Greatest Film Actor

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

My problem with the “old school” actors is that most seem like theatre actors that moved to film.
[/quote]

That’s true of Bette Davis and many of the actors of the 30’s along with many actors who were previously stage actors. But the period of “film noir” was full of brilliant screen actors who gave very lifelike performances. I’m a huge film noir fan with literally hundreds and hundreds on DVD.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]kenny-mccormick wrote:
One of my favorite actors is Denzel Washington [/quote]

He’s okay but I don’t think any actor today can hold a candle to the stars of the studio era.[/quote]

My problem with the “old school” actors is that most seem like theatre actors that moved to film. Over the top acting, gestures, and the crying was really fake looking. James Dean is a perfect example of this as were most of the women. Nothing looked natural. It looks as if they are acting.

My vote goes to Daniel Day Lewis.[/quote]

I was just going to login to say DDL too. I’m not familiar with a lot of the old school actors but movies are so different now its hard to compare them equally. Even if you don’t agree with the above post its hard to say the acting style wasn’t different and you may have a personal preference for the older style. For new women I’d go with Natalie Portman.

Tom Hanks

If there’s one actor that never failed to impress, its him

Its probably between Brando, Nicholson, and De Niro, but there are so freaking many great actors that are hard to leave off the nomination table.

Check out his films with Werner Herzog.

Kinski always made an huge impression, even when only given a small scene, check out his depiction of the political prisoner in Doctor Zhivago.

He was such a acting genius, even shitty films were kinda wachable because of him.

And he had no qualms whoring himself out to star in trash (“there’s no difference between a prostitue and me”).
As a consequence, quite a lot of his acting career consists of B movies.

But so what, at lest he acted his balls out every time he graced the silver screen.

Above all, he was a perfectionist.
Most directors and actors seemed to have had no problems with him and his temperament, still, Kinski was increasingly “outspoken”, and burned bridges all over Europe, achieving the status of persona non grata first in Germany, then in Italy, then in France.
That’s also a reason for his liberal thoughts on prostitution.

I always considered the Christian Bale breakdown as a deliberate hommage to Kinski- he was the grandmaster of the angry rant.
Some videos of his second career half, where he screams and swears, mostly at idiots are the stuff of legend.

LEt’s hope he’s now in a better hell, performing Shakespeare for Satan on a Giger-made set.

p.s. Jim Carrey? Really?

Klaus is solid. GOAT?

Al Pacino is great and Daniel Day Lewis is exceptional! I really enjoy Jeff Bridges acting, one of my favourite actors in fact. This scene really got to me when I was younger because I wasn’t expecting it

I thought Ben Kingsley is Sexy Beast was fucking brilliant

John Hurt

Richard Harris

Jeremy Irons
Brad Pitt…ah only messin, he’s pretty though…

Feck it the list is too long…

Ye all should post some scenes of your favourite actors in action.

I have always found Pacino and Nicholson overrated, some good films but, it is always “them” no real range.I mean how many times can Pacino get angry and Nicholson give that creepy grin/laugh. De Niro has been going downhill for quite sometime now.

I would add Gary Oldman to the list of greats.

Gary Oldman is amazing.

The greatest of all time? I dunno.

But the way he convincingly brings to life every character and his versatility is simply incredible.

That’s the issue I have with a lot of the “GOAT” actors. They generally just play the same character over and over. And when they do something that is outside their expected expertise, they sometimes fail to deliver.