Greatest Song Ever (All Genres)

I have to agree with the Beatles being overrated. I think they were average musicians with good song writing ability that just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Had they come around a few years later, they would not have had the same popularity.

As for Greatest song, I think Stairway to Heaven would have to been in the top 5. It’s a masterpiece that was written in just minutes but has easily stood the test of time.

Dustin

I think Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love”.
It had everything: soaring vocals, bombastic ballistic drumming, deep plodding bass (the ingredient that really makes heavy rock sound HEAVY), and a heroic guitar riff laced with searing solo work.
Not only is it a kick-ass song, but it was most likely THE template from which the metal/hard rock genre drew from… even to this day.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

As for Greatest song, I think Stairway to Heaven would have to been in the top 5. It’s a masterpiece that was written in just minutes but has easily stood the test of time.

Dustin[/quote]

Im surprised it took so long for this song to be mentioned. I’d probably put it in the top 5 as well, of which the order could be debated ad nauseum no doubt.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
Pogues - Fairytale of New York
[/quote]

High point of my December 2006 Dublin trip was going to the Brazen Head on a Saturday night to drink Guinness and listen to trad. Drunk middle aged Irish couples gushing out the lyrics to Fairytale of New York. Perfect.

top of my head

pink floyd - wish you were here

dire straits - romeo and juliet

the beatles - a day in the life

Fuck you like an ANIMAL by Nine Inch Nails

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I think Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love”.
It had everything: soaring vocals, bombastic ballistic drumming, deep plodding bass (the ingredient that really makes heavy rock sound HEAVY), and a heroic guitar riff laced with searing solo work.
Not only is it a kick-ass song, but it was most likely THE template from which the metal/hard rock genre drew from… even to this day. [/quote]

You will get no gripes from me with Whole Lotta Love! As you may have noticed, I’m a devout Zeppelin fan!

If this was a list of “favorite” songs instead of the “best”, I would have Achilies or Kashmir ahead of Stairway.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

I’m surprised it took so long for this song to be mentioned. I’d probably put it in the top 5 as well, of which the order could be debated ad nauseum no doubt.[/quote]

I was too. I thought after 30 plus posts someone would have mentioned it.

Here it is the way it was meant to be heard, live!

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Fuck you like an ANIMAL by Nine Inch Nails[/quote]

That would be, “Closer”.

You just wanted to say, “Fuck you like an ANIMAL”, didn’t you?

New Order - Perfect Kiss

Mind.in.a.box - Change

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
New Order - Perfect Kiss

Mind.in.a.box - Change

[/quote]

Are these your favorite songs or what you consider to be the greatest?

No offense, but I have never heard of either of these songs.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
New Order - Perfect Kiss

[/quote]

Better yet:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
wfifer wrote:
Technically they weren’t the most amazing musicians but the song writing was often genius. And I’m a fan of McCartney’s delivery. I get the need to be an iconoclast, I’ve been there…but if you haven’t really explored the entire Beatles library you’re missing out. Abbey Road is what drew me. Other albums are very hit or miss, but we’re judging individual songs here.

That’s the attitude I’m talking about. It’s not just that we have different opinions, it’s like I’m just wrong and possibly mentally deranged.

This happens to me all the time. People always dismiss shit they don’t like to hear with, ‘Oh, you’re just being an iconoclast. Stirring the pot. I get it.’ It’s condescending.

Often, the perpetrators of this phenomenon are Beatles Fans.[/quote]

They’re just like any other band- some very good songs and a lot of bad ones.

I always thought the Stones were way more badass.

Honestly, the best rock n’roll song ever recorded is “Born To Run.” Perfect in every aspect- subject matter, the music, the feeling- epitomizes rock.

Stone Temple Pilots- Plush, both electric and acoustic versions

[quote]NycMan wrote:
Moon Dance by Van Morrison

You won’t find it on You Tube because Warner owns the copyright to it and will not allow anyone to upload it. [/quote]

Good fucking choice.

Chris Cornell - Wave Goodbye

Actually pretty much that entire album is up there.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
Fuck you like an ANIMAL by Nine Inch Nails

That would be, “Closer”.

You just wanted to say, “Fuck you like an ANIMAL”, didn’t you?[/quote]

The song is okay at best in my opinion… The best song ever?? I guess we just have different tastes.

Akinyele - Put It In Your Mouth

[quote]SSC wrote:

You are awesome.