Green Tea: Hot or Cold?

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
How about the powdered green tea concentrate that you just throw in a jug of cold water and shake up?

Kind of like the Crystal Light things, but with green tea. Anybody know how good/bad those are compared to brewing it?

Read above.

Prof, are you referring to the posts that talked about the “canned” or “bottled” stuff being full of sugar?

The stuff I’ve been using is 4C Totally Light Green Tea mix, and is sweetened with Splenda. Anybody have any knowledge/opinions of this sort of thing? Or do I need to start buying tea bags?[/quote]

No, I was talking about the Lipton’s. I don’t use a full serving of powder when dieting. I use just enough to flavor my water (which is usually half of whatever is recommended). Other than that, I like Lipton’s and will probably use it from now on when gearing my training towards dropping weight.

Is it true that green tea, when served hot starts losing its potency after an hour?

Does anybody else get nauseous from it? I am not stimulant sensitive but sometime green tea makes me queasy.

If you prefer to drink tea cold, a very quick way to prepare it (without using ice) is to use only about 1/4 the amount of hot water when steeping. This will result in a very strong and concentrated brew, to which you will dilute (and cool down) with 3/4 amount of cold water.

This works well whether preparing just one cup or an entire pitcher of tea.

Tea should be consumed as soon as possible after brewing. Tea leaves are superior, in taste and content, to tea bags.

If you want cold tea - brew it strong and cool it down fast with ice. Here are some ‘facts’:
http://www.2basnob.com/health-benefits-of-tea.html
Are All Teas Equally Good for the Body?

This is a question researchers are still squabbling over. Does green tea have more antioxidants than black tea? Should I drink instant tea or loose leaf tea for better health benefits? Is hot tea better than iced tea? And here?s what it comes down to:

? Higher quality teas may have more catechin antioxidants than lower quality teas.

? White tea has more antioxidants than any other tea.

? Green tea has more catechin antioxidants than black tea since black tea goes through more processing.

? Unfermented rooibos tea has more polyphenol antioxidants than fermented rooibos.

? Freshly brewed teas have more polyphenol antioxidants than instant or bottled teas.

? More researchers seem to agree that brewed (cold or hot) or caffeinated tea has more antioxidants than instant teas.

Here?s a short preview of the hundreds of recent studies that boast the health benefits of tea and its antioxidants:

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but does serving green tea hot (tea bag & boiling water) versus cold (bottled iced tea) make a real difference in terms of the benefits of drinking it? I’ve heard it is quite helpful for fat loss and has anti-inflamatory effects as well, but I am not a big tea drinker. So I wanted to try it different ways in order to find which one I find most palatable. Then the above occurred to me. Your thoughts are appreciated.[/quote]

Any place that doesn’t sell loose tea by itself is suspicious. Tea needs room to brew well. Putting tea leaves in paper bags is not good.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
Heh peets, what a worthless place. Overpriced crap targeted for people that dont want to throw money away at starbucks, Instead you throw it away at peets.

This stuff is damn good and excellent quality: http://www.revolutiontea.com/
[/quote]

[quote]skor wrote:
Any place that doesn’t sell loose tea by itself is suspicious. Tea needs room to brew well. Putting tea leaves in paper bags is not good.

BoxBabaX wrote:
Heh peets, what a worthless place. Overpriced crap targeted for people that dont want to throw money away at starbucks, Instead you throw it away at peets.

This stuff is damn good and excellent quality: http://www.revolutiontea.com/

[/quote]

Thanks, I am familiar with the typical “tea-bagging” (lol) process. And i still stand by my comment, revolution tea has products of excellent quality.