Greatest Athletic Performance Ever?

Also Ali continuing to fight against Norton after breaking his jaw.

And going onto beat Foreman at the top of his game, carrying the injury.

This last Olympics produced alot of amazing records. But I remember a clip from a while back where a gymnast on the rings pulled himself up in a slow, controlled muscle up, then slowly lowered himself out to an iron cross. I don’t know if he won, or when/where it was, but the audience was silent and it was absolutely amazing!

Edit: Found it. The audience isn’t as quiet as I remembered.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
silverblood wrote:
Pick one.
Dean Karnazes ran 50 marathons in 50 days. After the last one in N.Y. he ran back to the site of the first one in St. Louis.
Ran a 200 mile relay in California solo.
Won the Badwater 135 through Death Valley.
Ran over 350 miles at 80+hrs.
Won the 4 Deserts Crown.

This makes him exactly the worst athlete in my mind.[/quote]

You are beyond retarded.

He ran over 350 fucking MILES non stop.

I would have to consider Dan Gable, the freestyle wrestler. As for best performance, either his college performance(amassing a record of 182 wins- 1 loss)

Or his performance at the 1972 Olympics. In 1972, he won a gold medal at the Summer Olympics WITHOUT SURRENDERING A SINGLE POINT TO ANY OF HIS OPPONENTS! The Soviets came to the Olympics with only one goal in mind; to defeat Gable. They were unsuccessful.

I was never a wrestler but this is pretty awesome!

Impressive, but he would never get my vote. How many people do you know that even thought of competing in ultramarathons?

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
silverblood wrote:
Pick one.
Dean Karnazes ran 50 marathons in 50 days. After the last one in N.Y. he ran back to the site of the first one in St. Louis.
Ran a 200 mile relay in California solo.
Won the Badwater 135 through Death Valley.
Ran over 350 miles at 80+hrs.
Won the 4 Deserts Crown.

This makes him exactly the worst athlete in my mind.[/quote]

There was quite a touching story to come out of the 2008 olympics which i thought was pretty cool. That being the gold medal effort of big Matthias Steiner. An Austrian competing for Germany in the 105kg+

He’d always competed for Austria but after a falling out with coaching staff and his future up in the air, something unexpected stepped in and changed his life forever.

A German woman named Susann was channel surfing television and happened to stop on a weightllifting competition, she saw Matthias and was instantly struck by him. She saw a roaring bear with a teddy bear heart. She was in love. She emailed the TV station as to how she could get in touch with him and finally they sent her his details.

They met and the rest is history. He started competing in Germany and eventually got German citizenship after marrying the love of his life Susann.

Tragically, Susann died in a car accident in July 2007.

Mathias was said to carry a photo of her with him at all times after her death especially during competitions. On her death bed in hospital he made her a promise that he would make both their olympic dreams come true and win at the 2008 olympic games. Life seems to challenge those the most that are the most deserving

Fast forward to crunch time…

Russian veteran Chigishev, the runner-up at 2006 world championships, succeeded in all his six attempts. He snatched 210kg and jerked 250. He was ranked first when he finished earlier before Steiner and Latvian lawmaker Viktors Scerbathihs.

Steiner was placed 4th after the snatch with a total of 203 and proceeded to miss his first C & J of 246. He put his second attempt up to 248 and nailed it. This left him with one last attempt and trailing gold by 9kg’s. Now weightlifters usually put their weights up by 2 or 4 kg. Not Matthias.

He obviously remembered the promise he made his wife and the big fella put it up by 10kg’s to 258 to go for the win. If he missed he wouldn’t even get a medal and the most he’d ever done in competition before was 246.5kg… This was going to be a disaster.

Now you just watch the big fella lose the plot as he drills this motherfucker home!!!

Go you good thing!

The point I was trying to make is…

There are no good endurance athletes…just shitty athletes training to become shittier athletes.

1980 usa olympic hockey team is said to be one of the most historic times in sports

With his left shoe untied. Ridiculous.

All due respect to Steiner though; his story is inspirational.

Cael Sanderson’s entire college wrestling career.

159-0

He also went on to win a gold medal in the Olympics.

I’ve crewed the Badwater Ultra-marathon before. The people who do those are on a completely different level folks. They are on a completely different level. Actually wittnessing someones body break down while the mind is still pushing it, and then watching the individual finish? It’s humbling and inspirational at it’s purest.

That being said, my contribution to the best athletic performances:

Josh Hamiltons’ 28 dingers for the Home Run Derby impressed me a ton.

Rulan Gardner beating Alexander Karelin in the Athens Olympics.

David Tyree’s catch in the super bowl last year.

Fitzgeralds’ and Holmes’ catches this year.

Troy Polamalu jumping the pile in the AFC Championship.

Tayshaun Prince catching on fire while at Kentucky sinking 5 3’s in a row against UNC.

Overall though, Tiger winning the Open last year has to be at the top of the list.

Hands down, no question, Jason McElway, autistic boy who scores 20 points in just over 3 minutes in his only high school basketball game appearance. Maybe one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen, sports or otherwise.

Its worth watching, makes you feel good about humanity again.

[quote]maverickbu wrote:
Hands down, no question, Jason McElway, autistic boy who scores 20 points in just over 3 minutes in his only high school basketball game appearance. Maybe one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen, sports or otherwise.

Its worth watching, makes you feel good about humanity again.[/quote]

^^ yeah that was epic…

My shout goes too Phelps tho Haile Gebrselassie needs a mention.

Jimmy Johnson! Last 3 seasons.

Sorry, but anything involving golf or horses has to be taken out of consideration.

Kobe Bryant’s 81 is the greatest offensive performance in sports history. It blows Wilt’s 100 outta the water.

Usain Bolt’s 100m in the Olympics.

Phelps dominating everybody for 738 golds.

Michael Jordan’s 63 on Boston in the garden.

Some great names mentioned. But to bring some more recent games up how about…

Dwayne wade putting the team on his back in the finals vs. Dallas

Lebron James scoring 25 of the last 26 pts for his team vs. the pistons

Kobe- 81 pts

Scott Jurek
Ultramarathoner - Won Western States 100 mile mountain race 7 Consecutive times and set a course record.

Usain Bolt Sprints just won’t be the same.

Robert James “Bobby” Fischer in 1972

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Sorry, but anything involving golf or horses has to be taken out of consideration.

Kobe Bryant’s 81 is the greatest offensive performance in sports history. It blows Wilt’s 100 outta the water.

Usain Bolt’s 100m in the Olympics.

Phelps dominating everybody for 738 golds.

Michael Jordan’s 63 on Boston in the garden.[/quote]

Let me guess you’ve never played golf.