T Nation

Greatest Fights


#1

In any genre of combat what are some peoples opinion of the greatest fight


#2

No explanation needed.


#3

damn good fight, but if I remember right is that where Ali had is jaw broken or dislocated from a left hook?


#4

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
damn good fight, but if I remember right is that where Ali had is jaw broken or dislocated from a left hook?
[/quote]

That was the Ken Norton fight.


#5

Thought I read somewhere that the left hook that dropped him messed his jaw up


#6

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Thought I read somewhere that the left hook that dropped him messed his jaw up[/quote]

It swelled but that was it. The famous “fought the fight with a broken jaw” was the Norton fight. Norton could hit like a truck and broke it in the first or second round, as I recollect.


#7

Benn vs. McClellan

Any of Ward vs Gatti

Obviously Hagler vs Hearns

Any of these:


#8

Castillo - Corrales I, which has possibly the greatest last round of boxing I’ve ever seen.


#9

^^ haha, yep, that’s number one in the video I posted. Hell of a fight.


#10

The last Hagler - Hearns fight …

3 rounds of pure fury between 2 of the best boxers of their era …


#11

Hagler Hearns was amazing, but ward-gatti had a great 1st fight, but afterwards it was fights with great rounds mixed in my opinion


#12

[quote]Velvet Elvis wrote:
The last Hagler - Hearns fight …

3 rounds of pure fury between 2 of the best boxers of their era …[/quote]

They weren’t joking when they called it “The War.”


#13

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Hagler Hearns was amazing, but ward-gatti had a great 1st fight, but afterwards it was fights with great rounds mixed in my opinion
[/quote]

Yea, Ward Gatti II and III never lived up to the hype - Mick was too old and beat up.

I loved that first fight - it’s one of my favorites of all time. But I tend to rank Ali-Frazier, Castillo-Corrales, and Hagler-Hearns just above them just because of skill level … as much as I love Mick and Arturo, they were both B/C fighters who were just matched up well. The other guys were ATGs who met in their primes, and you’re literally seeing the limits of what men can do “in the arena,” so to speak, during their fights.

But as far as pure heart, nothing surpasses Ward-Gatti I. Nothing. They were gladiators.


#14

Just awesome.


#15

I’m glad to see real boxing guys mentioned the Corales/Castillo fight. I knew when I saw it that it was awesome, but I don’t know boxing very well. Sometimes I watch the 10th round before I go to lift. I love the advice from coach, “You’d better fucking get inside”.

Castillo/Marques/Paquio had some great, close fights with each other too.


#16

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
I’m glad to see real boxing guys mentioned the Corales/Castillo fight. I knew when I saw it that it was awesome, but I don’t know boxing very well. Sometimes I watch the 10th round before I go to lift. I love the advice from coach, “You’d better fucking get inside”.

Castillo/Marques/Paquio had some great, close fights with each other too.[/quote]

One of the best ones that is very, very underrated is the first Marquez - Diaz fight from 2009. It’s two Mexican fighters with very different styles - one counterpuncher, one swarmer - and it’s just pure skill, heart, and brutality. Seriously, I love this fight.


#17

Duran - Leonard I.

Duran was my all-time favorite fighter, and this was his shining moment.


#18

Hagler Hearns and Duran Leonard are the stuff of legends

Im going to go a different take and get some grappling in.

Rulon Gardner vs Alexander Karelin

personally- I hate the Rules change that let Rulon win.
He Did the unthinkable- and then went on to win worlds that year too.

Prior to this match Karelin had went 13 years without being scored upon.

Jordan Borroughs you already know I love this kid.
this is a fan vid from 2012 of him winning gold.
He already beat a world champ in a semifinal bout

Kazushi Skuraba vs Carlos Newton
Old School straight up grappling clinic

Sakuraba again this time busting Renzo Gracie’s elbow

John Smith winning the olympics in 1988

there are many many more out there- but lots of the videos are of shit qulity…


#19

I guess that depends on your definition of greatest fight

Because it seems to me a lot of people define it as all out wars, but by that metric some of the best fights ive seen have been “sparring” matches in the gyms between amateur fighters with chips on their shoulders.

For me I appreciate someone displaying mastery almost on the same level as the all time classic battles.

for example, people talk about the forrest griffin vs stephen bonnar as one of the greatest fights in the UFC, which okay I can see why, but ultimately both those guys were/are garbage. Griffin got better but never really was a great fighter, stephen bonnar objectively stunk for the rest of his career.


#20

FWIW though

The entire gatti-ward series