T Nation

Greatest Grad Gift

I’m graduating from high school this year and as a graduation gift, my parents decided to get me a pretty expensive laptop. And, I just convinced them to let me purchase 1000 dollars worth of supplements to take to with me to college.

I was thinking something along the lines of 20 tubs of Metabolic Drive, 12 tubs of Surge, 8 bottles of ZMA, and 5 bottles of Carbolin 19. What do you guys think? Would it hurt to throw in a bottle or two of the new TRIBEX or Alpha Male?

I’m 5’11" and a pretty lean 180 lbs. Been training “smart” for about 1 year and I get in around 3500-4000 cals daily.

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:
I’m graduating from high school this year and as a graduation gift, my parents decided to get me a pretty expensive laptop. And, I just convinced them to let me purchase 1000 dollars worth of supplements to take to with me to college.

I was thinking something along the lines of 20 tubs of Metabolic Drive, 12 tubs of Surge, 8 bottles of ZMA, and 5 bottles of Carbolin 19. What do you guys think? Would it hurt to throw in a bottle or two of the new TRIBEX or Alpha Male?

I’m 5’11" and a pretty lean 180 lbs. Been training “smart” for about 1 year and I get in around 3500-4000 cals daily. [/quote]

Dude, whether it’s your money, their money or anyone else’s money, $1,000 worth of supplements?? In one shot?? For a college-age guy who’s entering prime of his natural growth phase?? Have them put that money in a savings bond for you. Then go off to college and eat like a fucking great white shark coming off a hunger strike. That is ALL you need to do.

Supplements (any) will be of miniscule difference at that age, and certainly won’t be worth the $1,000 you’ll sink into them, even over the course of your whole 4 years of college. You’ll have a cafeteria seving all-you-can-eat meals. Take advantage.

Trust me.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Cartman8675 wrote:
I’m graduating from high school this year and as a graduation gift, my parents decided to get me a pretty expensive laptop. And, I just convinced them to let me purchase 1000 dollars worth of supplements to take to with me to college.

I was thinking something along the lines of 20 tubs of Metabolic Drive, 12 tubs of Surge, 8 bottles of ZMA, and 5 bottles of Carbolin 19. What do you guys think? Would it hurt to throw in a bottle or two of the new TRIBEX or Alpha Male?

I’m 5’11" and a pretty lean 180 lbs. Been training “smart” for about 1 year and I get in around 3500-4000 cals daily.

Dude, whether it’s your money, their money or anyone else’s money, $1,000 worth of supplements?? In one shot?? For a college-age guy who’s entering prime of his natural growth phase?? Have them put that money in a savings bond for you. Then go off to college and eat like a fucking great white shark coming off a hunger strike. That is ALL you need to do.

Supplements (any) will be of miniscule difference at that age, and certainly won’t be worth the $1,000 you’ll sink into them, even over the course of your whole 4 years of college. You’ll have a cafeteria seving all-you-can-eat meals. Take advantage.

Trust me.[/quote]

You bring up an interesting point. However, I figured this would be a pretty good idea considering the quality of “college food”. Also, it isn’t like I would be buying 1 grand worth of “supplements”. I think of this more as buying 1 grand worth of protein and PWO drinks than anything else.

But a savings bond definately sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your thoughts.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Cartman8675 wrote:
I’m graduating from high school this year and as a graduation gift, my parents decided to get me a pretty expensive laptop. And, I just convinced them to let me purchase 1000 dollars worth of supplements to take to with me to college.

I was thinking something along the lines of 20 tubs of Metabolic Drive, 12 tubs of Surge, 8 bottles of ZMA, and 5 bottles of Carbolin 19. What do you guys think? Would it hurt to throw in a bottle or two of the new TRIBEX or Alpha Male?

I’m 5’11" and a pretty lean 180 lbs. Been training “smart” for about 1 year and I get in around 3500-4000 cals daily.

Dude, whether it’s your money, their money or anyone else’s money, $1,000 worth of supplements?? In one shot?? For a college-age guy who’s entering prime of his natural growth phase?? Have them put that money in a savings bond for you. Then go off to college and eat like a fucking great white shark coming off a hunger strike. That is ALL you need to do.

Supplements (any) will be of miniscule difference at that age, and certainly won’t be worth the $1,000 you’ll sink into them, even over the course of your whole 4 years of college. You’ll have a cafeteria seving all-you-can-eat meals. Take advantage.

Trust me.[/quote]

I have to agree with the bond idea, seriously the food aint that bad, save up some cash and eat alot and train hard, and you seriously dont need Alpha Male or TRIBEX, at your age this shit is gona fuck with your natural production of test. Its about Food and training, thats it. Oh, and did I mention HAVING FUN!?

I ate fast food, dining hall food, protein PWO and gained about 25lbs my first year of college going up maybe 2% in BF.

My strength went through the roof, too.

Use the money for partying, it’ll hold you over for like…a week. Drinkin’s expensive…

yeah, im in college now and you are gonna be looking at that closet full of protein wishing you had some gas/food/clothes/girl/date money.

however, from a purely economic point of view, the protein that isnt being used will just sit there under your bed and it is essentially depreciating due to inflation. if you intended to spend the whole 1G on sups, put it in a high yield savings account and just buy as you need it. at least that way you’ll be making interest on your money.

people might counter this by saying that inflation would increase the cost of the sups, but the price response is much slower than its effect on money.

personally, i would start a ROTH IRA. many banks will let you open them up with just $50 a month.

I’m going to agree with what’s been said here. Get some ZMA, and get some bars to have around for late night munchies (better than ordering pizza like we did) and get the bulk of your protein from food. Save the rest of the money; it’s never too early to start saving for retirement.

As for the quality of college food, you’re obviously not going to get prime cuts of meat, but you probably won’t be getting soy burgers, either. And quantity makes up for quality. Just look at Dave Tate’s diet before he decided to lose some fat.

By his own admission, he wasn’t eating enough protein, he was eating crap, and lots of starchy carbs. Look what he was able to accomplish. Stick to the meat dishes, drink milk by the gallon (if you can tolerate the lactose) and you’ll do fine. Save the fancier supps for after graduation when you have a job, can’t eat every 2 hours, and have some stress.

You guys are lucky. I think my mom said something about a briefcase lol.

Anyways, I don’t really agree with that Dave Tate post. Ya, he got big, but he carried a lot of fat. I doubt this guy wants to get fat.

If I were you man, I would buy some protein for shakes and then save the rest of the money for some good food that wouldn’t be available in the caf (nuts, canned fish, basically stuff you can keep in your room). You might also want to get a big supply of fish oil and greens+. Definitly wouldn’t spend a lot on anything fancy though.

[quote]TVG wrote:
You guys are lucky. I think my mom said something about a briefcase lol.

Anyways, I don’t really agree with that Dave Tate post. Ya, he got big, but he carried a lot of fat. I doubt this guy wants to get fat.

If I were you man, I would buy some protein for shakes and then save the rest of the money for some good food that wouldn’t be available in the caf (nuts, canned fish, basically stuff you can keep in your room). You might also want to get a big supply of fish oil and greens+. Definitly wouldn’t spend a lot on anything fancy though.

[/quote]

Let me clarify. Someone had raised the concern that college food isn’t all that high quality. I brought up Dave’s diet as an extreme example of how you can gain muscle on a really low quality diet provided you eat enough.

I wasn’t recommending to our man here that he eat like that, because if he did, the fat would definitely come on. And I would say that you can get way better quality of food in most college meal plans than Dave’s fast food diet.

Bottom line: Anyone who knows even a small amount about what to eat for building muscle, and that should be just about everyone who reads T-Nation, the quality of college food, or lack thereof, should not be a concern.

And I also recommended a stash of protein bars, possibly powder for shakes, just in case the cafeteria goes crazy and decides to serve potato sandwiches on white bread.

Hahaha, just thinking about gaining 20 or so pounds in my first year of college makes me giddy. Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I’m thinking more along the lines now of 5 bottles of flameout, a couple boxes of protein bars, and I can always order a tub or 2 of metabolic drive when I’m craving it.

You guys have me really considering putting the bulk of my money to an account of some sort. I’m also working this summer and will save an additional 3000 dollars. I’m thinking about putting 1500 of that into an account of some sort and keeping the rest for college life. I don’t know much on bonds and all that jazz so some insight would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Good luck in college, man.

[quote]windmill85 wrote:
yeah, im in college now and you are gonna be looking at that closet full of protein wishing you had some gas/food/clothes/girl/date money.

however, from a purely economic point of view, the protein that isnt being used will just sit there under your bed and it is essentially depreciating due to inflation. if you intended to spend the whole 1G on sups, put it in a high yield savings account and just buy as you need it. at least that way you’ll be making interest on your money.

people might counter this by saying that inflation would increase the cost of the sups, but the price response is much slower than its effect on money.

personally, i would start a ROTH IRA. many banks will let you open them up with just $50 a month.[/quote]

Great advice windmill85… furthermore, I guarantee you will make insane gains your first year in school… especially if you eat and train as wisely as you say you do… I also gained about 20 lbs first year… and I didnt touch a supplement until later… youre about to have a lot of fun and youll want that money…

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:
Hahaha, just thinking about gaining 20 or so pounds in my first year of college makes me giddy. Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I’m thinking more along the lines now of 5 bottles of flameout, a couple boxes of protein bars, and I can always order a tub or 2 of metabolic drive when I’m craving it.

You guys have me really considering putting the bulk of my money to an account of some sort. I’m also working this summer and will save an additional 3000 dollars. I’m thinking about putting 1500 of that into an account of some sort and keeping the rest for college life. I don’t know much on bonds and all that jazz so some insight would be appreciated. Thanks again! [/quote]

hey, glad you decided to think about investing. just remember the time-value of money, so the earlier you start the more interest will compound. for investing advice, i think the best thing to do is just read up and do your own study and research. there’s a wealth of information out there and i think it’s best to have at least some knowledge, even if you’re gonna let someone else invest for you.

however, if you want to be fairly safe and you’re gonna be in it for the long haul you might want to look into an index fund. mean reversion means the stock market historically returns a constant %, so an index fund that invests in all the stocks for a give market, ie S&P 500, will always get you that constant mean return. although it isnt as sexy as making that 35%, its constant, steady and secure.

anyways, best of luck in college, i just finished my last exam up today!

I suppose that I’m going to speak for the minority here and suggest that you take your parents up on the offer instead of saving money to party.

I don’t think you particularly need T-boosters at your age, but the protein, PWO drinks, and Flameout will definately be worth the money.

Don’t let anyone fool you into thinking that cafeteria food is good for you either. Just because you get bigger doesn’t mean it’s good for you. I could get bigger on Big Macs, but I’m not going to pretend it’s making me healthy.

Saving the money for food is a noble idea, but when push comes to shove you’ll be more inclined to spend it on booze than tuna. Making sure that your supplements are taken care of will leave you with one less expense.

Also, I doubt that your parents will let you starve so keeping the money for food is unneccessary. You’ll have plenty of money for partying anyway. I know plenty of students who didn’t have the gift you have and still had a blast.

Have your parents invest the money for you.

Then buy yourself a tub or two of the new Biotest Whey. That should last you a while as a supplement to all that food you better be downing at the cafeteria and any free food at events.

Lift heavy, eat, and fuck a lot. Oh and study.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Good luck in college, man.[/quote]

Hey, thanks a lot, I appreciate that. I’m looking forward to having the time of my life.

Holy cow, I didn’t even see the new Biotest Whey that came out yesterday. That’s like 1600 grams of protein in each tub!! That’s gonna save me a butt load of money. I swear this has to be the best supplement company on the market. They’re just unbelievable.

I still have a while to decide what supps to buy, but now I’m realizing more and more that I will be relying mostly on the food there. I signed up for the “highest” meal plan this college has. The way it works is the money you pay goes on a “charge card” that you can use whenever you want to at a variety of food courts. Which means I control how much I want to eat and when (this is including 2 places that are open all night).

I’m gonna have a talk with my parents tonight about investing a good amount of money before I go away. Even though I won’t have the money now, I’m sure I will look back one day and thank myself for making a smart decision at an early age.

When I lived in a dorm, I ate a TON of food. Huge servings for breakfast lunch and dinner every time, and then to-go boxes to tide me over between meals. When I lived in a frat house I ate a pile of food as well. I was best friends with the cook, and she ordered extra eggs for me. I’d get up and cook with her every morning. Eat a ton with lunch and dinner, and store food for inbetween. It was the best thing about being in a fraternity.

Don’t buy anthing other than protien and creatine. Try and have no more than 2 shakes per day. If you bought 10 jugs of Metobolic Drive, or Classic Grow! would be better. That will last for a long time and be pretty cheap. Save your money on everything else. Best of luck

Monopoly

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
none of that can touch what i’m getting in a year:

a month of kali/arnis/escrima training in the philippines

[/quote]

What Kali school are you from?

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
Kliplemet wrote:
none of that can touch what i’m getting in a year:

a month of kali/arnis/escrima training in the philippines

What Kali school are you from?

A Martial Arts Research Systems (MARS) affiliate in Europe. MARS is a subsystem from the Lee-Inosanto lineage, created by Inosanto’s son in law, Ron Balicki. [/quote]

Are you familiar with master norman suanico?

Man, get a laptop. It’s very useful if you plan to do anything technical. Plus being able to do your work somewhere outside is a great plus. If you type well, you can take notes in class. It’s a good investment.

Re: dining plan. Do NOT sign-up for the largest option until you’ve tried their food. I’m sure you can always ADD money to your plan, but taking them out might be a problem. College food can suck BIG time, though some schools really got it down (Harvard, Cornell).

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Good luck in college, man.

Hey, thanks a lot, I appreciate that. I’m looking forward to having the time of my life.

Holy cow, I didn’t even see the new Biotest Whey that came out yesterday. That’s like 1600 grams of protein in each tub!! That’s gonna save me a butt load of money. I swear this has to be the best supplement company on the market. They’re just unbelievable.

I still have a while to decide what supps to buy, but now I’m realizing more and more that I will be relying mostly on the food there. I signed up for the “highest” meal plan this college has. The way it works is the money you pay goes on a “charge card” that you can use whenever you want to at a variety of food courts. Which means I control how much I want to eat and when (this is including 2 places that are open all night).

I’m gonna have a talk with my parents tonight about investing a good amount of money before I go away. Even though I won’t have the money now, I’m sure I will look back one day and thank myself for making a smart decision at an early age. [/quote]