T Nation

Grappling Hydration/Nutrition

I’ve started going to more and longer classes BJJ classes these days, sometimes up to 3 hours in a row. I lose a massive amount of water during my training, as anyone who’s ever worn a gi can appreciate.

What is the best way to stay hydrated and minimize catabolisis during these workouts?

I usually drink excess water before class, have some BCAAs when I start and drink a sports drink and water throughout. I drink Surge after the class ends and then drink a lot of iced tea when I get home.

Any other suggestions? Any ideas on the appropriate amount to drink during training?

[quote]Res Judicata wrote:
I’ve started going to more and longer classes BJJ classes these days, sometimes up to 3 hours in a row. I lose a massive amount of water during my training, as anyone who’s ever worn a gi can appreciate.

What is the best way to stay hydrated and minimize catabolisis during these workouts?

I usually drink excess water before class, have some BCAAs when I start and drink a sports drink and water throughout. I drink Surge after the class ends and then drink a lot of iced tea when I get home.

Any other suggestions? Any ideas on the appropriate amount to drink during training? [/quote]

I have similar training.
I go through at least 64oz of gatorade powder in water. I make it more dilute than the bottled drink.