Grand Rapids Meet Results

Things went fairly well at my second PL meet in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Bill Beckwith Memorial is an ADFPF event, same as the Spring meet I did. Saw many familiar faces from the Spring event, as well as a bunch of new faces, including five women. The Spring event had only two ladies lifting.

There were 40-45 lifters, and I was in the second flight for every lift, lifting at 100kg again. I weighed in at 93.5kg, about 206lb. There were 4 liftiers from Allegan this time around. 2 juniors, an M1, and me an M2.

Squat opener was 150kg, 330.5lbs, 15lbs heavier than my first meet. No problem. I posted a video of the second attempt at 160kg, 352.5lbs, which was my third attempt last Spring. Heavy, but went up just fine.

I don’t want to leave anything out there, but I don’t want to miss a squat, so I chose to go after 165kg on the thrid attempt, 364lbs. Good lift. 370 was probably there, but I’m happy with that lift, 12 lbs better than the Spring.

Bench opener was a bit higher than my first meet 102.5kg, 226lb. Second attempt was 107.5kg, 236lbs, that’s about 5lbs less than last meet. Not sure why I did that, just not a lot of confidence in my bench.

Good lift. Third attempt was 115kg, 253.5lbs, and I missed it because of a mental error. I got the lift, but I started the press a split second before I got the press command. Stupid mistake, I really need to get better at benching.

After shaking off the mental mistake, I was ready for the deadlift. My opener was 160kg 352.5lb, 22lb better than Spring opener, easy. Second attempt was my third lift at the first meet, 175kg, 386lb.

Good lift. I felt like I had at least 15-20 left in me, so, I’m feeling like a new PR in DL, 185 kg, 407lb. Good lift, didn’t leave much out there on that lift, and got a new PR.

As in the Spring, I had a great time. Finished first in my division. I honestly don’t know how many others there were in my division. All in all though a good meet for me, 8 for 9 good lifts with a 457.5kg total, a little over 1000lb, about 25-30lbs better than my first meet.

There’s a lot of room for improvement, and I’m looking forward to doing more meets, but I think I’ll lay off meet training for a while and start doing some more stone carrying, and work on my bench.

BTW one of the juniors from Allegan, got a state record in deadlift with a 396.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/d/d/dded3-BBMPM_001.gif

Squat attempt

Another squat pic

Benching

Getting ready for another bench attempt.

Deadlift attempt, looks heavy, must be the 407 attempt. :slight_smile:

Solid!! Good work DZ! I bet you are Damn proud! Hells bells man, this eastern NC redneck is extra damn proud of you.

[quote]j_willy3 wrote:
Solid!! Good work DZ! I bet you are Damn proud! Hells bells man, this eastern NC redneck is extra damn proud of you.[/quote]

Thanks Willy! I’m real happy with a PR at a meet. It’s been a while since I had a PR in anything.

Way to work it up DZ! Great Meet!

nice job + god lifts, good luck in your next meet

[quote]daddyzombie wrote:
j_willy3 wrote:
Solid!! Good work DZ! I bet you are Damn proud! Hells bells man, this eastern NC redneck is extra damn proud of you.

Thanks Willy! I’m real happy with a PR at a meet. It’s been a while since I had a PR in anything.

[/quote]

I’m proud for you to to PR in a meet.

Great stuff. Congrats on the improvement and PR’s!

Way to step it up DZ. Has your daughter there to see you do it. Great job and you sure do deserve it. Stay strong the game has just begun.

Great job DZ! Set a goal, work toward it, adjust when necessary, and reach your goal. Your committment and attitude is an inspiration.

Thanks for the update on the meet. This really helps those of us new to the PL world.

mday

Pumped for you. Great meet DZ. How did the guys you went with do?

Great job, DZ. Thanks for the pics and walking us through your meet. Sounds like a good time. Glad to see how all your hard work paid off.

Awesome job DZ! Great pics and a nice writeup too! Very nice margin of improvement for certain!

Cappy

Good job, DZ. Intelligently approached and well-executed. Congratulations.

Another great meet and results. Pr, too. Next meet you’ll be the old pro.

Nice work DZ!