Grapefruit Assistance for Supps

I will try the Spike with Grapefruit as I have been doing some early morning workouts. Probably a good idea to take it in the morning as I do love my sleep.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Are you considering using actual, fresh fruit juice or an extract?

I would like to try this as well, since I am one of the few people that does not respond to most supplements.[/quote]

Fresh is best.

Also as a warning to most people about to try this, beware of any other medication you might be taking. You’ll effectively be increasing the dosage so watch out.

is there a set amount of grapefruit you should drink to get the effect of increasing absorption?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

is there a set amount of grapefruit you should drink to get the effect of increasing absorption?

[/quote]

That’s a good question. I usually avoid juice at all costs, but I make an exception for grapefruit juice for this exact purpose. If I am looking for a serious boost I will take about 6 to 8 ounces of GJ with one Spike tab. It’s certainly enough for me to feel the effect of the GJ. Enjoy!

[quote]Brayton wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

That’s a good question. I usually avoid juice at all costs, but I make an exception for grapefruit juice for this exact purpose. If I am looking for a serious boost I will take about 6 to 8 ounces of GJ with one Spike tab. It’s certainly enough for me to feel the effect of the GJ. Enjoy! [/quote]

Thanks Brayton! I haven’t tried it yet but I figure giving it a try is worthwhile.

I took my HOT-ROX with grapefruit this morning. I took one HOT-ROX instead of 2 and although I started work early and worked a long day I wasn’t tired and I definitely wasn’t hungry.

I’ll have to give it a try on a day when I am not so busy and see if I can tell a difference.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I took my HOT-ROX with grapefruit this morning. I took one HOT-ROX instead of 2 and although I started work early and worked a long day I wasn’t tired and I definitely wasn’t hungry.

I’ll have to give it a try on a day when I am not so busy and see if I can tell a difference.

[/quote]

So you juiced an actual grapefruit or did you drink some bottled juice, like the (hopefully) pure Odwalla stuff?

How much grapefruit did you try?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

So you juiced an actual grapefruit or did you drink some bottled juice, like the (hopefully) pure Odwalla stuff?

How much grapefruit did you try?[/quote]

I ate half a ruby red grapefruit. I am not crazy about juice.

I ate the other half after my workout. The whole vitamin “C” and cortisol, the glycogen refilling, and I like citrus.

seemed like a win/win

Try 250mL Grapefruit juice if you can get it. Freshly squeezed would be ideal IMHO.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Try 250mL Grapefruit juice if you can get it. Freshly squeezed would be ideal IMHO.[/quote]

I heard that it was mainly the increased amount of insulin from the carbs that was what was helping with the supplement absorption. I also remember reading that taking other supplements with your Pre or post workout shake is pretty much does the same thing as taking it with grapefruit/grape juice.

Correct me if I’m wrong please, but it’s what I remember reading.

[quote]Zackgsc wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Try 250mL Grapefruit juice if you can get it. Freshly squeezed would be ideal IMHO.

I heard that it was mainly the increased amount of insulin from the carbs that was what was helping with the supplement absorption. I also remember reading that taking other supplements with your Pre or post workout shake is pretty much does the same thing as taking it with grapefruit/grape juice.

Correct me if I’m wrong please, but it’s what I remember reading.[/quote]

Erm… check the link to the other thread.

Some years back MD’s in Florida found that senior citizens who ate grapefruit and took certain medicines, were having overdose symptoms.

Rather than cut the medicine prescriptions in half, or just lowering them, the MD’s wanted people to stop eating the grapefruit. They made no money from you eating grapefruit, they got golf clubs etc. if you took their prescribed drugs.

I used this ‘eat grapefruit first’ during a weight loss/self improvement, and it really worked.

Hello,
If I remember correctly there were some studies that showed Grapefruit can enhance and prolong the release of Caffeine. Also I thought I remember that the effect of Grapefruit builds up over time.

-D

[quote]denetl wrote:
Hello,
If I remember correctly there were some studies that showed Grapefruit can enhance and prolong the release of Caffeine. Also I thought I remember that the effect of Grapefruit builds up over time.

-D[/quote]

oh nooooo it has an effect on caffeine? I drink way too much as it is.

ah well… I suppose cutting back on caffeine won’t hurt me.
Thanks for that info!

[quote]philipj wrote:
Some years back MD’s in Florida found that senior citizens who ate grapefruit and took certain medicines, were having overdose symptoms. Rather than cut the medicine prescriptions in half, or just lowering them, the MD’s wanted people to stop eating the grapefruit. They made no money from you eating grapefruit, they got golf clubs etc. if you took their prescribed drugs.

I used this ‘eat grapefruit first’ during a weight loss/self improvement, and it really worked.[/quote]

well see now that makes sense!

but then again maybe there was the precaution because there is no way to quantify the actual enhancement for absorption so the doctors wouldn’t know how to say “this much grapefruit plus half your regular dosage” will work

But your post as how it would relate to supps is a very good point.