T Nation

Grass Fed Beef

i’ve found grass fed beef to really kick ass. and there’s something especially relaxing and satisfying about cutting/trimming/portioning meat on a sunday afternoon. it’s kind of like fishing. also i’m developing some skilz with a filet knife. now i get to eat.

That looks really good. Dont even cook it. Scarf that shit down like a man.

Where do you get it?

I’ve NEVER seen any grocery store meal look that good.

[quote]swivel wrote:
i’ve found grass fed beef to really kick ass. and there’s something especially relaxing and satisfying about cutting/trimming/portioning meat on a sunday afternoon. it’s kind of like fishing. also i’m developing some skilz with a filet knife. now i get to eat.[/quote]

thats a thing of beauty! im just about to start cooking for the week myself. lean ground beef, mixed veggies, sweet taters, etc. i love looking in my fridge and seeing all the tupperware containers stacked up all nice and neat.

Man that brought a tear to my eye. My liver tabs are grass fed but thats a close as I get to those beauties.

A

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
That looks really good. Dont even cook it. Scarf that shit down like a man.[/quote]

double r , you’re not kidding man. i figure i ate about 8 oz of trim pieces w/ a little sea salt while i was doing this.

swr- i’ve got a friend who’s owns a small restaurant and right now he’s running tenderloin on the menu so he gives them to me for cost. even though it’s wholesale it’s still pretty expensive - 12.99 lb.this one was just over 8 lbs. i lost about 7 or 8 oz cleaning it.

the way to go though is to buy a side or a quarter right from the farm. i don’t have a freezer yet but i hope to next year.

I know of a place in the Shenandoah Valley that has gress fed beef. It is a rather small butcher shop, but they have a slaughter room somewhere in there.

The taste of that beef is exquisite. The place is in Woodstock outside of Washington DC. It is rather expensive compared to a grocery store.

Gore’s Processing Inc
(540) 984-8138
12526 S Middle Rd
Edinburg, VA Map

Its pretty easy to order off the internet. If you do a search on grass fed beef or bison you’ll come up with a number of sources. I’ve also found it at Wegmans and Harris Teeter if you have one of those stores (cheaper than mail order). I usually order bison as it seems to have an even better taste and nutritional profile than regular grass fed beef.

[quote]altimus wrote:
swivel wrote:
i’ve found grass fed beef to really kick ass. and there’s something especially relaxing and satisfying about cutting/trimming/portioning meat on a sunday afternoon. it’s kind of like fishing. also i’m developing some skilz with a filet knife. now i get to eat.

thats a thing of beauty! im just about to start cooking for the week myself. lean ground beef, mixed veggies, sweet taters, etc. i love looking in my fridge and seeing all the tupperware containers stacked up all nice and neat. [/quote]

Cooking for the week? What kind of stuff do you cook that lasts a full week? I usually cook lean beef or ground turkey, but it lasts only about 3 days.

Eat the fat from the grass feed beef…higher in omega 3 that the grain feed beef which is higher in omega 6.

Try and get butter and milk made from grass feed cows…

I usually order from www.grasslandbeef.com, they have good prices and free shipping. www.localharvest.org will probably have a supplier close to you, great veggies and free range eggs too.

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
altimus wrote:
thats a thing of beauty! im just about to start cooking for the week myself. lean ground beef, mixed veggies, sweet taters, etc. i love looking in my fridge and seeing all the tupperware containers stacked up all nice and neat.

Cooking for the week? What kind of stuff do you cook that lasts a full week? I usually cook lean beef or ground turkey, but it lasts only about 3 days.
[/quote]

no it lasts longer than that if you wrap it. 5 days anyway. for example those larger cuts in the pic i’ll cook off and use for sandwiches or quesadillas all week. just slicing off what i need. i also cooked off 3 lbs of chicken today for the same reason. you can also get alot of prep work done like washing all your stuff cutting and portioning vegetables etc. this way you’re just cooking all week without the preptime and you only really have to clean up once instead of every day. you do need to ziplock everything and make sure your surfaces/hands/utensils are clean but that’s not too hard once you’re aware.

[quote]duece wrote:
I usually order from www.grasslandbeef.com, they have good prices and free shipping. www.localharvest.org will probably have a supplier close to you, great veggies and free range eggs too.[/quote]

do they fed-ex it in dry ice or something ?

[quote]Petedacook wrote:

Gore’s Processing Inc
(540) 984-8138
12526 S Middle Rd
Edinburg, VA Map

[/quote]

LMAO gore’s butcher shop, how gory(sp?).

[quote]swivel wrote:

do they fed-ex it in dry ice or something ?

[/quote]
Yes, frozen and then packed in dry ice.

If you live in Australia, nearly all beef is grass fed apparently…

U.S. Wellness Meats makes meat bars. They’re made with pemmican. Grass fed beef, lard, a little bit of honey and cherries I believe.

They’re really good with some cheese, guac and/or salsa. Talk about a meal replacement bar.

Swivel-

How was the taste of the raw trimmings, and that has got to be about the tastiest looking meat I have seen.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Swivel-

How was the taste of the raw trimmings, and that has got to be about the tastiest looking meat I have seen.[/quote]

it tastes AWESOME with some salt and it’s unbelievably tender. you can see in the pic how squishy it is.

and this is AUSSIE beef btw. grass fed/finished and shipped fresh not frozen. apparently some producers feed grass but then supplement with grain in winter or for the last few fattening weeks or whatever. so if you want grass fed make sure it’s “grass finished”.

[quote]swivel wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
Swivel-

How was the taste of the raw trimmings, and that has got to be about the tastiest looking meat I have seen.

it tastes AWESOME with some salt and it’s unbelievably tender. you can see in the pic how squishy it is.

and this is AUSSIE beef btw. grass fed/finished and shipped fresh not frozen. apparently some producers feed grass but then supplement with grain in winter or for the last few fattening weeks or whatever. so if you want grass fed make sure it’s “grass finished”.
[/quote]

Thats the way a lot of the IBP stuff in kansas is, grass fed, but grain finished.

I really, really need to find a wayto get some grass fed beef, because I would really like to taste what raw beef tastes like, and I am not thinking my package of sirloins from wal-mart is safe to eat without cooking.