Greatest Song Ever (All Genres)

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Ohh, all you fuckers need to listen to real “great” music.

I present;

The greatest song ever written. Play it loud before you pass judgment,. [/quote]

You know what, I’ve never heard of this band before but I think you may be onto something.

Thanks for the link! I’ve got some cool new listening material.

My contribution:

Silverchair, and Australian music in general, is very much underated in the world - I think they have some incredibly talented people over there.

Watch the solo in this:

Seeing as this thread is titled “Greatest Song Ever (All Genres),” I’m gonna pull the classical music card and mention one the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan William

Some Who Baba O Reilly how about?

Brandy - The Looking Glass

:slight_smile:

Lose Yourself - Eminem - Rap

[quote]Stone101 wrote:
Tool- Lateralus
[/quote]

Yes!

Led Zeppelin - “Over the Hills and Far Away”

Radiohead- Karma Police- Alternative

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

I. Fucking. Despise. The Beatles.

How that band got popular, I’ll never understand.[/quote]

Probably because you’ve never tried… even if you don’t like their songs you gotta respect their ability and what they’ve done.

They where one of the hardest working bands in the history of Rock’n’Roll, playing countless hours live in their early years and just becoming masters of their profession.

Here let me quote:

[quote]"The Beatles ended up travelling to Hamburg five times between 1960 and the end of 1962. On the first trip, they played 106 nights, of five or more hours a night. Their second trip they played 92 times. Their third trip they played 48 times, for a total of 172 hours on stage. The last two Hamburg stints, in November and December 1962, involved another 90 hours of performing.

All told, they performed for 270 nights in just over a year and a half. By the time they had their first burst of success in 1964, they had performed live an estimated 1,200 times, which is extraordinary. Most bands today don’t perform 1,200 times in their entire careers. The Hamburg crucible is what set the Beatles apart."[/quote]

So they had talent and worked their arses off. Now whatever your personal reasons for despising them are, you simply cannot deny their musical ability.

Dead Kennedys -Holiday in cambodia -Punk

[quote]R@NE wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

I. Fucking. Despise. The Beatles.

How that band got popular, I’ll never understand.

Probably because you’ve never tried… even if you don’t like their songs you gotta respect their ability and what they’ve done.

They where one of the hardest working bands in the history of Rock’n’Roll, playing countless hours live in their early years and just becoming masters of their profession.

Here let me quote:

"The Beatles ended up travelling to Hamburg five times between 1960 and the end of 1962. On the first trip, they played 106 nights, of five or more hours a night. Their second trip they played 92 times. Their third trip they played 48 times, for a total of 172 hours on stage. The last two Hamburg stints, in November and December 1962, involved another 90 hours of performing.

All told, they performed for 270 nights in just over a year and a half. By the time they had their first burst of success in 1964, they had performed live an estimated 1,200 times, which is extraordinary. Most bands today don’t perform 1,200 times in their entire careers. The Hamburg crucible is what set the Beatles apart."

So they had talent and worked their arses off. Now whatever your personal reasons for despising them are, you simply cannot deny their musical ability.

[/quote]

I can and will. The Beatles are sissy ponces who made shit pop songs. Anyone can make shit pop songs. They had no more talent than any other musical ‘artist’ who makes shit pop songs. And playing a lot doesn’t make them great, it means they assaulted far more ears than they rightfully should have with their shitty pop tripe.

Some people treat the Beatles like a fucking religion. It’s a band.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
Radiohead- Karma Police- Alternative
[/quote]

Good song.

Just to provide some perspective on this topic…

Here is a link to Rolling Stone magazines top 500 rock and roll songs of all time, published in 2004.

1.“Like a Rolling Stone”, Bob Dylan
2.“(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, The Rolling Stones
3.“Imagine”, John Lennon
4.“What’s Going On”, Marvin Gaye
5.“Respect”, Aretha Franklin
6.“Good Vibrations”, The Beach Boys
7.“Johnny B. Goode”, Chuck Berry
8.“Hey Jude”, The Beatles
9.“Smells Like Teen Spirit”, Nirvana
10. “What’d I Say”, Ray Charles

Thoughts?

Aside from Numbers 2, 6, and 8, I find this list a bit odd.

Dustin

[quote]Dustin wrote:

Here is a link to Rolling Stone magazines top 500 rock and roll songs of all time, published in 2004.

3.“Imagine”, John Lennon

Thoughts?

Dustin[/quote]

seems reasonable i think

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
Lose Yourself - Eminem - Rap[/quote]

sick tune. #1 by Nelly gets me going to

[quote]Dustin wrote:

3.“Imagine”, John Lennon

Thoughts?

Dustin[/quote]

There is NO way in hell that Marvin Gaye deserves to be on the top 10 of the 500 best “Rock and Roll” songs and Led Zep is not on there. Good Vibrations in the rock category… ehhh, I guess.

I remember there being a lot of talk about this list being total garbage. Along with their “Best Singers Of the Rock and Roll Era” list which was basically panned by everyone. Bob Dylan was WAY up on the list while guys who have iconic voices were way on the bottom.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Some people treat the Beatles like a fucking religion. It’s a band.[/quote]

Interesting statement from a guy who has Lydon as an avatar, and cops his whole contrary vibe in these forums as well.

re: Beatles

I don’t think it’s an issue if anyone here likes them or not that places them great amongst greats.

It’s the fact that just about every artist/song listed would not exist if not for the influence of the Beatles either directly or indirectly.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
re: Beatles

I don’t think it’s an issue if anyone here likes them or not that places them great amongst greats.

It’s the fact that just about every artist/song listed would not exist if not for the influence of the Beatles either directly or indirectly.[/quote]

Well said, SD.

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Don Mclean - American Pie[/quote]

x2…If I was stranded on a desert island with just one rock song…I would want this song to keep me company.

But, if we cross all genres…I also have a lot of love for Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin).