Grams of Protein at One Time?

I just have a basic question, and although I’ve been manipulating my diet and watching my macros I’m not sure what the answer is. Right now I’m cutting and Im trying to get 1.5g protein per g of bodyweight. For me that would be 300g at 200 pounds. Right now I currently eat depending on the day 4 meals of 50 grams of protein or 5 meals at 45-50 grams of protein. Most these meals are usually 8-9oz of chicken breast. So at best Ill get 250 grams of protein.

I’ve always heard different answers regarding how much protein you can digest at once. I’ve been told that if you consume more than 40grams of protein at once, the rest goes to waste. Whats the truth in this? Or is this BS? I have no problem upping my protein per meal, stomaching it is not the issue, I just don’t want to be wasting my food as a broke college kid. And if it is true that your body can only handle 40 at once, in how much time can you have another meal of 40grams without it being wasted? An hour?

Haha sorry for the long post, just never really found a good answer for this.

BS

[quote]Dustinsk wrote:
I just have a basic question, and although I’ve been manipulating my diet and watching my macros I’m not sure what the answer is. Right now I’m cutting and Im trying to get 1.5g protein per g of bodyweight. For me that would be 300g at 200 pounds.
[/quote]

Opinions vary, but in mine that’s far more protein than you likely need. Somewhere between 1g/lb of LBM and 1g/lb of total BM is adequate.

You’re assigning ~5g protein per ounce of chicken breast. I think that’s too low. Different sources will provide differing estimates, but most will be in the 7-8g/oz range.(I personally use 9g/oz.) So if you’re eating 8-9 oz of chicken breast 5x/d, you’re getting a lot more than 250g/d of protein.

This myth has been around a long time. (When I was young, the ‘rule’ was 25g of protein every 3-4 hours.) Put simply, it’s not true. Your body will digest the protein adequately no matter how you aliquot it.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
BS[/quote]

I guess I’ll be upping my meals to 12 oz of chicken then. Thanks

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Dustinsk wrote:
I just have a basic question, and although I’ve been manipulating my diet and watching my macros I’m not sure what the answer is. Right now I’m cutting and Im trying to get 1.5g protein per g of bodyweight. For me that would be 300g at 200 pounds.
[\quote]

Opinions vary, but in mine that’s far more protein than you likely need. Somewhere between 1g/lb of LBM and 1g/lb of total BM is adequate.

[quote]
Right now I currently eat depending on the day 4 meals of 50 grams of protein or 5 meals at 45-50 grams of protein. Most these meals are usually 8-9oz of chicken breast. So at best Ill get 250 grams of protein.
[\quote]

You’re assigning ~5g protein per ounce of chicken breast. I think that’s too low. Different sources will provide differing estimates, but most will be in the 7-8g/oz range.(I personally use 9g/oz.) So if you’re eating 8-9 oz of chicken breast 5x/d, you’re getting a lot more than 250g/d of protein.

[quote]
I’ve always heard different answers regarding how much protein you can digest at once. I’ve been told that if you consume more than 40grams of protein at once, the rest goes to waste. Whats the truth in this?
[\quote]

This myth has been around a long time. (When I was young, the ‘rule’ was 25g of protein every 3-4 hours.) Put simply, it’s not true. Your body will digest the protein adequately no matter how you aliquot it.[/quote]

Sweet, thank you!

Oh and FYI I’ve also heard the 25! Lol I just never knew. Thanks again

And ps. When I’m cutting I always calculate my protein macros very conservatively haha when I eat 8 eggs I usually just say that’s about 32 grams of protein although 8 large eggs is much more! Just something I do haha

If the human body could only digest and use 25g of protein at one feeding, we would have not evolved as a species.

[quote]pcdude wrote:
If the human body could only digest and use 25g of protein at one feeding, we would have not evolved as a species.[/quote]

Indeed, well said. Some meals i might onlye have 20 grams, other meals i may get 80 grams of protein. It doesnt matter as long as you are getting enough throughout the whole day.