Greatest Song Ever (All Genres)

To me it’s The Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin. I love The Rolling Stones but hey, hey what can I say. I tried to debate the absolute greatness of Led Zep with someone and got sent home with the Wings Greatest Hits and All Things Must Pass. Oh well/

flame if you want but they are oustanding musicians and have written some damn good songs

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
Some people treat the Beatles like a fucking religion. It’s a band.

Interesting statement from a guy who has Lydon as an avatar, and cops his whole contrary vibe in these forums as well.

[/quote]

Would my opinion be more valid if I had a John Lennon avatar?

I’m just doing it because I think it’s cool to be a dick. It’s not like I’ve actually thought about any of this. I love Johnny Rotten; he’s my hero. I want to be just like him.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
re: Beatles

I don’t think it’s an issue if anyone here likes them or not that places them great amongst greats.

It’s the fact that just about every artist/song listed would not exist if not for the influence of the Beatles either directly or indirectly.[/quote]

Again: bullshit. The rock n roll of the fifties and the jazz /blues is what influenced the bands of today first and foremost. The Beatles came in after the thing was started and did very little in the way of novelty. Most of that was the framework of the pop songs we hear on the radio today that we all hate.

Saying the Beatles did any more than say, Buddy Holly, or a number of other guys, is just stupid. The Beatles simply became ridiculously popular, but in a very superficial ‘pop music’ way. Have they had some influence? Of course, but they did not change the way people made music. They changed the way people made money from music, and the way music was advertised and fed to the people, maybe, but not what the music actually is.

The Beatles showed up at the right time in the right place with the right people. The music was irrelevant. It had to be, because it’s really not very good music. Thing is, people have been born into a Beatlemaniacal world where everyone loves them. It’s propaganda and peer pressure. All the people that weren’t born into it are dead now, so there’s no voice of opposition, and everyone just accepts what they’re told.

Everyone born after 1940 has been sucking at the Beatle tit for so long they don’t care or even stop to think the milk is a bit sour.

When one looks at it honestly and somewhat objectively, the Beatles are just another decent band that made some catchy tunes that people liked. Dime a dozen. I’ll agree with that easily. Then it just comes down to personal preference. Whether you like the sound or not. If someone said ‘I don’t like the Pretenders’ I’d say that’s fine. It’s normal, as we all have different tastes in music.

But if anyone ever says ‘I don’t like the Beatles’ then what’s happened here happens, and it becomes a whole other monster. People start their cultish, blind-faith Beatle-worship. They never even think that it’s just another band, no more, no less. there’s nothing wrong with that.

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
To me it’s The Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin. I love The Rolling Stones but hey, hey what can I say. I tried to debate the absolute greatness of Led Zep with someone and got sent home with the Wings Greatest Hits and All Things Must Pass. Oh well/[/quote]

It is the Beatles vs. Zeppelin and Electric Magic wins in the end. Musically, they are much more diverse. And as musicians, Zeppelin are superior to the Beatles.

I haven’t even taken into consideration how fantastic Zeppelin is live. In that area, no one can touch them!

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Just to provide some perspective on this topic…

Here is a link to Rolling Stone magazines top 500 rock and roll songs of all time, published in 2004.

1.“Like a Rolling Stone”, Bob Dylan
2.“(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, The Rolling Stones
3.“Imagine”, John Lennon
4.“What’s Going On”, Marvin Gaye
5.“Respect”, Aretha Franklin
6.“Good Vibrations”, The Beach Boys
7.“Johnny B. Goode”, Chuck Berry
8.“Hey Jude”, The Beatles
9.“Smells Like Teen Spirit”, Nirvana
10. “What’d I Say”, Ray Charles

Thoughts?

Aside from Numbers 2, 6, and 8, I find this list a bit odd.

Dustin

There is NO way in hell that Marvin Gaye deserves to be on the top 10 of the 500 best “Rock and Roll” songs and Led Zep is not on there. Good Vibrations in the rock category… ehhh, I guess.

I remember there being a lot of talk about this list being total garbage. Along with their “Best Singers Of the Rock and Roll Era” list which was basically panned by everyone. Bob Dylan was WAY up on the list while guys who have iconic voices were way on the bottom. [/quote]

Numbers 4,5,9 and 10 are the most asinine!

The Stones at number 2 is about the only song on this Top 10 list that I don’t have a problem with, although I would have it closer to 9 or 10.

“Good Vibrations” only makes since in that the Beach Boys have been influential. I guess Rolling Stone thought the Theramin was so cool that they put the song in the top 10!

Hands down my top 2 favorite songs of all time, and I can listen to either of these at any time during anything and enjoy them the most

Dream Theater - Wait for Sleep
Goo Goo Dolls - Black Balloon

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
re: Beatles

I don’t think it’s an issue if anyone here likes them or not that places them great amongst greats.

It’s the fact that just about every artist/song listed would not exist if not for the influence of the Beatles either directly or indirectly.

Again: bullshit. The rock n roll of the fifties and the jazz /blues is what influenced the bands of today first and foremost. The Beatles came in after the thing was started and did very little in the way of novelty. Most of that was the framework of the pop songs we hear on the radio today that we all hate.

Saying the Beatles did any more than say, Buddy Holly, or a number of other guys, is just stupid. The Beatles simply became ridiculously popular, but in a very superficial ‘pop music’ way. Have they had some influence? Of course, but they did not change the way people made music. They changed the way people made money from music, and the way music was advertised and fed to the people, maybe, but not what the music actually is.

The Beatles showed up at the right time in the right place with the right people. The music was irrelevant. It had to be, because it’s really not very good music. Thing is, people have been born into a Beatlemaniacal world where everyone loves them. It’s propaganda and peer pressure. All the people that weren’t born into it are dead now, so there’s no voice of opposition, and everyone just accepts what they’re told.

Everyone born after 1940 has been sucking at the Beatle tit for so long they don’t care or even stop to think the milk is a bit sour.

When one looks at it honestly and somewhat objectively, the Beatles are just another decent band that made some catchy tunes that people liked. Dime a dozen. I’ll agree with that easily. Then it just comes down to personal preference. Whether you like the sound or not. If someone said ‘I don’t like the Pretenders’ I’d say that’s fine. It’s normal, as we all have different tastes in music.

But if anyone ever says ‘I don’t like the Beatles’ then what’s happened here happens, and it becomes a whole other monster. People start their cultish, blind-faith Beatle-worship. They never even think that it’s just another band, no more, no less. there’s nothing wrong with that.[/quote]

x2, GREAT explanation that I agree with completely. Personally I can’t stand the Beatles (Give me some Progressive Metal or Country any day) but the Beatles have influenced both genres artists at least a little bit no doubt.

Glen Matlock loved the Beatles. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please Don’t Leave - Buddy Guy - Blues

Welcome to the Terror Dome - Public Enemy - Rap

Again - Alice n Chains - Grunge?

Vicarious - Tool - Hard Rock

Dig - Mudvayne - Heavy Metal

Mr. Brightside - Killers - Pop? Contemparary Rock?

I like this thread, thinking through Genres… Hope to come up with some more.

Damn that’s a tough one. I’m very fond of Metallica-Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets and a couple more from them.

Nautical Disaster - The Tragically Hip

Screw You, We’re From Texas - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Linger - The Cranberries (I just think she did a magnificent job singing this one)

Nobody’s Fault But Mine - Led Zeppelin

Desperate Times (Live ACL Version) - Charlie Robison

Angry all the Time - Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis

Just Couldn’t Tie Me Down - The Black Keys

Maggie’s Farm - Rage Against the Machine

The Sound of a Train not Running - Chris Knight

After the Lovin’ - Englebert Humperdink

99 Problems - Jay Z

Cissy Strut - The New Meters

1952 Vincent Black Lightning - Richard Thompson, also the cover by Reckless Kelly

I could go on and on but there’s a lot of music I like.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
wfifer wrote:
I can’t pick 10 bands and now I have to narrow it down to one song…jeeze.

Greatest song ever written would probably be something classical. I’m thinking romantic…maybe Chopin…

Moody’s Mood for Love?

Fuck it, I’m going with The Beatles. Either “Happiness Is a Warm Gun” or “Golden Slumbers”/“Carry That Weight”.

I. Fucking. Despise. The Beatles.

How that band got popular, I’ll never understand.[/quote]

lol me too.

best songs ever? i cant say for sure cause i like a song for a month then find another one.

right now im liking Da Summa (Remix) by 3 6 Mafia which features a sample from Rick James - Hollywood

im also feeling Change by Deftones

and atm im listening to Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins

^ Hollywood

^ this has always been one of my favorites, 3-6 Mafia Memphis Remix

^ Who Run It

^ Put Ya Sign

the original crunk shit before that YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA stuff

[quote]WxHerk wrote:

1952 Vincent Black Lightning - Richard Thompson, also the cover by Reckless Kelly
[/quote]

Useless fact: I once roadied for Richard Thompson (and his brother who is as amazing a bassist as Richard is a guitarist).

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
To me it’s The Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin. I love The Rolling Stones but hey, hey what can I say. I tried to debate the absolute greatness of Led Zep with someone and got sent home with the Wings Greatest Hits and All Things Must Pass. Oh well/[/quote]

Zepplin’s the greatest rock band, E.V.E.R.

“Heartbreaker” sucks, though:)

[quote]blaque.ops wrote:
Damn that’s a tough one. I’m very fond of Metallica-Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets and a couple more from them.[/quote]

Mentioning Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets in the same sentence is sacrilegious to me. But well, good call on Master of Puppets.

Tool - Lateralus
and then
Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Glen Matlock loved the Beatles. :P[/quote]

He also would call his mother after every show.

Hence, Sid Vicious.

He was a pretty good bass player, though.