Great Medleys/Conditioning Challenges?

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
So I was thinking about this yesterday. I did stones on Sunday and it was clear my strength endurance needs to be brought up. I was thinking that 20 rep squats would be a real kick ass conditioning tool, but would recovery be a concern? [/quote]

I do a high volume squat workout every week, and recently starting doing specifically a 20 rep set of squats to rehab my hamstring. I don’t think it’ll be an issue, but it’s something you’ll want to build up to.

Relating to the thread, an idea I’m kicking around to train for a Yoke/tire flip medley is to do a yoke run down to a sandbag, and then do sandbag over yoke for a few reps. OR, I could actually yoke run AWAY from the sandbag, then carry the sandbag the same distance and THEN sandbag over yoke it.

Ahh good to hear you do them. I was thinking about ramping up (like I do for sprints), something like:

Zerchers:
10, 1:30 rest, 15, 1:30 rest, 20, 1:30 rest, 15, 1:30 rest, 10, 1:30 rest

It is really strange, as I would have thought my sprinting would have improved my endurance with the stones, I usually train on Fridays:
40 yards, warm up
80 yards, fast, but not max
120 yards, best effort
80 yards, best effort
40 yards cool down
100-200 yards, slow cool down

all done with 90 to 120 seconds of rest

followed by
tire flips, over the course of a few weeks work up to a 50 yard tire flip

Maybe doing the sprints first followed by squats later in the day would be a good idea? I am confident sprinting has contributed to my fatloss (lost about 3 inches on my waist in the last 2 months)

Endurance is sadly one of those things that’s pretty specific to the action. Most likely, your cardiovascular system is totally strong from the sprints, but the movement pattern has some inefficiencies and the muscles themselves might need some more endurance.

It’s why whenever athletes try a different sport, despite being in great condition for THEIR sport, they gas out.

Most likely the best thing to get better at the stones would be more stone work, or at least something with a similar movement pattern (sandbag or keg overbar/load).

For the squats, I only ever do 1 set of the 20. I do a version of squatting similar to what you’re talking about though, but the reps tend to be a little lower. Instead of measuring a specific time, I take 15 deep breaths before the next seek.

A few weeks ago, I did a simple progression of starting at 5 reps and getting down to 1 (so 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, etc). It does a pretty decent job of kicking your ass.

For squats and sprints, you could always do Dan John’s Litinov workout

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
So I was thinking about this yesterday. I did stones on Sunday and it was clear my strength endurance needs to be brought up. I was thinking that 20 rep squats would be a real kick ass conditioning tool, but would recovery be a concern? [/quote]

I do a high volume squat workout every week, and recently starting doing specifically a 20 rep set of squats to rehab my hamstring. I don’t think it’ll be an issue, but it’s something you’ll want to build up to.

Relating to the thread, an idea I’m kicking around to train for a Yoke/tire flip medley is to do a yoke run down to a sandbag, and then do sandbag over yoke for a few reps. OR, I could actually yoke run AWAY from the sandbag, then carry the sandbag the same distance and THEN sandbag over yoke it.[/quote]

So here is some video of this idea

75’ for distance

I only manage 2 rounds. This was my second workout of the day and third day in a row of training, I was just fried. Still, I really liked this.

I thought it was pretty hilarious how you tossed your equipment off like you were Clark Kent changing into your superman uniform. That looks like a bitch, especially in the heat. I would have thought the yoke would be brutally hot from the sun.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
I thought it was pretty hilarious how you tossed your equipment off like you were Clark Kent changing into your superman uniform. That looks like a bitch, especially in the heat. I would have thought the yoke would be brutally hot from the sun.[/quote]

It’s actually pretty cool where I’m at. Mid 60s to low 70s, near the coast. That said, the tape helps a bit so that it doesn’t absorb the sun’s heat.

I’m actually trying to ease the transition time in getting the belt off. I ran into an issue during a medley in my 5th comp where I lost like 1-2 seconds with the belt, and had the guy I was competing with not made an error, those seconds would have cost me first place. It’s amazing the little things that add up, haha.

But yes, this sucked. Can’t wait to do it again.

Thanks for watching.

You know what? It has been a cool summer where I am too, are you in New England.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
You know what? It has been a cool summer where I am too, are you in New England.[/quote]

California. Opposite coast, haha. But I’m on the central coast area, and it’s always been pretty mild. I was down in San Diego for the 4th and just about melted.

Damn, I was going to invite you to my gym and ask if you were going to the competition in August.

Also, speaking of conditioning, I tried some timed deadlifts (60 seconds AMAP) with about 75% of my 1RM, I was dead after 2 sets.

Did this the other day and it smoked me pretty good.

Leap Frog Medley

2 implements at starting point (I used a 205lb sandbag and 100lb keg)

Run sandbag 25’
Run back to keg
Run keg 50’
Run back to sandbag
Run sandbag to keg
Run keg 25’ back toward start line
Run back to sandbag
Run sandbag back to start line
Run back to keg
Run keg back to start line

Was basically trying to combine a carry medley with suicides. At first, you think the 25’ is a joke, but toward the end it still feels like forever.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
For squats and sprints, you could always do Dan John’s Litinov workout

https://www.T-Nation.com/training/litvinov-workout[/quote]

Ever since I read this workout a year or so ago, I’ve wanted to see someone actually complete it (I’m looking at you, Alpha).

My current favourite strongman(ish) challenge:
5-4-3-2-1 trap bar deadlifts/farmers walks.
5 deadlift reps, walk 20m, rest as needed, 4 deadlifts etc.

dagill: Oh man, I would totally give that a try IF I thought I could hit 405 for 3 sets of 8! But, as soon as i get through Maryland’s Strongest Man i will give it a shot!

And I love the medley you wrote! I may program that one in for my Athletes Monday!

[quote]Alpha wrote:
dagill: Oh man, I would totally give that a try IF I thought I could hit 405 for 3 sets of 8! But, as soon as i get through Maryland’s Strongest Man i will give it a shot!

And I love the medley you wrote! I may program that one in for my Athletes Monday![/quote]
That would be pretty awesome to see, I didn’t include weights because I have no idea how it would scale for athletes with actual muscle. I used 135kg, which is probably about 80-85% of what I’d normally use for farmers walks and about 10-15 deep breaths for rest.

Loving your method of doing short conditioning before strength work by the way, I’ve been slowly ramping this up over the last month and it’s working great (apart from when I program it stupidly).

Good luck for Nationals

This weekend my friend and I did a 100 yard dash with farmers walks. We found these sandbags 50lbs each and ran as fast as we could with them across a football field. When one of us slowed down we would yell about how you have to get your 50lb baby to the hospital and it is right in the end zone lolol.

Tried this again this week with 50lb sand bags in each hand. It was a very interesting workout that required both strength and endurance. It is also funny trying to run fast because you cant pump your arms enough to move quickly.

Not strongman in terms of load but the following works for me training at home:

A1) Alternating fireman’s lift x4 (heavy punch bag with additional weight plates inserted. Once over the shoulder I bring it back down onto a pad with as little negative contraction as possible, then switch shoulders).
A2) Trap bar farmer’s walk x 40 yards (spilt into two legs). I use tyres with weight plates inside for more uneven load

B1) Bearhug walk x 40 yards (using the weighted punch bag again)
B2) KB front raise, or KB with bands crucifix hold, for as long as possible

C) Tug of war x 20 yards x 2-3 sets (using heavy rope and tyre sled; started this recently after reading Wendler’s challenge article).

D) Tyre atlas stones (again using plates in the tyre and heaving them up onto an industrial bin, which is a good height). Will do straight reps or use timer for intervals, i.e. 30s on 10s off for as many as possible.

Depending on time/energy levels, I may throw in some other finishers, e.g. weighted tyre carry medley, where I leave weight plates at each end of the lap, increase the load each visit until I reach the max and then do a descending ladder.

I do this once a week on top of my other athletic-based training, and have to say it’s my favourite session, especially as I’m training outside in the back car park. I prefer to do it on a Saturday, and tie it in to a high calorie day, which is perfect given the energy expenditure over the 40mins or so.

I’ve also ordered a sled harness and plan to incorporate forward pulling into these days to hit my legs more, as I believe the programme is more upper body focussed.

ATLAS STONE CARRY CHALLENGE
Grab an Atlas Stone that is at least 50% of your Bodyweight, set a stopwatch and start walking. Go as far as You possibly can in 25 Minutes. Unlimited Drops allowed…Use whatever carry positions or styles you want…Just cover as much distance in the given time limit that you feel you are capable of.

Once 25 Minutes is complete, take 5 Minutes of Rest.

Then pick up your rock and get back to the starting line in less time then it took you to get out there.

If you can do so, you win. If you cannot, you lose.

If you sandbag during this challenge, lose my number, we are no longer friends.

Do what you think is right.

uggg, this is brutal

That sounds amazing Alpha. Did you use tacky or have sleeves/a sweatshirt, or did you just end up looking like the worlds worst case of road rash by the time you were done?

And more importantly, I’d be interested in the % in your gym who were able to dig deep enough to ‘win’ that after going all out for the first 25… Brutal indeed. Of course, IMO if you complete this you win whether you cross the finish line within the 2nd 25 minutes or not.

This one sucked…
50 foot arm over arm sled drag w/ a keg on the sled.
once you get the sled to you, take off the keg and clean & press it 15 times
then low handle prowler 50 feet back to the start.