[quote]blazindave wrote:
Masutatsu Oyama?
This guy fought bulls. That’s gotta be worth something :P[/quote]

Fail

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
love the avatar btw

GENKIIIIIIIIII[/quote]

Not a bad avatar yourself…lol

Marvellous Marvin Haggler. An unequalled variety of punches and a chin that would go through a brick wall. To paraphrase Hearns (who broke his hand on Haggler’s head during “The War”)…

“His head’s a fuckin’ weapon”

Of course, he did “lose” to Leonard…
Bullshit.

I think Ezzard Charles deserves a mention as the greatest light-heavy of all time.

According to Jon Bluming, Mas Oyama never fought anybody, not even a single bull.

As far as boxing, I’d say Marciano with Sugar Ray Robinson being a close second one. In his time, Rocky was stellar and he made the best out of the training know how and his physical capabilities that was humanly possible.

Also, I don’t think you can compare today’s heavy boxers with most champions of the past. Today’s heavyweight champs are taller, heavier and are fighting strategically more anaerobic.

As far as MMA, the answer is obvious.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Marvellous Marvin Haggler. An unequalled variety of punches and a chin that would go through a brick wall. To paraphrase Hearns (who broke his hand on Haggler’s head during “The War”)…

“His head’s a fuckin’ weapon”

Of course, he did “lose” to Leonard…
Bullshit.

I think Ezzard Charles deserves a mention as the greatest light-heavy of all time.[/quote]

Lenard was a good fighter, I think the Lenard vs Benitiz fight was my favorite fight, They came out ,you could see their standing just like two dogs

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

Thanks for the link. Leonard was, indeed, a great fighter. Anyone who has to fight in an era boasting such talents as Duran, Hearns and Haggler and still manages to become world champion is an all time great.

But he should never have been given the decision against Marvin. He was popular, he was photogenic, he was “good for boxing”… and that’s why they gave it to him.

One good link deserves another…

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

Love the ad at the start…

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

Thanks for the link. Leonard was, indeed, a great fighter. Anyone who has to fight in an era boasting such talents as Duran, Hearns and Haggler and still manages to become world champion is an all time great.

But he should never have been given the decision against Marvin. He was popular, he was photogenic, he was “good for boxing”… and that’s why they gave it to him.

One good link deserves another…

One of Leonard�??s low points was Leonard Vs Rocky Ramón, he beat Ramón in the face the whole fight and Ramón was jumping around at the end of the fight like he won

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
According to Jon Bluming, Mas Oyama never fought anybody, not even a single bull.[/quote]

Wow awesome. You’re right.

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/mixed-martial-arts-mma-bjj-forum/590-jon-bluming-mas-oyama.html

However i’m going to read it all first.
This is interesting.

According to Jon Bluming, Mas Oyama never fought anybody, not even a single bull.

As far as boxing, I’d say Marciano with Sugar Ray Robinson being a close second one. In his time, Rocky was stellar and he made the best out of the training know how and his physical capabilities that was humanly possible.

Also, I don’t think you can compare today’s heavy boxers with most champions of the past. Today’s heavyweight champs are taller, heavier and are fighting strategically more anaerobic.

As far as MMA, the answer is obvious.[/quote]

Asian version of chuck norris? Even though chuck actually kicked ass in his time :slight_smile:

Mike tyson because he had one of the best fighter mentality’s. He also showed that shorter boxers can dominate in the heavyweight class. Not to mention he was genetically gifted. He could have been so much more if he wasn’t screwed with his trainers ext ext.

Wasted talent for a good part of his career, he could have been a lot more then he already was.

Ah, the age-old question, Fightin’ Irish…
Hmm, I’m gonna stick to boxing, so I’d have to say career-wise, Sugar Ray Robinson, a complete fighter with an incredible record, all the tools, fought every kind of style and would be a dominant force in any era.

Roy Jones during his peak years was about an unbeatable fighter (hell, he was unbeatable for that stretch). A dazzling mix of speed, power, athleticism and ring instinct. A notch below Sugar Ray, though, as his chin was later exposed as age caught up with him.

Heavyweights? Muhammad Ali. Nuff said. Joe Louis a close second. He undertrained for the first Schmeling fight and was beaten by Marciano when he was like 90 years old.

Gotta give a nod to the Rock, too. Undefeated. Tough as shit. If he fought now, he’d be the greatest cruiserweight of all time.

And a nod to Archie Moore. the man had more knockouts than de la Hoya and Mayweather have had fights combined. and he knocked Rocky down when he was 85 years old or something.

k

[quote]shizen wrote:
Mike tyson because he had one of the best fighter mentality’s. He also showed that shorter boxers can dominate in the heavyweight class. Not to mention he was genetically gifted. He could have been so much more if he wasn’t screwed with his trainers ext ext.

Wasted talent for a good part of his career, he could have been a lot more then he already was. [/quote]

I remember reading a book on boxing technique that referenced all the great fighters of the last 100 years. It would have a profile on Sugar Ray listing the things he excelled at, any unorthodox techniques he had, and then a few “take-home” points.

The author considered Tyson’s decline to be so unprecedented and rapid that he had two profiles; Tyson-Early and Tyson-Late.

That would be Samson - can not be disputed.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
From a record perspective I’d give the nod to Rocky Marciano, Cael Sanderson or Alexander Karelin.

Who would win in a fight, I’d probably go with Fedor or Joe Lewis. I’d actually probably have to give Fedor the nod for well roundedness as well.

If we are talking about life or death, then Musashi would get my vote. …
[/quote]

Karelin was just plain scary. Anyone who could lift over and body slam other heavyweights from a normal standing stance is scary.

Pound for pound, without a weapon, open question, though Kimura would have to be in the running too, as well as Joe Lewis (the karate one).

Interesting debate.

As far as MMA, the answer is obvious.[/quote]

Oyama did a tour of the U.S. where they put up cash and you got it if you last five minutes in the ring with him.

That was a lot of fights.

He did the bull routine in small stadiums, for audiences.

Mas Oyama Mas Oyama - Wikipedia

Bluming http://www.jonbluming.com/ and http://www.jonbluming.com/ex.html

http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/100mankumite.htm

ramon dekkers