Grass Fed Milk

Does anyone know the fatty acid composition of milk that came from grass fed cows? i’ll tell this, it tastes good (full fat version).
thanks

I hate it when milk eats corn.

[quote]biggyboy wrote:
Does anyone know the fatty acid composition of milk that came from grass fed cows? i’ll tell this, it tastes good (full fat version).
thanks[/quote]

not a huge amount different than grain fed milk. The main difference is subtley different fatty acid profile, and consistency of that fatty acid profile.

do cows survive on hay alone through the winter ? or are " grass fed " cows allowed grain as well ?

here is a link with some EFA info.

here is part of a newsletter from a grass fed dairy near here comparing grassfed organic to just organic.

TRADER’S POINT CREAMERY

Our Milk Highest in CLA and Omega3
We have been doing an analysis of the fatty acids in the milk from our 100% grass-fed organic herd compared to another leading brand of organic milk.

The results are very encouraging. Our milk had significantly more Omega 3s and Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) then another leading brand of organic milk. Over a period of 5 months we sent samples of pasteurized whole milk to be tested for 34 fatty acids.

The tests were one at Utah State University in Logan Utah under the supervision of Dr. Tilak Dhiman, an internationally recognized expert on health and nutritional benefits of exclusively grass based dairying and beef production. I have provided references for the health claims in this article at the end of the newsletter.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) and Omega 3 are fatty acids of particular importance to our health. CLA has been shown to have significant anti-cancer properties, encourages the buildup of muscles, and prevents weight gain.

Omega 3 is one of those essential (but unstable) polyunsaturated fats that, in proper balance with Omega 6, helps maintain good health, promote brain and vision development, and protect against heart disease. Dairy and meat from grass-fed animals are rich natural sources of CLA and Omega 3. Research has shown that the feeding of grain dramatically lowers the CLA and Omega 3.

Fat in our diet is essential for a healthy body. Fats provide a concentrated source of energy, are the building blocks for cell membranes and hormones, are carriers of the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K), essential for the conversion of carotene to Vitamin A, and for mineral absorption.

Fats can be classified as saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. This classification is based on the degree that the fat?s carbon atom linkages are occupied - or saturated - with hydrogen atoms. This chain of carbon atoms can also be classified by length: short, medium, long, and very long chains of carbon atoms.

All fats and oils, whether of animal or vegetable origin, are a combination of these three types of fat. Our bodies need all three types of fat to be healthy.

This classification system can be very confusing. I like to group fats by their degree of stability, which is based upon the degree to which the carbon atoms are filled by hydrogen atoms. Saturated fats are very stable, do not go rancid easily, and in their natural state are solid (butter, animal fats, tropical oils). Monounsaturated oils are slightly less stable and include olive oil and nut oils.

At the other end of the stability spectrum is the polyunsaturated fats (most vegetable oils), with many of the electrons on the carbon chain open, which means the oil can go rancid easily and be highly chemically reactive.

Because polyunsaturated fats are unstable, yet essential for our health, they need to be handled carefully and not subjected to the heat, oxygen, and moisture often associated with cooking and processing.

This is probably more then you ever wanted to know about fats. In my opinion there is a lot of false information about fats so I have tried to educate myself so that I can make wiser choices.

I have concluded that saturated and monounsaturated fats are good and polyunsaturated fats, essential to health but chemically unstable, and must be treated carefully to preserve their health benefits.

We will continue to test the fatty acids in our dairy products in comparison to other organic and commercial products and give updates as we have them. In the meantime I hope you enjoy the health and taste benefits of organic grass-fed dairy products.