T Nation

Greatest Deterent From OL?

so what does everyone think is the greatest deterent in learning olympic lifting? Im thinking that my poor flexibility may be screwing me over (so i started stretching twice a day). I did some of the drills and i just cant get under the bar in a deep squat, in particular when doing snatches. I can barely overhead squat. I can do an easy power clean with 155lbs, but when i drop the weight to 135, even 115, and try and clean it, I just cant get under it. any thoughts?

The biggest deterrant is the erroneous belief that these lifts are too difficult for the average person ? they are not. Overhead squats do require excellent flexibility/posture, so USE THEM…your ROM will improve as a result.

Don’t be so focused on how good you are (or aren’t) on these lifts that you overlook how good they are for YOU!

[quote]angelain wrote:
so what does everyone think is the greatest deterent in learning olympic lifting? Im thinking that my poor flexibility may be screwing me over (so i started stretching twice a day). I did some of the drills and i just cant get under the bar in a deep squat, in particular when doing snatches. I can barely overhead squat. I can do an easy power clean with 155lbs, but when i drop the weight to 135, even 115, and try and clean it, I just cant get under it. any thoughts?[/quote]

Hitting yourself in the face/chin/nose or dropping the weight on your head.

Learning the lifts is much easier to handle. A friend of mine (who competes in OL) had an accident a year ago when the bar bounced up from the platform and nailed him in the face busting his lip and knocking out a tooth and chipping a few others.

I’ve hit myself in the chin, cock & balls, top of my head, back of my head, upper back, and been hit from a bouncing bar in my fingers. Sometimes it happens. LOL!

I think one of the main things that keeps people away from OL is that they don’t think they can get into the proper positions. Hell, who can the first time around?? I would work on the overhead squats and press unders to get comfortable with the snatch positions. As always, practice your front, back, and overhead squats as low as you can go.
If you want to get comfortable with jumping under the weights, you are gonna have to start doing so from scratch with just the bar and work up from there. Until you can overhead squat deep with confidence, don’t try to snatch yet.
Btw, press unders are where you start standing with the bar on the back of your shoulders in a snatch grip, then you descend into a squat while pressing the bar upwards. Pause at the bottom for a couple of seconds to get familiar with the position. good luck.

The biggest deterrent with Olympic Lifting is that there are only a handful of places to do them. The average gym accepts some PL and certainly bodybuilding. Trying to do a clean or snatch in a gym packed with machines is being a bull in a china shop. It just does not fit in.

if your just using the OL lifts for recreation,meaning you arent competing in an event,then just use whatever versions of the lift you are comfortable with. i powerclean and powersnatch all the time. i never catch in a full squat–for me there is no need to. the power moves are just fine and still bring up strength where i want it.

train hard,
ryan b.

I think the biggest deterent (it has been for me) is learning how to do them at all. You can read up on them but it is helpful to have someone A) show you and B) give you some pointers.

Luckily, I have watched Troy Anderson’s video on this site to learn some of the basics.

I have to thank him and Charles Staley for that. It can be tough to thank Troy though.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Luckily, I have watched Troy Anderson’s video on this site to learn some of the basics.[/quote]

Where is it? I’d be very interested in watching it.

It is in one of Charles Staley’s programs here on the site. I’ll try and see if I can find it.

I have been trying to learn them. Each time I have given up, but I still feel the need to go back and give it another try. I just bought the book, Explosive Lifting for Sports, which is helping me understand the lifts better.

A lot of good points have been made, but to mention something new:

Not knowing how to miss a lift makes a lot of people scared to practice oly lifts. There is a huge amount of paranoia out there about injury from use of heavy weights, especially when it comes to back injury… it’s like our age’s equivalent of hysteria.

I often miss with heavy weights, especially in the snatch, since I am still perfecting my technique. No problem; the bar goes to the floor, and makes a bang. Today I screwed up a snatch balance and 135 pounds caught me on the back of my neck and took to my knees. I put one foot forward and stood up, none the worse for the incident. People don’t realize how hard it is to seriously screw yourself up.

I am having trouble with front squats using a clean grip. (and therefore not able to a clean very well) It seems I don’t have the flexibility to get in that position.
any tips on improving overall flexibility for all olympic lifts?
any particular stretches?

Check the other threads on front squatting for some excellent stretches there that myself and others have put up - dislocates are great, the so-called doorway stretch, and all hamstring, calf, glute, and hip flexor stretches too.

-Dan

Sorry for taking so long on this. Here is a link to the article that has the imbedded video.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=480470