GrayNW's Workout and Adventures Log

54M 5’6" 187lbs ~21% BF
Starting again, but with new hips!

Hello all,

New Year’s Day is a momentous point to start over again from. I had a total hip replacement mid October, and the other total hip replacment mid December. 1/1/2023 is two weeks worth of recovery, and time to slowly start moving again. Been battling hip pain going on four years now, which has made it difficult to do a lot of things I love (working out, hiking, skiing, running, cycling, adventure races, walking down the drive to get the mail…)

I’ve been doing some upper body work for this last year or so, but I am delighted to get on a program and stick with it - 2023 is going to be an active and busy year! I started messing around with weights about 6 or 7 years ago, and again got serious about it 4 years ago. Read Jim’s books and ran 5/3/1 for 8 or 9 months until the hips started making themselves known. I’ve ran or biked fairly consistently for the last 10-15 years. Doc says no more running on the new hips (for fitness, running around the yard chasing granddkids is cool), but that’s ok - I like riding my bike better anyway.

I’m short and squat - don’t care about my weight much, but I’m looking forward to a lower body fat % just as a nice side effect of moving a lot more this year. I’ve stepped on the Fitbit Aria scale every single day for the last 4 or 5 years, so I have a nice large data set of watching the weight and body fat come and go.

Last lifts:
Overhead Press 11/30/2022 3x8x105
Bench Press 11/30/2022 5x5x170
Squat 2/10/2022 1x5x135
Deadlift 3/14/2022 3x5x250

2023 Goals:
turn into a Beast
ride up the 2 big local hills
complete Alpe du Zwift
pistol squat
handstand push up
stay consistent - move every day
lose fat, gain muscle
look good with my shirt off

Program:
I think it’s a Tactical Barbell type of year. I’ll run an 8 week base to start with and see where I’m at. I’ll either do another Base (I have a lot of catching up to do…) or move to Green + Fighter after that. Maybe finish the year with Black + Operator. I like progressing my big 4 (BP, OHP, SQ, DL) but I also really enjoy riding the bike. I also want to move more and better this year and will incorporate Ben’s Knees Over Toes and various “mobility” and bodyweight movements, with a goal of a pistol squat and a handstand push up by years end.

Things I want to incorporate more of this year: more pullups!, burpees, farmers walks, sandbags over the shoulder, walking up the hills with the weighted vest on, long walk every day w/or w/out weighted vest.

#t-ransformation2023

8 Likes

Day 1!

It’s a new year and I’m so ready to go - cleared off docs restrictions and it feels so good to be able to move without pain. Did pain free @ChongLordUno burpees this morning for the first time in many years.

Before Pictures:

Gotta get rid of that gut!!

Starting tactical barbell base building today - but Sunday’s are the plan’s rest day for me, so I did:

• Walk 30m treadmill

• PT Stretches

• 10 x 5 Burpees

t-ransformation2023 @TrainForPain

54M 5'6" 186#

6 Likes

Happy to have you!

1 Like

Day 2

• Walk 30m treadmill
  • PT Stretches
  • 5x10 Burpees

Tactical Barbell Base Building Week 1 Day 2
SE Cluster 3x20:

• DB Floor Press 15lb
  • Lunges BW
  • DB Row 15lb
  • DB Push Press 15lb
  • Squats BW
  • Lying Leg Raises BW

rest 1 min between exercises, 2 min between sets

54M 5’6" 186# t-ransformation2023

4 Likes

Can’t wait till you get to the 3x50 week

1 Like

Gray, just the the other day I was chatting with a friend on mine in the gym. He has hip replacement and a knee as well. He was doing barbell squats over a hundred pounds no trouble at all. I’m sure you can get to that point.

1 Like

thanks Cavalier - I’m looking forward to adding some weight. Per Doc, have to wait until 6 weeks post to progress past bodyweight on squats and deads. I’m planning on starting slow with the goblet squats and move up my dumbbells until I run out of weight (40’s my biggest DB), then get under the bar and continue the slow progress. I’m old now :slight_smile: - so not concerned with maxing out or hitting any PRs, just want to build my glutes quads hamms back up so I can keep moving as I get REALLY old!

Got my walk, stretches, and TB BB E30 in this morning - had a 30 minute ride on the bike - but now that I’m back to work in the mornings my workout needs some schedule tweaking. I’ll get my 50 burpees in this afternoon then post my daily update.

1 Like

Day 3

• Walk 30m treadmill
  • PT Stretches

Tactical Barbell Base Building Week 1 Day 3
E30:

5x10 Burpees

54M 5’6" 184# t-ransformation2023

1 Like

Day 4

• 30 min walk
  • PT stretches

Tactical Barbell Base Building Week 1 Day 4
E30:

2x5 Burpees

54M 5’6" 185# t-ransformation2023

1 Like

Day 5

• Walk 30m treadmill

Tactical Barbell Base Building Week 1 Day 5
SE Cluster 2x20:

• DB Floor Press 15lb
  • Lunges BW
  • DB Row 15lb
  • DB Push Press 15lb
  • Squats BW
  • Lying Leg Raises BW

rest 30sec between exercises, 2 min between sets

• PT Stretches
  • 2x10 Burpees

54M 5’6" 187# t-ransformation2023

2 Likes

Day 6

• Walk 30m treadmill

Tactical Barbell Base Building Week 1 Day 6
Recovery

• PT Stretches Plus extra stretching/yoga/movement
  • 3x5 Burpees

54M 5’6" 185# t-ransformation2023

2 Likes

Day 7
PT stretches

Tactical Barbell Base Building Week 1 Day 7
E35-120

60 minute bike ride:

2x10 Burpees

1 Like

Day 8

TB BB Week 2 day 1

Rest day

30 min walk on treadmill with 12 lbs in the weight vest

PT stretches

1 hour walk in the hills

2x10 Burpees

1 Like

Day 9

30M walk + 12lbs weighted vest
1x10 Burpees

TB BB Week 2 day 2
SE 3x30

No Go at this station - felt pretty crappy and started getting nauseous after walk + one round of burpees. Told myself I’d get back to it later in the day but never did.

Had a discussion with myself and decided the 30m weighted walk can’t replace the program I’m trying to complete, so if the program is important I have to do that first and fit in the weighted walk + burpees later in the day if I’m able. Program first - accessories second, no matter how much I enjoy the walk and burpees.

Onward and upward.

2 Likes

Day 10

TB BB Week 2 day 10
E40
40 minute Zwift ride

30min +12lbs walk on the treadmill at lunch

zero burpees

1 Like

Day 11

TB BB Week 2 day 11
E40

40 minute Zwift ride:

Today I am 13 weeks post left hip replacement and 4 weeks post right hip replacement. Wonderful to walk around without the bone on bone pain coming out of both hips, but I have to accept that I have a couple years worth of activity and cardio that I missed out on and I need to both let my glutes hams quads recover and heal from surgery AND allow my body time to adjust to increased work.

I’m deep down tired - pulling back on some of the extras (weighted walks and burpees) to ensure I can still knock out this program. And if I can’t complete as prescribed - I’ll simply run it again after the 8 weeks is completed.

No walk or burpees today

2 Likes

Day 12

TB BB Week 2 day 5
SE 2x30

• Floor Press 15lb DBs
  • Lunges BW 15xside
  • Row 15lb DB, 15xside
  • Push Press 15lb DBs
  • Squat BW
  • Leg Lifts

1 min between exercises, 2 minutes between sets