Grapefruit Juice and Drug Metabolism

I had heard that grapfruit juice slows the rate the the body metabolizes most drugs - is there any truth to this, and if so how much would be necessary to have any significant effect?

hi there, it actually enhances absorption

here is a link of a previous thread regarding this topic

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/grapefruit_assistan

Thank you!

I haven’t read the link Octobergirl posted, but I work in the social care field. One of my clients has had a kidney transplant and is on a few anti-rejection drugs. He is forbidden to have grapefruit juice for the exact reason you stated- his pills will have diminished effects.

I actually get a ‘Bad SQL’ message when I click on that link^^^

[quote]Badunk wrote:
I haven’t read the link Octobergirl posted, but I work in the social care field. One of my clients has had a kidney transplant and is on a few anti-rejection drugs. He is forbidden to have grapefruit juice for the exact reason you stated- his pills will have diminished effects.[/quote]

hhhmmm in most cases grapefruit enhances absorption which is why you should not take your meds with grapefruit.

try this link
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/grapefruit_assistance?id=2487464&pageNo=1

if it doesn’t work, the title of the thread is “Grapefruit Assistance for Supps?”. I started it when I was considering using grapefruit to enhance my supp absorption.

use the Search Function “Grapefruit Assistance for Supps?”

Well, this guy takes a drug called Neoral and he can’t take grapefruit juice coz it neutralizes the meds. I haven’t researched it or anything, but it’s my job so I just follow his doctor’s advice. I will certainly check out your thread, though.

Your link worked, btw. Certainly food for thought. I’ll research this some more and dig out his kidney book to see what it says. I’m doing a sleepover at his house tomorrow night, so that could be my bedtime reading if I find it.

Thanks, October.