Graphic Novels

I am a compulsive reader. On a whim I grabbed the Walking Dead Compendium One and really enjoyed it. Figured i take a ‘vacation’ from traditional books and check out a few graphic novels to change things up a bit for this month. Have a gift card from Amazon so i figured id grab a few graphic novels.

Can anyone recommend any? So far all I have in my shopping cart is The Dark Knight Returns. In my youth I was a big Marvel guy but I have heard great things about that one.

Game of Thrones is pretty good.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Actually read 1-3 of the novel’s currently reading the 4rth so im not sure if it would just seem like a pictorial recap instead of new material to me.

Dark Knight Returns is amazing also try:

Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon
Maus by Art Spiegleman
Preacher by Garth Ennis
Sandman by Neil Gaiman

Batman - The Long Halloween
Batman - Under the Red Hood
The Watchmen
Spawn Origins

Some really good ones that I have read.

[quote]redstar144 wrote:

Maus by Art Spiegleman
Preacher by Garth Ennis
Sandman by Neil Gaiman
[/quote]

Thanks, was looking at the Astonishing X-men. It’s two books right?

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Actually read 1-3 of the novel’s currently reading the 4rth so im not sure if it would just seem like a pictorial recap instead of new material to me. [/quote]

If you’ve read the novels and/or seen the show it would be a recap. Visually it’s a nice addition though.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
The Watchmen
Spawn Origins

Some really good ones that I have read. [/quote]

On the topic of Watchmen. I almost bought it at the bookstore the other night but would love for someone to answer this prior:

Will i enjoy it even though I watched that crappy movie attempt at it and know the ending?

Sin City is great if you like Noir.

So i have these in my cart and thank you Amazon Prime will start to dig in on Wed.

Watchmen
Sin City Vol 1
Astonish X-Men book 1
The Dark Knight Returns
Walking Dead Compendium 2

Just finishing up the book World War Z and will start to indulge once i’m done.

Top Cow/Image Titles

Planetary
Rising Stars
Midnight Nation
Tom Judge

DC

Batman: Hush
Lobo: Unbound

Marvel

Astonishing X-MEN by Joss Whedon
Uncanny X-Force: The Dark Angel Saga

Just some off the top of my head…

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
The Watchmen
Spawn Origins

Some really good ones that I have read. [/quote]

On the topic of Watchmen. I almost bought it at the bookstore the other night but would love for someone to answer this prior:

Will i enjoy it even though I watched that crappy movie attempt at it and know the ending? [/quote]

The Watchmen probably had enough content to make at least 2 movies. They did a pretty good job at getting most of the story, but they did leave out quite a bit. You may or may not enjoy it, since the novel is a mystery (not action).

Two of the best I’ve read are:

Y: The Last Man

Preacher

100 Bullets is also excellent

edit: I see that Preacher was already mentioned.

james

Old Man Logan is one of the best runs of wolverine out there, no sure if it counts as a graphic novel though.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]redstar144 wrote:

Maus by Art Spiegleman
Preacher by Garth Ennis
Sandman by Neil Gaiman
[/quote]

Thanks, was looking at the Astonishing X-men. It’s two books right? [/quote]

This is Whedons run in its entirety as you can see its quite expensive so you may prefer to buy it bit by bit. Astonishing continues on without him but the quality drops significantly so its prob best just to pick up his stuff.

The Boys - Garth Ennis - Series is done so you can read the whole thing. Everyone should read this.

Hellblazer - They are slowly releasing all of the 300 issues in trade. Again, series is done so you can read it all

Scalped - crime drama set on a reservation. Very good. Again, it’s done so you can pick them up.

batman: death of the family (just recently completed. had good ratings. about the joker. really good stuff)
BONE (loved this even though the main character looked so cartoony)
SPAWN (if you like the darker stuff)
Y: the last man

i actually ‘acquired’ most of this from the net.

Came in to recommend The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City (and pretty much anything else Frank Miller), TWD, and the other Batman stuff already in here.

So the only thing I have to add is Batman: The Killing Joke and Batman: Knightfall (technically not a graphic novel but the 1st major story arc with Bane).

Sorry for the newb question but is a graphic novel the same as a comic book but with a fancier less childlike name?

Or is it something different?

I know this will probably sound crazy, but Animal Man (the Omnibus) is by far the most interesting graphic novel I’ve read (lol, I took a class on them in undergrad).