Grand Theft Auto 4

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I hated GTA4. The story was boring and there wasn’t enough activity outside of missions to make it feel as “open” as San Andreas. I can put in GTASA right now and spend the next few days just screwing around the city and feel completely satisfied without doing any missions at all. GTA4 didn’t feel the same.

Saint’s Row captured what GTA should have been only with weaker graphics…even though they even allowed you to customize how your “avatar” looked even down to eye color and shape. Unfortunately, when you pick “bodybuilder” for body type, that apparently means “normal looking”.

I actually sold my copy of GTA4 back to Gamestop because it was just that boring to me.[/quote]

Haha, I was disappointed by the ‘bodybuilder’ shape too. I’m sitting there thinking, “dude needs quads”
Seriously, other than the bad bodybuilder and extremely average graphics the game was phenomenal. Great story. I loved how you could choose your character’s accent and all. Awesome idea.

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:
GTA: Vice City was great, GTA 4 was also great,

GTA: San Andreas storyline sucked, the main character was a common thug gangsta rappa, why not just call it Saints Row Redux instead. [/quote]

I agree

The storyline was a tad boring in San andreas that most of the time i was just flying around in my jet shooting down shit and driving around the streets.

[quote]SSC wrote:
hardgnr wrote:
SSC wrote:
I thought GTAIV was great, but ever since I played FarCry 2 nothing can even hold a flame in terms of adventuring and action.

I’ll say it one last damn time on these boards… PICK UP FARCRY 2! So underrated - and it’s probably cheap, too!

Really? I played it for a couple of hours, and found it rather boring. Its alright, but its no game of the year. I might try finish it off and see if it gets any better.

You’re definitely not the person I’ve heard that from. I don’t know, I just like the crazy vast-openness of it. There’s nothing cooler than walking around fuckin’ Africa.

Or seeing an enemy mercenary accidentally hit a Zebra, get out of his car to check on it, then seeing him get back in his car just as I blast a rocket at him, only to have the flame from the rocket launcher set the brush in back of me on fire, setting a fierce and blazing wildfire across my enemy’s tiny village.

It’s the little things like that that keep me coming back for more. :)[/quote]

Lol, starting up wildfires in Far Cry 2 definitely makes it worth it.

[quote]King of Kings wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I hated GTA4. The story was boring and there wasn’t enough activity outside of missions to make it feel as “open” as San Andreas. I can put in GTASA right now and spend the next few days just screwing around the city and feel completely satisfied without doing any missions at all. GTA4 didn’t feel the same.

Saint’s Row captured what GTA should have been only with weaker graphics…even though they even allowed you to customize how your “avatar” looked even down to eye color and shape. Unfortunately, when you pick “bodybuilder” for body type, that apparently means “normal looking”.

I actually sold my copy of GTA4 back to Gamestop because it was just that boring to me.

Big Call Prof. Hated is a strong word.

I can understand u relating to the guy in GTASA as your new avatar pretty much is the guy in GTASA when he is jacked up. I Think its one of the greatest games ever made but i cant relate to the character as well as u. Ive never even seen a gang let alone grown up on the mean streets such as yourself.
[/quote]

Man, I’m a white kid from the Canadian suburbs. Where you grew up doesn’t exactly mean much. GTASA’s main character owned Niko, it has nothing to do with how well you can relate to him. It was just better thought out. I liked Niko, but Carl (I think) was just so much better thought out. That’s all.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Saints Row 2 owned GTA4 in every way except graphics. Saints Row 2 is what GTA4 SHOULD have been.

San Andreas was the best GTA made to date and there is nothing that can change my mind. The game was almost limitless, there were TONS of things you can do with a wicked ass story. GTA4 is linear as shit and a lot of the things they put it were useless and boring. Things like bowling, or watching TV while playing a video game? What the hell?
Turf wars in SA were awesome, getting jacked, fat or anything else was also awesome.

That being said, I LOVED GTA4, but it wasn’t what it could have been. I had way more fun playing Saints Row 2.[/quote]

Cannot agree with u mate.

I hired Saints row 2 from the store.I played it for 30 minutes and was wishing i could take it back and get my $5.95 refund. It just seemed like a “try hard” version of GTA.

This was the fisrst game i hired a purchasing my ps3.I was so exited that i finally got my ps3.Put saints row in the machine and was thinking if it was a wise decision to get my ps3 it was that bad.

GTASA was far better than GTA4, in my opinion.

The amount of detail the programmers put in to the game was just amazing. You’d be wandering through an out of the way screen, find something cool to do and actually feel genuine appreciation that the programmers would leave something FUN there for you. I derived just as much enjoyment wandering around aimlessly and slaughtering prostitutes than I did through any of the missions.

I’m really partial to Vice City though. I was OBSESSED with the movie Scarface growing up, long before references to it started popping up in every other rap song. I watched it for the first time at an inappropriately young age…probably 10 or something, and although I didn’t understand much of what was going on (“Yeyo?” Is that like Fun-Dip??) I knew I liked it. Vice City took many of the great things from Scarface, mixed in a bunch of other 80’s stuff, and gave it the best soundtrack in GTA history.

I haven’t played 4 yet, but Vice City is awesome, even better than San Andreas overall. San Andreas was huge, sweet flying options, the appearance stuff was cool, but Vice City’s music and 80s/Scarface vibe was unbeatable. And it felt a little tougher, San Andreas was even easier than the previous two.

San Andreas is the best console game ever conceived.

Fun Fact: I have only ever gotten one nosebleed in my life, and it was while playing San Andreas. YES IS IT THAT EXCITING.

They soaked all the fun out of the series when they added realism.

-Sab

San Andreas is hands down the best of the GTA’s, and close second was Vice City. I was hoping that they would continue and somehow bring both worlds from the game in GTA4, but unfortunately they went a different direction. I figured you would have the option of going to San Andreas cities, Vice city and Liberty City, but instead they just did a russian re-do of GTA3. Yes the graphics were cool and everything, but I just didn’t really get into it enough. SA on the other hand, I’ve had that game since it came out and I could still play it. The game had it all, the gangs, the family story,the crazy ass adventures, the dirty cops played by Samuel L. Jackson and Chris Penn which made the game even better, Cesers character was hilarious (does the pope shit in the woods? Why do you keep asking me that homes, I keep telling you i don’t know) his crazy bitch cousin, the government agent and the paranoid hippy. I hope that if they decide to do a GTA5, they go back to how they did it before, and maybe bring back more of the old characters. Tommy would be a fun character to play again.

I can’t believe Rockstar hasn’t given us more San Andreas material.
Seriously, how well did the game do? It sold like crack cocaine on Skid Row.

The atmosphere of that game was amazing. And the setting and the way they managed to create a California feeling couldn’t have been done better. And lifting weights in a game was badass.
I’m waiting quite unpatiently for more.

The bank robbing mission in GTA4 reminded me of the movie Heat. That mission was so fucking awesome.

I have to say that Vice City was the one I felt Rockstar really nailed. The 80’s era along with the scarface influences just made it so damn cool, and while its not as big as the other installments it felt much more cohesive. And for once the money you earned was actually worth something.

The soundtrack also kicked ass!

Thought San Andreas was okay but the ‘gangsta style’ never appealed to me personally. A lot of the extras seemed pointless and tacked on, the train riding being one. Although the harrior was great fun.
And I despised CJ, he acted like a complete moron. He didn’t come close to Tommy.

GTA 4 was a great game with by far the best storyline. Niko was a much more complex character, and I liked the whole ‘tortured soul’ aspect that set him apart from the other protagonists. But once the storyline concluded, it just didn’t have the immense replayability that the others had. And where was the tank?

I loved San Andreas. Reasons:

1. Auto-target. A real blessing on the PS2. Aiming was hell before that.
  2. Incredible soundtrack across a variety of styles. I could just sit in a car in SA and listen to the radio stations.
  3. COOL add-ons. e.g. working out, pimping your mobile, that was all fun to me. Loved the nitrous, hydraulics.

Why I disliked GTA4:

1. Shitty soundtrack. Seriously, just terrible.
  2. Cool add-ons from SA were gone. Along with bikes and airplanes.
  3. Lame add-ons were added instead. Whoever thought it’d be a good idea to add a relationship aspect to this? I want to play GTA4, not the motherfucking sims. LAME.

It was an OK game, but no GTA SA. 7-8/10.

It was definitely no fallout 3, either.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I actually sold my copy of GTA4 back to Gamestop because it was just that boring to me.[/quote]

Agreed. It never grew on me.
If you guys are interested in some good games though I’d check out Fable the original. Very good you can do so much and I could compare it to san andreas. Silkroad Online is also the best damn game I’ve ever played.