Granola Bars For Bulking?

Recently, I’ve developed a craving for granola bars, and at 100 calories each for a finger-sized bar, I would think that these would be an excellent food for bulking. However, I guess they can have the hidden “trans fat free” trans fat amounts of 0.5 grams per serving.

Just wondering if any of you know of any healthy granola bars, or have any comments on granola bars being a good food for bulking? I get my whole grains and raisins in a few bites! I just need a TRUE trans-fat free granola bar brand!

I’m pretty sure the Nature Valley brand has no hydrogenateds in it. Might want to double check, but I seem to remember that. I lived off of those things when I had to take a track course (I know that a track course in college sounds ridiculous, lol, but it was required for Kinesiology majors where I did my undergrad).

[quote]CC wrote:
I’m pretty sure the Nature Valley brand has no hydrogenateds in it. Might want to double check, but I seem to remember that. I lived off of those things when I had to take a track course (I know that a track course in college sounds ridiculous, lol, but it was required for Kinesiology majors where I did my undergrad).[/quote]

It doesn’t, but I believe they have fructose and high fructose corn syrup. I’m not sure how much of each, but I think they’re all near the end of the ingredients list FWIW.

If it has a little fructose in it it shouldn’t be a problem.
Just stay away from the HFCS and trans fats in these processed foods.
I use a protein powder that is made with stevia and a little fructose.
I don’t think it’s hurting me any.

[quote]UrbanSmooth wrote:
Recently, I’ve developed a craving for granola bars, and at 100 calories each for a finger-sized bar, I would think that these would be an excellent food for bulking. However, I guess they can have the hidden “trans fat free” trans fat amounts of 0.5 grams per serving.

Just wondering if any of you know of any healthy granola bars, or have any comments on granola bars being a good food for bulking? I get my whole grains and raisins in a few bites! I just need a TRUE trans-fat free granola bar brand![/quote]

Something with only 100 calories is now “great for bulking”? Maybe if you weigh 65lbs. For the rest of the world, something with so few calories wouldn’t even be worth the effort on a DIET.

[quote]UrbanSmooth wrote:

Just wondering if any of you know of any healthy granola bars, or have any comments on granola bars being a good food for bulking? I get my whole grains and raisins in a few bites! I just need a TRUE trans-fat free granola bar brand![/quote]

Make your own so you know what goes in it and you can control the amount of calories that you put in it… Trust me you can make a calorie dense bar, there are plenty of recipes

[quote]Serd wrote:
UrbanSmooth wrote:

Just wondering if any of you know of any healthy granola bars, or have any comments on granola bars being a good food for bulking? I get my whole grains and raisins in a few bites! I just need a TRUE trans-fat free granola bar brand!

Make your own so you know what goes in it and you can control the amount of calories that you put in it… Trust me you can make a calorie dense bar, there are plenty of recipes
[/quote]

Why? Why would someone put that much effort into making a granola bar instead of simply eating another meal? There is no such thing as a snack in bodybuilding. With the average serious trainer trying to get down 6 meals a day or more, why would someone be this concerned about granola?

Yeah,thats true.
If you want a snack and you’re bulking make sure the snack is more than 100 calories.
More like 650 calories.

I usually make 3 pita pizzas with cheese and tamato sauce for great bulk snacks(although they really are healthy).

Just put the whole wheat pitas in the oven for 10 min with tamato sauce on them,pull out,put on cheese and any kinda cooked meat you want,put back in for five minutes.

Some great snacks.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Serd wrote:
UrbanSmooth wrote:

Why? Why would someone put that much effort into making a granola bar instead of simply eating another meal? There is no such thing as a snack in bodybuilding. With the average serious trainer trying to get down 6 meals a day or more, why would someone be this concerned about granola?[/quote]

well the image that i was getting from his message is that he wanted a couple snacks between his larger meals to help increase his caloric intake. small dense bars that dont feel you up are good foods for bulking that allow you to consume more caloroes.

Why? Why would someone put that much effort into making a granola bar instead of simply eating another meal? There is no such thing as a snack in bodybuilding. With the average serious trainer trying to get down 6 meals a day or more, why would someone be this concerned about granola?[/quote]

if we all used reason in our lives, what the hell would the world be like?

yea, I assume he was just saying that b/w his 6 meals, he could down a few of these finger-sized bars to conveniently add cals. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Have your tried the Metabolic Drive protein bars? They may be a better choice for a snack, if you are bulking. They have more protein than a granola bar and taste great. I also like the power crunch bars.

[quote]allNatural wrote:
yea, I assume he was just saying that b/w his 6 meals, he could down a few of these finger-sized bars to conveniently add cals. Sounds like a good idea to me.[/quote]

And I think someone who is eating between meals is going to be eating less DURING meals. If someone is eating every 2-3 hours, why would they need to rely on snacks?

If they weren’t eating every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you fix that first? If they COULDN’T eat every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you rely on food with more calories than a 100cal granola bar?

allNatural wrote:
yea, I assume he was just saying that b/w his 6 meals, he could down a few of these finger-sized bars to conveniently add cals. Sounds like a good idea to me.

And I think someone who is eating between meals is going to be eating less DURING meals. If someone is eating every 2-3 hours, why would they need to rely on snacks?

If they weren’t eating every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you fix that first? If they COULDN’T eat every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you rely on food with more calories than a 100cal granola bar? [/quote]

well, I for one find it hard to consume a ton of calories in one meal. So, I’ll eat a “large” meal and sometimes have some fruit or “snack” in between meals to add in extra calories. I don’t see the harm in it.

But, that’s just me, and remember we’re all individuals. Just because you can easily cram in the calories you need for one meal, doesn’t mean that everyone can, though it may sound as simple as that.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:
allNatural wrote:

If they weren’t eating every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you fix that first? If they COULDN’T eat every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you rely on food with more calories than a 100cal granola bar?

well, I for one find it hard to consume a ton of calories in one meal. So, I’ll eat a “large” meal and sometimes have some fruit or “snack” in between meals to add in extra calories. I don’t see the harm in it.

But, that’s just me, and remember we’re all individuals. Just because you can easily cram in the calories you need for one meal, doesn’t mean that everyone can, though it may sound as simple as that.[/quote]

Who said this was easy? How many meals are you eating in a day and how many are “snacks”? What are your snacks?

allNatural wrote:

If they weren’t eating every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you fix that first? If they COULDN’T eat every 2-3 hours, wouldn’t you rely on food with more calories than a 100cal granola bar? [/quote]

Well, you don’t have to eat just one, they are finger sized afterall. But to the OP, carry around a few each day and eat them b/w meals, there’s always a few empty spaces in your stomach b/w meals. Make sure your regular meals are the same size and you’ll be able to pack in more cals.

Pecking on Granola bars sounds like Steveo5801 and his itst bitsy marmite on nice bread with tea in a china cup.

You wanna get big, you have to eat big and think big. That means not eating like a bird, but eating like a pig.

When was the last time some of you went into McDonalds and ordered five cheeseburgers and scoffed them in one go ?

When was the last time you drank 2 litres of milk just because you were a bit thirsty ?

Too much emphasis on what supplements, what macronutrient ratios, what designer diet to follow.

Bulking is like building a wall, you don’t piss about sprinkling little bits of cement and stone, you get big slabs of rock and cement and slap it on and.

FFS !

[quote]allNatural wrote:
Professor X wrote:
allNatural wrote:

Well, you don’t have to eat just one, they are finger sized afterall. But to the OP, carry around a few each day and eat them b/w meals, there’s always a few empty spaces in your stomach b/w meals. Make sure your regular meals are the same size and you’ll be able to pack in more cals.

[/quote]

There should never be ‘empty spaces’ in your belly, if there is you aren’t eating enough. The whole psychology of snacks and snacking is totally pussified. I’m sure what I eat in one meal when bulking would satisy some stickman off this site for a whole frigin month.

Snacks are for normal people who live sedentary lives, who either snack on crap all day and get fat or only eat a mars bar at the last minute to prevent themselves passing out, then die at an early age of some disease linked to poor diet.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
allNatural wrote:
Professor X wrote:
allNatural wrote:

There should never be ‘empty spaces’ in your belly, if there is you aren’t eating enough. The whole psychology of snacks and snacking is totally pussified. I’m sure what I eat in one meal when bulking would satisy some stickman off this site for a whole frigin month.

Snacks are for normal people who live sedentary lives, who either snack on crap all day and get fat or only eat a mars bar at the last minute to prevent themselves passing out, then die at an early age of some disease linked to poor diet.[/quote]

Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. While you surely convinced us all that you’re a hardcore badass eater, what I’M saying is that b/w meals, your stomach cannot possibly be “topped off” ALL the time and you could pack in a few hundred extra cals throughout the day by filling those “empty spaces” with a convenient snack while walking around etc. I don’t see how anyone with any experience bulking could argue with that.

[quote]allNatural wrote:

Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. While you surely convinced us all that you’re a hardcore badass eater, what I’M saying is that b/w meals, your stomach cannot possibly be “topped off” ALL the time and you could pack in a few hundred extra cals throughout the day by filling those “empty spaces” with a convenient snack while walking around etc. I don’t see how anyone with any experience bulking could argue with that.[/quote]

You misunderstand what I said.