Grandmother was Right!

About 6 years ago when i was overweight and my cholesterol was very high…i asked my doctor and my cardiologist and they both referred me to a nutritionist

my dr and cardiologist were anti eggs, anti red meat…any food with fat was bad

the nutritionist helped a little…but i took it upon myself to learn by trial and error and lost the weight on my own

i didnt think you are being argumentative

I learned the most reading Dardens books on losing fat

Food is a powerful “drug”
Bodybuilders were fully engaged in insulin management protocols long before the medical community got on board.

I know it

I was on Girondas steak and egg diet and could not lose a pound, actually gained fat and cholesterol was over 350, lol

tried low carb and keto…nothing

It wasn’t until i went dardens 60/20/20 and calorie deficit to lose weight

Wouldn’t it be more sensible to just see registered dietitians, people who studied nutrition for a minimum of five years? I assume most adults know we exist.

2 Likes

I suppose my next question is whether most health insurance companies cover dietitian fees. And if so, what percent?

1 Like

Only if insurance covers it…mine doesn’t

Yes, some do, though I’m not sure how much they cover. I never got involved in that for the little private counseling I’ve done. That’s a good question and I’ll ask an RD friend of mine next time we talk.

1 Like

I’m a dietitian and yes, they do cover. The amount covered depends on the company, your plan and reason for the visit. Also, if not covered completely, you can pay for services using your HSA or FSA. We’re out here and we definitely are more knowledgeable in the field than any physicians!

@BrickHead - So cool that there are two of us on this forum!!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Go to a country with universal healthcare like Australia and it doesn’t need to be covered privately.

:boom:

EXPLOSION! Mind = BLOWN (for American’s who otherwise need private healthcare for this)

Seriously, I can’t believe how cruel and heartless the healthcare system in America is…

1 Like

I’d see one… but I worry they’d tell me to change my dietary habits in manners that i’m not willing to sustain

For instance, I’m lactose intolerant… but I frequently eat dairy fully knowing I’m going to wind up with GI distress later.

And I assume there is no healthy way for me to consume KFC wicked wings. You get a full days worth of sodium intake with like two wicked wings… I like my KFC around once a month… I’m not willing to give that up. Australian KFC also still has trans fat… YUMMY!

You’ll have to pry my brie cheese from my cold, dead fingers!

My main reason i’d like to see one is to know if I’m eating adequately to facilitate healing and recovery (post surgical recovery). I’m almost sure my diet is trash. Meals timed badly, too much processed food etc.

Nice bunny trail to start.

But its pragmatic value is zero relative to the original post. Thanks for your comment.

A good one will work with you to find a balance that is sustainable. He/she will present the optimal path and then will work with you to figure out what you can and are willing to do and go from there. There should always be a starting point - you don’t need to go from 0 to 60 right out of the gate.

Well… again, we’re going to tell you what you already know and make suggestions to help you make better choices and/or limit these less optimal choices. I would never tell you that you can’t ever have dairy, or KFC ever again, but I would encourage you to choose them less often and give you ideas and alternatives to help make the decreased frequency more manageable.

I will tell you that eating foods that are potentially inflammatory due to intolerance (dairy in your case), and super processed foods, fast foods, trans fats, etc. will hinder the recovery process. You’re not helping yourself here. Also, these less healthy for you foods are displacing nutrient dense foods that will aid the healing process. So, long story short. My assessment with the limited info you’ve presented = no, you are likely not eating adequately to best facilitate recovery.

Sorry to be blunt about it - but that’s likely the reality of the situation here.

1 Like