Green Tea Dosage

Mr. Kalman, I’ve searched the site and forum for a recommended dose of green tea to add to MD6 and while there have been some good posts I thought I’d pick your brain. Any specific dosage of catechins come to mind? Thanks.

-Bodyguard

bump… i’d also like to know.

We had a great discussion on this topic about 2 months ago. You can read the entire thread entitle “Green Tea - How Much?” Just use “green tea” as you key word and it should be the first thread that comes up. Doug Kalman participated in that post also, if you want to hear his opinion.

Below is one of my original posts to that thread:

"Much of the cancer-preventive effects of green tea are mediated by EGCG , the major polyphenolic constituent of green tea (2). One cup (240 mL) of brewed green tea contains up to 200 mg EGCG." - Hasan Mukhtar and Nihal Ahmad. Tea polyphenols: prevention of cancer and optimizing health. Am J Clin Nutr 2000 71: 1698S-1702S. Since the study cited, took 3 pills of the green tea extract a day, EGCG content was 270 mg. So I guess, an intake of about 2 cups of green tea (assuming good quality tea) would do the trick. I already take enough pills, so I rather take in the whole food (or whole tea). I admit that I was lazy when asking the question, so for anyone else interested in learning about tea, there are several good articles available at ajcn.com, just type in green tea or tea into the search engine. Pretty cool stuff!

But Kelly Baggett also provided a link to a great article at mercola.com, which talked about the potential negative effect of the fluoride toxicity that comes with excessive drinking of green tea.

Currently, I drink green tea occasionally, but if I was to really try to take advantage of the fat burning effects, I would use an extract at a dosage of 270mg of EGCG.

Either way, you should definately read that thread for more information.

Thanks Jason but I did indeed look through that thread (both while it was active and again yesterday). It was certainly informative and provided a good range for a proper dosing protocol. I just thought the “bloodhound scientist” may have something “new” to contribute.
-Bodyguard