T Nation

Green Tea and Building Muscle

I’m wondering if drinking green tea (2-4 cups per day) has any negative effects on building muscle.I’ve been looking around for any information on this but I can’t seem to find anything.

[quote]cftapsel wrote:
I’m wondering if drinking green tea (2-4 cups per day) has any negative effects on building muscle.I’ve been looking around for any information on this but I can’t seem to find anything. [/quote]

Well, it’s anecdotal, but I’ve upped my green tea consumption dramatically in the last few months and I haven’t noticed a problem gaining weight or strength at all.

[quote]cftapsel wrote:
I’m wondering if drinking green tea (2-4 cups per day) has any negative effects on building muscle.I’ve been looking around for any information on this but I can’t seem to find anything. [/quote]

You’re joking, right?

No, if I was I wouldn’t have posted…dick.

I’m just trying to make sense of it. Supposedly green tea accelerates your metabolism, so I was wondering if that in turn would affect ones ability to add muscle.

Thanks for being an ass though, very helpful.

1 Like

If it accelerates ones metabolism wouldn’t it inhibit ones ability to add muscle? I’m not saying its going to prevent it, just not as much as usual.

If you can’t find any information online suggesting that green tea consumption interferes with muscle building, I’d say there’s a good chance it doesn’t.

Add that to the fact that many of the authors here tout it’s benefits, along with the rest of the health and nutrition community, I’d say you’re pretty hard pressed to find a reason not to drink it.

Lets paraphrase this.

If it interfered with muscle building in any noticeable way, there is no way there would be so many recommendations for it here on T-Nation.

I think the acceleration in metabolism would be too small to affect your muscle building potential, especially if you’re eating enough and training hard.

Plus the good effects of green tea far outweigh this for it to be an issue.

If your that worried and not gaining. Simple eat more food with it

Phill

[quote]cftapsel wrote:

I’m just trying to make sense of it. Supposedly green tea accelerates your metabolism, so I was wondering if that in turn would affect ones ability to add muscle.

Thanks for being an ass though, very helpful.[/quote]

If you had to deal with newb posts like this all the time, then you’d probably be an asshole too. What is up with people coming here and posting the dumbest questions? Next thing I’m going to see a post of someone asking if eggs shrink your kidneys. Look, it is simple mathematics. If you do burn a few extra calories by drinking a bunch of green tea, then EAT EXTRA CALORIES. Do you really have to ask that though? Or do you not know how to do simple math called add and subtraction?

There is a theory that says too much antioxidents can impair muscle growth.
But the right amount of antioxidents will help muscle recovery.

I think that one of the authors on here may of mentioned it once.

But i wouldn’t call 2-4 cups “too much”.

My guess is that 4 cups of green tea burn 100 extra calories.
Wouldn’t take much to replace.

Although it seems like an interesting theory, I wouldn’t put much thought into it. My last bulk I did, I was eating fruits and vegetables by the gallons, along with other foods, obviously. It probably helped me more than anything as far as recovery goes.

[quote]tv wrote:

Wouldn’t take much to replace.[/quote]

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Although it seems like an interesting theory, I wouldn’t put much thought into it. My last bulk I did, I was eating fruits and vegetables by the gallons, along with other foods, obviously. It probably helped me more than anything as far as recovery goes.
tv wrote:

[/quote]

Not disagreeing with anyone, but as with anything, moderation is key - even too much of the “healthy” stuff can be bad for you.

Wow. Glad I read this thread!

[quote]rsg wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
tv wrote:

Not disagreeing with anyone, but as with anything, moderation is key - even too much of the “healthy” stuff can be bad for you.[/quote]

As much as this is a wise-ass comment I’m making, I just have to make it.

Incidentally I was reading up on green tea today, and found at least one study which implies that moderation is indeed not the key – where the last line of the conclusion of the study was “Therefore, the more green tea patients consume, the less likely they are to have CAD.”, CAD meaning Coronary Artery Disease.

The study was; Sano J, Inami S, Seimiya K, Ohba T, Sakai S, Takano T, Mizuno K. Effects of green tea intake on the development of coronary artery disease. Circ J. 2004 Jul;68(7):665-70., PMID: 15226633

IIRC Berardi recommends at least 3 cups per day if you’re after the antioxidant effect :slight_smile: … 3 cups is the minimum I’m aiming for these days :wink:

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
cftapsel wrote:

If you had to deal with newb posts like this all the time, then you’d probably be an asshole too. What is up with people coming here and posting the dumbest questions? Next thing I’m going to see a post of someone asking if eggs shrink your kidneys. Look, it is simple mathematics. If you do burn a few extra calories by drinking a bunch of green tea, then EAT EXTRA CALORIES. Do you really have to ask that though? Or do you not know how to do simple math called add and subtraction?[/quote]

No one made you post a reply to this post, so you were just being a dick.

Drink your green tea it’s good for you. if it boosts your metabolism it will actually help you add muscle if you make up for the extra calories.

yeah, but it depends on how much is too much. No two need the same amount of calories, nutrients, ect. A 240 pound bodybuilder would need more carbohydrates, calories, protein, fat, and and antioxidants than 170 pound athlete.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
tv wrote:

Not disagreeing with anyone, but as with anything, moderation is key - even too much of the “healthy” stuff can be bad for you.[/quote]

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
cftapsel wrote:

If you had to deal with newb posts like this all the time, then you’d probably be an asshole too. What is up with people coming here and posting the dumbest questions? Next thing I’m going to see a post of someone asking if eggs shrink your kidneys. Look, it is simple mathematics. If you do burn a few extra calories by drinking a bunch of green tea, then EAT EXTRA CALORIES. Do you really have to ask that though? Or do you not know how to do simple math called add and subtraction?

Drink your green tea it’s good for you. if it boosts your metabolism it will actually help you add muscle if you make up for the extra calories.[/quote]

Don’t jump to conclusions. I’m sure that Cthulhu is a biochemist/nutritionist/famous coach who is beleaguered by constant questions from people seeking his advice.

[quote]steinnes wrote:

Incidentally I was reading up on green tea today, and found at least one study which implies that moderation is indeed not the key – where the last line of the conclusion of the study was “Therefore, the more green tea patients consume, the less likely they are to have CAD.”, CAD meaning Coronary Artery Disease.

The study was; Sano J, Inami S, Seimiya K, Ohba T, Sakai S, Takano T, Mizuno K. Effects of green tea intake on the development of coronary artery disease. Circ J. 2004 Jul;68(7):665-70., PMID: 15226633

IIRC Berardi recommends at least 3 cups per day if you’re after the antioxidant effect :slight_smile: … 3 cups is the minimum I’m aiming for these days ;-)[/quote]

I think you missed my point. Water is good for you and essential for ones survival, but drink too much and you’ll die.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
cftapsel wrote:

Drink your green tea it’s good for you. if it boosts your metabolism it will actually help you add muscle if you make up for the extra calories.[/quote]

And what would make him post a question about burning calories with green tea if he knows that he can simply make up for it by eating more calories?

Maybe he shouldn’t post stupid threads about green tea affecting muscle building. This by far is probably the dumbest question I’ve seen asked on T-Nation. Obviously it would acquire simple math. If you’re building muscle and you are burning more than you consume, then you won’t build muscle.

If you’re burning enough calories drinking green tea, then make up for it by eating more. I don’t even want to know what T-Nation will be like in five years, due to the increasing amount of newbs that log in here day by day to ask the dumbest questions. Hopefully not another MENSHEALTH site.

[quote]rsg wrote:
steinnes wrote:

IIRC Berardi recommends at least 3 cups per day if you’re after the antioxidant effect :slight_smile: … 3 cups is the minimum I’m aiming for these days :wink:

I think you missed my point. Water is good for you and essential for ones survival, but drink too much and you’ll die.[/quote]

I hear you.