Great Quote...

Quote of the day
“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President.”
– President Theodore Roosevelt

For those of you who think it is unAmerican to question the Bush Administration’s actions.

“Debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust, and wide open, and that … may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials.” Justice William J. Brennan, Jr., New York Times v. Sullivan, 1964

“Why of course the people don’t want war … But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship …Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.” Hermann Goering, Nazi leader, at the Nuremberg Trials after World War II

Theodore Roosevelt:

“…some time soon I shall have to spank some little international brigand, and then all the well-meaning idiots will turn and shriek that this is inconsistent with what I did at the Peace Conference, whereas in reality it will be exactly in line with it.”

“Justice among the nations of mankind, and the uplifting of humanity, can be brought about only by those strong and daring men who with wisdom love peace, but who love righteousness more than peace.”

-Theodore Roosevelt, Autobiography

“There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war.”

-Theodore Roosevelt, Autobiography

By the way, I completely agree that there is nothing unAmerican about questioning a President’s actions.

Not only is it ok, it should be done.

But it has to be based in reason. And it has to start with reasonable assumptions.

“Shut up and color”

• rainjack, after reading too many damn quotes about the right to free speech.

[quote]chadman wrote:

For those of you who think it is unAmerican to question the Bush Administration’s actions.[/quote]

Actually who ever said that it was?

The only thing I ever hear about being un-American is from the left when you disagree with them. I have hear repeatedly that to disagree with the left is somehow disagreeing with free speech.

Excellent point Mage.

It seems to me one of the most misunderstood aspects of free speech is that, while citizens possess the right to criticize government, one’s fellow citizens have the right to criticize the critical opinion. When fellow citizens are critical of your opinions, they are exercising their own rights to free speech, not squelching yours.

BTW, on a non-free-speech-related point, it’s also good to point out that disagreeing with dovish positions on national defense does not amount to questioning the doves’ patriotism. However, calling average Americans stupid, ignorant and lazy based on their exercise of their voting rights does border on unpatriotic…

I don’t think anyone on this site ever called anyone unpatriotic for voicing critical opinions, but most on this site are open to debate and tolerate conflicting views… whereas Fox news does not

“If you don’t support the decision to go to war once that decision has been made, you’re not being patriotic.”-- E.D. Hill, Fox & Friends [in response to news coverage of protestors]

lol Fox news

seriously great topic imo

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy”
-Benjamin Franklin

Well, I’m frequently called anti-American (recently anyway) for voicing criticism and questions, does that count?

I’m sure if I was American I’d merely be called unpatriotic instead… wow, that would be so much nicer.

I agree with the original poster. It is not unpatriotic to question our President.

However, depending upon how it’s done it can be considered US bashing for a foreigner to do it!

ZEB,

I’m glad you feel that way, however, I think most Bush-lovers find it extremely unpatriotic/unAmerican to find any fault with W. and his crew.

My favorite from Ben Franklin…

“If you must fart, fart LOUDLY.”

Gotta love the guy. I have a couple more, but I feel guilty for turning this into a generic “favorite quote” post. Ah, what the hell.

“Love ain’t nothin’ but sex misspelled”
Harlan Ellison

“It was darker than a carload of assholes.”
George V. Higgins

“I drank what?”
Socrates

Thanks for letting me get off the subject.
Takuin Mejia

[quote]chadman wrote:
ZEB,

I’m glad you feel that way, however, I think most Bush-lovers find it extremely unpatriotic/unAmerican to find any fault with W. and his crew.[/quote]

chadman:

President Bush is far from perfect. We can start with the record deficit! However, judging by his opponents record, the clear choice for me (and over 59 million other Americans) was President Bush.