T Nation

Great Medleys/Conditioning Challenges?

Do any of you guys have some great examples of some brutal competitions you have taken part in or have trained with yourself?

Looking for fun heavy conditioning challenges.

Thanks!

Strongman Medley
Strongman Medley

Keg Carry/Sled Drag is always a good one.

husafell style carry, only 150lbs, sprint back, 750lb tire flip. I was prepared for both, but the sprint in between added an extra layer of hurt.

Also, at one of the gyms I train at, we have some old bombs that are turned into farmers walk implements. They only weigh 100 pounds per hand. We will occasionally take them up the hill and back for around a half mile. I currently have the gym record. I think it’s around 4 and 1/2 minutes and 4 drops. The first time, I was prepared for it to suck and still underestimated how bad it was.

Thanks Fellas!

At my first contest we did this:
180lb Keg x 60 Feet, Sprint back to get next keg…4x total
Immediately to 245lb Farmer’s Walk x 150 feet.

At Nationals this year we had to do:
60 Foot Keg Carry (275lb Keg)
50 Foot Farmer’s Walk (275lbs each hand)
40 Foot Duck Walk (300 lbs)

Please keep these coming, I am always looking for new ways to program these into my training.

Been doing 90kg sack carry, throw it into sled with 150-200kg weight and pull it back the 25m track. Rubbery like skiis on the sled, it has good traction so rather hard to initiate the pull, but it’s fun and damn my quads are on fire after that.

One is also tire flip, sack carry and sled pull and finish with tire flip.

I’ve done this during the hottest days of SC/NC summers at the END of event sessions.

Farmers walk, weight around 40% of your near-max walk weight and take it for a distance of approx. a quarter mile to a full mile. For each drop, you take 10-20 burpees as a penalty. Short, sweet, and simple. Extremely difficult to finish. Especially the fact that even if you do quit, you have to walk the distance back, which, if you did the aforementioned set properly, will cause you to loathe all existence.

Although lacking multiple parameters of training, it really makes you dig the fuck in where it hurts most. Give it a try Alpha.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
I’ve done this during the hottest days of SC/NC summers at the END of event sessions.

Farmers walk, weight around 40% of your near-max walk weight and take it for a distance of approx. a quarter mile to a full mile. For each drop, you take 10-20 burpees as a penalty. Short, sweet, and simple. Extremely difficult to finish. Especially the fact that even if you do quit, you have to walk the distance back, which, if you did the aforementioned set properly, will cause you to loathe all existence.

Although lacking multiple parameters of training, it really makes you dig the fuck in where it hurts most. Give it a try Alpha.[/quote]

Sounds brutally terrific! you know I will

To build up conditioning I have been carrying a 200 lb sandbag 50 yards then throwing it into my wheelbarrow for the 50 back, as quick as possible until my heart explodes, pretty fun.

Did one the other day that was pretty tough…

As Many Rounds As Possible in 12 Minutes
50 Keg Run. Once the 50 foot is completed, perform 3 Keg Clean & Presses.

Keg weight: As close to bodyweight as possible

There is the famous ‘death medley’ from the Battle of The Beast Pro-Am (Plat+) that took place in Jersey back in 2008:

• Farmers Walk 50’ (was 300 lbs/hand in the contest)
  • Tire Flip x 5 Flips (was 850 lbs in the contest)
  • Chain Drag or Sled Drag x 50’ (was really heavy, not sure on exact weight)

Another good one, which was actually also in the same contest is a keg carry and load medley. At that event there were six kegs and you had to carry each on 20’ then load and run back to get the next it so it was a lot of running.

If you have two different size tires you could set them up 20’ apart and flip them away from each other then run to the other - each flip increases the distance that you need to run to get to the other tire. If you wanted to make it even more difficult you could carry a keg or other heavy object with you between the tires.

Maybe more mental than physical -

At special trainings for Karate we would stand kebu dachi (horse riding stance) for 90 minutes. One group we did this watching the sunrise in Tahoe national forest.

Captain needa: I have a big background in shotokan karate and we used to have to do that as well. Never for 90 minutes, but that sounds absolutely brutal.

I threw this medley together today, it was pretty good.

5 Rounds, 2 Minutes rest between rounds
50 foot Tire Flips
50 foot Keg Carry
50 foot sandbag carry
50 foot explosive sled drag

Might be a little plain-vanilla as I work out at home, but today I did a challenge of clean-and-pressing a heavy (88-pound) kettlebell as many times as possible in 5 minutes (I completed 26 reps). Scaling the weight and time to your own preference, I believe that could be a worthy conditioning challenge for anyone.

I love challenges like that described in here though. At some point this summer I plan to haul a heavy KB over to a local playground with a pull-up bar and do the following:

1 clean and press per hand
1 pull-up
2 pull-ups
3 pull-ups

and seeing how far I can make it.

I’m going to buy a new toy at some point this summer. Just have to decide if I should take Punisher’s advice and go with a keg, or go with my heart and buy an axle and some bumpers, or go with door 3 and get a 106-pound KB.

This made me want to die today:

Axle Deadlift Drop Set
6 Axle Deadlifts @ 85% of 1RM
:90 Seconds Rest
8 Axle Deadlifts @ 80% of 1RM
:90 Seconds Rest
10 Axle Deadlifts @ 70% of 1RM

Atlas Stone supersetted with axle clean and press. Rest 60 seconds and repeat 6 times.

*Every minute on the minute implement cleans for 10 minutes. Perform 3 reps each time.

-The most brutal version I’ve done so far has been sandbag cleans. I ran this with the log once, but it wasn’t quite heavy enough. Going to perform this with the keg soon.

*Tabata clean and press (log or axle) with 40-50% of 1rm

-I think the log is a better choice just because grip fatigue is less of an issue, but I’ve used the axle and a barbell as well.

*15 minute conditioning challenge (as many rounds as possible)

-I’ve performed this a few different ways now.

First one is kettlebell swing for 10 reps, chins for 5, dips for 5. You want to set the kettlebell right at the base of a power tower so that you can instantly transition between movements.

Second way was kettlebell swings for 10 reps, log clean and press for 5 (clean once), chins for 5. Truthfully, the kb swing and the log clean are too redundant, and my back fried out too early. If I had to do that one again, I’d nix the KB, and instead just clean the log for each press.

Did three rounds of this today, it was pretty miserable.

Posted this in Alpha’s log today, but another one (scalable to you bigger, stronger men of course)…

Lately, I’ve been taking a full lap of my block (just over half a mile, takes 12-14 minutes) carrying a kettlebell in the “waiter walk” position. Can’t make it the full length without a lot of stops, but the goal is to eventually reduce the number of stops/hand-switches required.

I’m also going to try a different spin where I try a full lap of the block with the KB in the suitcase position in one hand, then take a second lap with it in the other hand.

So I was thinking about this yesterday. I did stones on Sunday and it was clear my strength endurance needs to be brought up. I was thinking that 20 rep squats would be a real kick ass conditioning tool, but would recovery be a concern?