Greatest Unknown Song

Was talking to a friend about songs that have had the greatest impact on us, and I realized that the ones we listed are probably completely unknown to most people. It seems like the songs that truly touch people are not going to be on the top 40.

I came to the conclusion that I am probably missing a lot of great music. What is your number one unheard song??

1. Coma - Guns and Roses

Feelin’ Good Again–Robert Earl Keen

It just puts me in a happy, mellow trance. It completely captures that perfect dream feeling.

Standin’ down on Main Street
Across from Mr, Blues
In my faded leather jacket
And my weathered Brogan shoes
A chill north wind was blowin’
But the spring was comin’ on
As I wondered to myself
Just how long I had been gone

So I strolled across old Main Street
Walked down a flight of stairs
Stepped into the hall
And saw all my friends were there
A neon sign was flashin’ “Welcome come on in”
It feels so good feelin’ good again

Instrumental

My favorite band was playin’
An Otis Redding song
When they sang the chorus
Everybody sang along
Dan and Margarita
were swayin’ side by side
I heard they were divorcin’
But I guess they let it slide
And I wished I had some money with
which to buy a round

I wished I’d cashed my paycheck
Before I came to town
But I reached into my pocket
Found three twenties and a ten

There was old man Perkins
Sittin’ on his stool
Watchin’ Butch and Jimmy John
Talkin’ loud and playin’ pool
The boys from Silver City
Were standin’ by the fire
Singin’ like they thought
they were the Tabernacle choir
And I wanted you to see them all
I wished that you were there
I looked across the room
and saw you standin’ on the stair
And when I caught your eye
I saw you break into a grin

Heres is one. Some in Australia/New Zealand will know it but I doubt anyone outside will.

Dreaming - Scribe

[quote]Shaved wrote:
Was talking to a friend about songs that have had the greatest impact on us, and I realized that the ones we listed are probably completely unknown to most people. It seems like the songs that truly touch people are not going to be on the top 40.

I came to the conclusion that I am probably missing a lot of great music. What is your number one unheard song??

1. Coma - Guns and Roses[/quote]

Oooh, good one… but I might have gone with Rocket Queen from GNR.

Bootsy Collins - I’d Rather Be With You. I can’t explain why I like it so much…

[quote]helga wrote:
Heres is one. Some in Australia/New Zealand will know it but I doubt anyone outside will.

Dreaming - Scribe
[/quote]

Ahhh yes Helga that is a great song.Scribe is very talented…whatever happened to him anyway?

A song that no many people would knopw would be a song called Lonely road of faith by Kid rock .Not the greatest song in the world but it give’s me a nice mellow vibe.

Peace

HHH

“Meant to live” - Switchfoot
“Alive and Kicking” - Nonpoint
“Crawling” - Linkin Park
“Somewhere I belong” - Linkin Park
“Chop Suey” - System of a Down
“I’ll be missing you” - Puff Daddy

All of these songs impacted me alot and continue to. Interestingly they are almost all rock even though I have been listening to rap since I was like 8 and I started getting into rock in the last 1-2 years.

I seriously credit the song meant to live with helping me get out of being depressed and helping me loose weight, It’s like the words were talking to me.

I’ll be missing you was good to just sit and chill with while mourning the loss of my uncle, who was a father to me. It has been 2 days short of a year since he died, and my a good part of my underlying motivation for trying to better myself is to become a man that would have made him proud.

So yea, I love these songs and can listen to them on repeat for hours on end on full volume screaming the lyrics when no one is home… because I’m weird like that lol.

[quote]King of Kings wrote:

Ahhh yes Helga that is a great song.Scribe is very talented…whatever happened to him anyway?
[/quote]

He is playing at the Homebake festival in Sydney on 2nd December along with all the best Aussie music around.

My Friend by Jimi Hendrix…

Talk about waxing poetic!

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
“Crawling” - Linkin Park
[/quote]

I wouldnt exactly call these unknown songs.

“Holla at Me”-Tupac Shakur

This appears to be one of his less known songs but is one of my favorites.

“Until I Collapse”-Eminem

One of his less known songs but in my opinion, one of his angriest.

waterfront - john lee hooker

Aspidistra Flies by Stars (a canadian band I think)

[quote]helga wrote:
Phatshady912 wrote:
“Crawling” - Linkin Park

I wouldnt exactly call these unknown songs.[/quote]

Touche, I seem to have focused on the songs that have impacted you part of his initial post, and not his actual question…

“Amendment” and “Best I Am” - Flaw

“Killing the Blues” -I like the Shawn Colvin version.

keen is badass. I had never heard of him before then saw him in concert one night with my buddy who’s a big fan.

All I can say is that the road goes on forever and the party never ends!

the song Sunset Strip Bitch by Eve6 always gives me a good laugh.

a lot of Zebrahead songs were a mainstay of what I used to listen to, and pretty much nobody knows who those guys are.

OAR - Crazy Game of Poker. I heard that probably the first night I was in college, and somehow, someway it would always makes it’s self onto some speakers at about 3-6am on some of those memorable late nights and everyone would yell out those lyrics like there was no tomorrow.

For my generation, 80’s rock isn’t too popular, but we used to party to that like it was 1989.

Howabout Cadillac Ranch by Chris Ledoux. Just a good damn song.

Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes (as corny as it is, that’s a song that will score you a girl if there ever was one)

Fat Amy - Purple. Just a good song.

the riddlin kids first CD - good tunes for to ‘wake up’ to

Alabama - Cheap Seats - baseball is awesome.

The verve - the Freshman a classic

The Who - Teenage Wasteland (it’s amazing how many people say they haven’t heard this BAMF song…)

Dennis Leary - Asshole and Human Being - cheetahs can’t drive a car, human beings can shave their balls, ferret tastes chicken, and big fucking guns gives mankind the right to kill.

I’m sure there’s others, but that’s what’s on the top of my head this evening.

Good thread topic.

I can think of a bunch, but the one’s I think hit me the hardest were from the album “Fight for Your Mind” by Ben Harper.

Give a Man a Home
By your side
Lords’ Arms
Another Lonely Day

In 2000, I was going through a divorce, my closest grand-dad passed away, and my rebound girlfriend and I broke up. Perfect formula for a country song I suppose, but a helluva year for me personally. Ben’s tunes kept me company when I’d sit alone in my room trying to figure shit out. I’d recommend that album to anyone who’s heart is suffering and pain strains their smile. That album heals.

B.

the who - baba o’reilly
dream theater - hollow years (live at budokan)
dream theater - pull me under
the tragically hip - 38 years old
the tragically hip - little bones
sweatshop union - try
smashing pumpkins - cherub rock
powerman 5000 - free
atmosphere - tryin to find a balance
a tribe called quest - like it like that
matthew good band - load me up

diffrent mix of tunes, but I find most people have never heard this ones.