T Nation

Graphic Novels

I’ll match these characters graphic novel against any out there for pure fun. first appeared in 2000 A.D. also have a book- D. R. and Quinch’s Totally Awesome Guide to Life that covers things like death; extremely painful death; nuclear weapons for the home; the art of total destruction; 101 uses for a flame thrower; making friends with a pyromaniac; spitting; and how to be incredibly offensive.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
So i finished Astonishing X-men…meh[/quote]

You might be finding regular superhero life too tame or you haven’t got the connection with the characters like those who have been reading for decades.

If you want a more violent look at things, really check out The Boys. Satirical, funny, violent, lots of fun. Basically, The Boys police the Supes, who are controlled by one corporation. Can’t recommend this series enough.

Or you probably already know The Punisher but Garth Ennis(who wrote The Boys) defines the character to me. Violent, unrelenting, just a terrifying single minded guy.

[/quote]

Nothing about it being to tame, and i grew up on marvel comics as a kid an teen. Problem i had with it is that the story was too segmented and conviluted. We start off with some alien guy and a cure threat, then boom artificial intellegence. All the while multiple mystery arcs and continued refference to past story arcs, none of which get explained or are crucial to the ongoing plot.

The only thing that really holds it together is Weadon’s ability to mix in sparatic comedy within dramatic settings.

Thinking about grabbing some of the Venom books when he was given his own story as an anti hero back when Brock was the host.

Also, so far the Dark Night Returns is great!

Batman: Black Mirror is one of the most amazing Batmans I’ve read in a long time. You may need a couple bits of background (such as where Bruce is and why Dick is Batman), but beyond that, it stands on its own, and it’s amazing. The writing, the story, the artwork- fantastic.

[quote]byukid wrote:
Batman: Black Mirror is one of the most amazing Batmans I’ve read in a long time. You may need a couple bits of background (such as where Bruce is and why Dick is Batman), but beyond that, it stands on its own, and it’s amazing. The writing, the story, the artwork- fantastic.[/quote]
I agree, Snyders best batman run so far.

So big thread bump, I wanted to make a graphic novel thread but then searched old topics and found this. Did you ever see the movie? I’m a HUGE Alan Moore fan and most attempts at putting his thoughts onto the screen have failed miserably, but V for Vendetta may be the best adaptation of a comic ever, IMO. Besides maybe Road to Perdition.

Also, if you have never read them, Maus is a true holocaust story - the author interviewed his parents about their experiences and wrote a graphic novel using mice as the characters. Incredible.

I went on a bit of a graphic novel kick this year. Highlights included:

-Maus, as mentioned above. Just incredible.
-The Boys by Garth Ennis. Holy shit that was good.
-Preacher by Garth Ennis. Also amazing.
-Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis. Yes, I am a rather large fan of Garth Ennis.
-Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Way more cerebral than the Garth Ennis stuff.
-Y: The Last Man by I can’t remember whom. Hilarious and also kinda sad.
-Watchmen by Alan Moore. Waaaay better than the shitty movie.

Have you read The Courtyard and its sequels?

Great thread. I’m a voracious reader, and live graphic novels. I’ll suggest three to keep things simple:

Planetary- 4 volumes total, I still think this is one of the best graphic novels ever written. Warren Ellis wrote it. Basic premise is he takes Marvel and DC and turns them upside down: What if four astronauts returned from space and instead of becoming The Fantastic Four they were evil instead? Great read.

Seven To Eternity- really well written. Magic, demons, sweet writing.

Black Hammer- similar to Planetary mentioned above. What if 6 super heroes were mysteriously transported to a small farm town in the middle of nowhere, and they were stuck there and forced to work and live on a farm? Sounds lame but it’s actually quite good.

NO and I’ve been meaning to. I’m assuming they’re awesome?

Oh, and if you like Neil Gaiman, because what sane person doesn’t, I just got this:

The entire marvel universe, but in the year 1602! Totally badass.

And yeah I was just talking about Watchmen in the movie thread. How do you take out Rorschach’s psychological profiling? Also if Dr Manhattan was the bomb and not the giant squid, wouldn’t America still be to blame? And it would solve nothing? For one, it should have been a miniseries, but my main point when people are like “well you can’t fit everything in” is “if you speed up Zack Snyders super epic slow mo you get plenty of room for better things”

I liked the first Sin City movie too. Have all the Sin City comics.