Greatest Ever Mr. O Physique

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

ProfX, people won’t come to Vegas to see an Olympia where such a physique wins??[/quote]

What are you talking about?

Back then, he was one of the biggest dudes on stage.

Today, he would not be.

He also competed recently enough for most people to still remember it.

Today, they would likely treat him like Ced Mcmillan is being treated…hyped but constantly pushed to get even bigger…which is exactly what Wheeler ended up doing.

That is why you guys didn’t pick a vid of his later career.

You picked this one.[/quote]

I’m not ‘they’ or ‘you guys’. I AM saying, if aesthetics were placed highest, there would be a stage full of flex-type competitors, and no one would be pushed to get bigger, just refine. Ronnie wasn’t all bad early on (well, there are those strange abdominals).
Dont know what would have become of Rhul, then. Probably the same - compete for the fans of Freak, place more or less the same.
I say, make 2 olympias - O Aesthetics, and O Size. Ruhl must be enjoying doing what he does, and has his fans, so why not.

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

ProfX, people won’t come to Vegas to see an Olympia where such a physique wins??[/quote]

Today, he would not be.

Today, they would likely treat him like Ced Mcmillan is being treated…hyped but constantly pushed to get even bigger…which is exactly what Wheeler ended up doing.

I’m not ‘they’ or ‘you guys’. I AM saying, if aesthetics were placed highest, there would be a stage full of flex-type competitors, and no one would be pushed to get bigger, just refine. Ronnie wasn’t all bad early on (well, there are those strange abdominals).
Dont know what would have become of Rhul, then. Probably the same - compete for the fans of Freak, place more or less the same.
I say, make 2 olympias - O Aesthetics, and O Size. Ruhl must be enjoying doing what he does, and has his fans, so why not.[/quote]

The thing is, this comes down to MONEY. Yeah, in an ideal world, the most “aesthetic” person would always win a bodybuilding contest.

They already have a 202 class and it keeps getting dominated by one of the biggest short fuckers on the planet.

The judges decide that…and then the fans reinforce by buying the mags with them in the cover.

Trust me, if the look you mention sold to fans of bodybuilding, it would already be happening.

…so tell me…when was the last muscle mag you bought?

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

Today, he would not be.

I say, make 2 olympias - O Aesthetics, and O Size. Ruhl must be enjoying doing what he does, and has his fans, so why not.[/quote]

Your argument loses big time when you start diving aesthetics and size into two categories.

Aesthetics is a much more general category. Size is a part of aethetics.

You seem to be valuing a very specific type of muscle proportion. But proportional ideals change very frequently in this sport.

The past 8-9 years or so (save for 2008) has placed a very high premium on the width of the upper body and striations in the legs. This year it seems that muscle roundness and a more dramatic X frame was preferred.

Basically, aesthetics and size are absolutely not mutually exclusive. Someone with the best genetics possible for muscle belly roundness, wide clavicles, small joints, etc, will not have good aesthetics if he’s small as shit.

Lastly, Flex Wheeler was never small. He was close to beating Ronnie at his best but Ronnie was bigger while being plenty ‘aesthetic’ enough to beat him.

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

Today, he would not be.

Also,

enjoy.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
I just love me some aesthetics. Got to go with Flex.

0:39, just ridiculous…[/quote]

I remember reading the book ‘Muscle’ by John Hotten. In it this old English lady (forgot her name, but she’s been a BB judge for years) said that if we discovered an Alien race then we would send Flex Wheeler to them as an example of the most perfect human physique. I really have to agree with that.

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

Today, he would not be.

The thing is, this comes down to MONEY. Yeah, in an ideal world, the most “aesthetic” person would always win a bodybuilding contest.

They already have a 202 class and it keeps getting dominated by one of the biggest short fuckers on the planet.

The judges decide that…and then the fans reinforce by buying the mags with them in the cover.

Trust me, if the look you mention sold to fans of bodybuilding, it would already be happening.

…so tell me…when was the last muscle mag you bought?[/quote]

I realize that I don’t represent the market, which is why I dont buy those advertizements aka magazines (also, they cost >10$ by the time they’re on sale here), and hardly follow the competitions.
But this thread was ‘what are your opinions’. This is my opinion.

1998 Ronnie was completely untouchable. Best Mr. O…period. From late 90’s to around 2003 he was the best physique to ever step foot on the BBing stage and it’s still never been replicated.

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

Today, he would not be.

I realize that I don’t represent the market, which is why I dont buy those advertizements aka magazines (also, they cost >10$ by the time they’re on sale here), and hardly follow the competitions.
[/quote]

…and my point is, this opinion is usually screamed by people who don’t support the sport at all. I still buy those magazines. I don’t buy them as much as I used to, but I will still pick up MD at times.

People who follow bodybuilding tend to actually understand the changes that occur over time. They don’t ignore the HUGE changes in expectations since the 1960’s including hugely different standards for quad size and back.

So yea, it kind of does matter if you support it at all…because otherwise, expecting all progress to have ended 50 years ago is a little silly, to be honest.

one of my all time favorites to not win. he and flex should each have at least one.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

1998 Ronnie was completely untouchable. Best Mr. O…period. From late 90’s to around 2003 he was the best physique to ever step foot on the BBing stage and it’s still never been replicated.[/quote]

I’ll have to agree with this, allthough personally I prefer the 99 version over the 98 one.

Ronnie Coleman is bodybuilding perfection in both the 98 and 99 vids. I was never a huge fan of his until I saw those, every part of him is just insane.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
Ronnie Coleman is bodybuilding perfection in both the 98 and 99 vids. I was never a huge fan of his until I saw those, every part of him is just insane.[/quote]

Yep, everything about him is absolutely perfect, except for the gyno in his 98 competitions. It’s ridiculous how far ahead of everyone else he was, especially when he competed in an era with competitors like Wheeler, Levrone, Cormier, Cutler and the like.

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]xilinx wrote:

Today, he would not be.

[/quote]

…and my point is, this opinion is usually screamed by people who don’t support the sport at all. I still buy those magazines. I don’t buy them as much as I used to, but I will still pick up MD at times.

People who follow bodybuilding tend to actually understand the changes that occur over time. They don’t ignore the HUGE changes in expectations since the 1960’s including hugely different standards for quad size and back.

So yea, it kind of does matter if you support it at all…because otherwise, expecting all progress to have ended 50 years ago is a little silly, to be honest.[/quote]

Lol… you dont just disagree, you need to find some way to explain why my opinion is Wrong… like trying to explain that banana ice cream is wrong because somehow I dont support the strawberry industry but you do, so I’m wrong in some straw man way.
Why can’t you converse with me, 1:1, you keep grouping me with this or that group.

[quote]xilinx wrote:

Lol… you dont just disagree, you need to find some way to explain why my opinion is Wrong… like trying to explain that banana ice cream is wrong because somehow I dont support the strawberry industry but you do, so I’m wrong in some straw man way.
Why can’t you converse with me, 1:1, you keep grouping me with this or that group.[/quote]

I didn’t say your opinion was “wrong”. I said that opinion usually comes from people who don’t follow closely or support the sport.

You confirmed that fits you as well.

I could really care less what the fat cashier at the grocery store whose never lifted a weight or watched a bodybuilding comp thinks about how bodybuilders look today.

That doesn’t make the opinion wrong.

It does make it less significant in my opinion.

OF COURSE some guy who doesn’t follow the sport will find the bodies he has been DESENSITIZED TO more “natural” looking.

The problem there is, that same type of person would have critiqued the bodybuilders of the 60’s into UNNATURAL FREAK status if they were also seeing them for the first time in the 60’s.

The ONLY reason those types see those 60’s guys as more accepted is because they see more bodies like that lately.

That is the only reason.

Also, let me point out again that you thought Flex Wheeler, one of the mass monsters on stage back then, was somehow small enough to use as an example of a “smaller bodybuilder who people want to see at an Olympia”.

I am assuming that is why you mentioned him and directed that statement at me in this thread.

Flex Wheeler was FREAKING HUGE back then. The ONLY reason you saw him as smaller is because you are now desensitized to someone that size.

No one in 2000 thought that shit was any easier to attain than Ronnie Coleman.

i second Levrone

I’m impressed nobody has posted Yates on the 1996 Grand Prix

Flex only appeared ‘small’ because he had to stand next to guys with larger structures like Dorian, Ronnie, even Levrone. A frame can only hold so much muscle. So even when Flex was at his largest (and he did get pretty damn big), he ended up playing the Synthol game in attempt to match Ronnie, who was just larger overall.

S

Shawn Ray 1999…perfection

Greatest Mr O physique…IMO it’s between Frank Zane and Lee Haney.