T Nation

Green Tea Gum

Does anyone have any information or recommendations on green tea gum? My fiance likes green tea but recently saw a commercial for the gum. Supposedly, one piece is comparable to 2 cups of green tea. Any thoughts?

Hey, there Built Big!

Boy, that EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) sure is good stuff. EGCG is the primary polyphenol found in green tea and the one to which all the many health benefits of drinking green tea are attributed.

Some of the benefits attributed to green tea and EGCG are:

• Antioxidant activity
  • Cancer protection
  • Cholesterol reduction
  • Blood pressure reduction
  • Antibacterial and antiviral activity
  • Protection against radiation
  • Reduction of body fat
  • Reduction of blood sugar
  • Prevents cavities & gum disease
If she enjoys chewing gum, I could think of worse brands/types. But if the goal is to get a certain number of milligrams of EGCG, I'd look at the cost per milligram and make my decision based on that.

Thanks Terry! I appreciate your help.

My pleasure, Built Big!!! It was a fun topic to research. (grin)

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
My pleasure, Built Big!!! It was a fun topic to research. (grin)[/quote]

Hey Terry,
while you are on this, are there any studies out there that recommend a certain amount of EGCG (or even Green Tea in general) to see the required benefits?

Thanks,

Gary

Yo, Gary! Long time, no speak!!! (grin)

The dosage is highly variable. In a Swiss study, a daily dose of 270mg EGCG (the amount in 2 to 3 cups of green tea) caused men to burn 4% more energy. Yet if you had cancer (or it ran in the family), I’d probably be recommending 675mg or more (the equivalent of 10 cups of green tea).

Decide on the benefit you most desire, and then research that benefit + green tea + dosage recommended.

Hi Terry,
thanks for the quick shot of information. I’ll be looking into this a little more as I’ve trouble drinking enough Green Tea on a daily basis.

One more thing, though. With so many green tea extracts out on the market, is there anything to look out for in terms of quality and brand name?

Thanks again.

Gary

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
Yo, Gary! Long time, no speak!!! (grin)

The dosage is highly variable. In a Swiss study, a daily dose of 270mg EGCG (the amount in 2 to 3 cups of green tea) caused men to burn 4% more energy. Yet if you had cancer (or it ran in the family), I’d probably be recommending 675mg or more (the equivalent of 10 cups of green tea).

Decide on the benefit you most desire, and then research that benefit + green tea + dosage recommended.[/quote]

Gary, all you need to do is look at the PERCENTAGE of EGCG and the AMOUNT of EGCG in mg you’re getting. EGCG is EGCG. It’s not the amount the capsule holds; it’s the calculated amount of EGCG you’re comparing for a given price.

One little bit of trivia that might motivate you all the more to include EGCG into your supplement regimen is that it is something like 200 times more potent than Vitamin E as an antioxicant!