T Nation

Great reads for the little T-people

I really enjoy reading to my 4 year old boy. So far we have read The Spiderwick Chronicles and are in the process of reading The Hobbit. These we do above his normal bedtime stories and shorter books. I am wondering if anyone else has suggestions of books that they enjoyed reading/sharing with their little ones as we are trying to get the next one lined up after The Hobbit. I don’t think we’ll tackle The Lord of the Rings just yet as that one is a bit more mature.

Edit: Also feel free to comment on anything you really enjoyed sharing with your children.

Fairy tales from Hans Christian Andersen.

They are as scary as they should be, not the sanitized Grimm brothers stuff.

Also, the whole King Arthur and Parcival stuff.

50 shades of Grey.

American Psycho

The original Hardy Boys series.

Atlas Shrugged

x2 on King Arthur. I also enjoyed the Redwall books a ton as a kid.

Although Redwall could be violent for a 4 year old.

Jim Butcher’s “Furies” series is pretty good. I don’t recall anything that would rate it above an occasional PG rating. Lots of swords and sorcery and good stuff like that to spark his imagination.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
Although Redwall could be violent for a 4 year old.[/quote]

Nah, I think any of the Redwall books (there’s like a billion) would be great for a kid.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Atlas Shrugged[/quote]

That should put him to sleep at least.

I absolutely loved the Redwall books as a child! Highly recommended.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein…more bedtimey but still loved reading not only to my kids but to myself

Oh and the Phantom Tollbooth

More bedtime, but I always enjoyed “Oh The Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss. I think I got more out of it than they did, but hopefully the message sank in.

[quote]orion wrote:
Fairy tales from Hans Christian Andersen.

They are as scary as they should be, not the sanitized Grimm brothers stuff.

Also, the whole King Arthur and Parcival stuff. [/quote]

You should read the original tales. Birds swoop down and pluck the eyes from the “false sisters” at the end of Cinderella. One side from each at first, and the other from each later on. In another version the step mother was also made to put on torturous shoes and was forced to dance herself to death at the wedding reception.

[quote]fncj wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
Fairy tales from Hans Christian Andersen.

They are as scary as they should be, not the sanitized Grimm brothers stuff.

Also, the whole King Arthur and Parcival stuff. [/quote]

You should read the original tales. Birds swoop down and pluck the eyes from the “false sisters” at the end of Cinderella. One side from each at first, and the other from each later on. In another version the step mother was also made to put on torturous shoes and was forced to dance herself to death at the wedding reception.

[/quote]

Is there a collection?

Where the Wild Things Are, was a huge favorite of mine.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
American Psycho[/quote]

Ha! Awesome read.

Atomic Dog - The Testosterone Principles by TC Luoma