconds. a minute at the most.

also because the leaves are of green teas are fresh and more delicate the water temp should be cooler -180f at the most and some teas i have do better at about 165f. lower temp is also good if you?re just drinking it for the benefits cause then you can just drink it all down with the leaves before it gets to bitter.

if you get the real thing fresh from japan and a single serve tea pot you can use the leaves about 4-5 times. so one serving keeps me going for most of the day. the second cup is usually the best tasting as the edge comes off a bit and the japanese will always serve a guest the second cup of teas from the pot.

most packaged teas aren’t that good , again because green tea is a fresh product. but if you’re just looking for the health benefit and some caffeine then they’ll do fine.
remember to use lower temp water and steep it no longer than a minute.

I tried Gunpowder Green Tea just this morning. Good stuff. I like Tazo tea as well. They have some really good green tea flavors.

Like Bino said, try the Tea Tech brand Shugart talked about in one of his blogs.

The lemon and raspberry flavors are good. The regular flavor, however, leaves something to be extremely desired.

You guy must be joking, right? Green tea is one of the more tame teas out there. Y’all are a bunch of slack-jawed faggots. You should try some lapsang souchong tea. This stuff here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus. It literally tastes like what you would imagine an ashtray would taste like.

[quote]zeropointzero wrote:
You guy must be joking, right? Green tea is one of the more tame teas out there. Y’all are a bunch of slack-jawed faggots. You should try some lapsang souchong tea. This stuff here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus. It literally tastes like what you would imagine an ashtray would taste like.[/quote]

I never thought I would hear quotes from Predator used in a conversation about green tea.

Russian Caravan Tea - It tastes like its ass-filtered. Give it a try.