Grad School or Job

So this is slightly off the topic of the OP’s question. But how do student loans and repayments work in the US?

In the UK, it’s basically like having an extra tax until it’s paid off. It’s changed now, but I’m part of the old scheme were you don’t pay anything until you are earning something like £17k, then it’s 12.5% of your salary after that. The new scheme has higher loans, but slower repayments, most people won’t ever pay off their loan completely, but after 20 years it’s wiped. So it’s a decent chuck of your salary gone, however you don’t pay anything unless you are earning a decent salary, so if you are pursuing a solid degree and you would be earning more than without it there’s not really much of a down side.

I’m not in Chemistry, I recently finished a masters in maths, and now I’m doing a PhD. It’s much the same though with regards that doing anything in the field requires further study, everyone who didn’t do further study is just doing general office jobs. In terms of experience, if you are actually wanting a research job then the relevant experience is doing research projects, which I’m assuming you have done in your undergrad and will do another in postgrad? It’s certainly the case with me that for the PhD application the important thing was my master’s project, and when I finish my PhD and apply for postdocs the relevant experience is what I was researching for my thesis.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Get a job and go to Grad school at the same time (if possible) or later.

In my experience you need applicable experience if you want to be anywhere other than bottom of the totem pole. Key word is applicable.

No one gave a shit about my prior experience because it was not related to my degree (accounting). [/quote]

I agree with this.

Depending on how good you are, your current qualifications, and the company you’re with, you may even be able to get a job, get the work experience, and get tuition assistance for grad school.

Bottom line is that you need to be very good at your job regardless.

Some employers look at advanced degrees as a plus, some look at them as a prerequisite, and others look down on them – at least if they’re earned without relevant job experience.

One of the biggest problems with recent grads in general is that they think they know everything. And sure, there are things that they know how to do much better than what’s currently happening. However, while they might be technically correct, they don’t have the experience to know how to apply that knowledge to real life situations, because real life is dirty, messy, and not very predictable.

So, if regular grads have a know-it-all attitude already… those with advanced degrees are often more so that way. And that’s a bias that can work against you, even if it might not apply to you specifically.

We’ve turned down many PhDs from great schools because they simply don’t know how to take their knowledge and do anything with it, and yet retain a smugness that they know better.

But once you have the job, once you’re building the experience, pursuing an advanced degree is looked very highly on.[/quote]

It doesn’t take long for the smugness to be wiped away from a new grad, the professional world is a humbling place

So you turned down candidates with doctorate degrees cause “they know everything”? And you know they were all like this? Stereotype much?

The truth is they were over qualified for the position and you didn’t need a doctorate for the position

There are plenty* of job opportunities for people with graduate degrees and GASP ZERO EXPERIENCE, usually highly technical and large companies.

Unless you want to be a professor or do research, forget grad school. Vote is job.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
So this is slightly off the topic of the OP’s question. But how do student loans and repayments work in the US?
[/quote]
Once you are no longer a full time student, you have a grace period of a few months before your loan payments begin. After that the loan company sends you monthly a bill with a minimum payment required. The minimum payment is based on how much you owe and your interest rate.

If it doesn’t actually work that way, then I should have read my loan agreements more carefully.

I was in this exact predicament this past spring. I graduated with a biology degree and ended up taking a year to work (at a company I already worked part time at throughout the year). I ended up realizing how much I missed learning and research. My end goal is to be a professor at the collegiate level which requires me to pretty much receive I higher degree than my B.S.

So for me it worked out because I now saved up some money and rekindled my love for learning. Also look into research positions or teacher’s assistant positions when applying to grad school. Most schools will fully fund your education if you do research with them.

If you want some more specifics just let me know. I would love to help.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
[/quote]
Once you are no longer a full time student, you have a grace period of a few months before your loan payments begin. After that the loan company sends you monthly a bill with a minimum payment required. The minimum payment is based on how much you owe and your interest rate.

If it doesn’t actually work that way, then I should have read my loan agreements more carefully. [/quote]

Depending on who you are with there is a grace period. I graduated in May and I just started paying my loan this month.You can also get your payment pushed back if you tell them you are planning on going to grad school.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
[/quote]
Did your avi evolve?[/quote]

Like a Pokemon??

(My traps have definitely gotten bigger this year and I’ve trimmed up a bitâ?¦)

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Some employers look at advanced degrees as a plus, some look at them as a prerequisite, and others look down on them – at least if they’re earned without relevant job experience.

[/quote]

This is a great point. What is the industry OP? Do most employers expect you to have a grad degree?

I definitely agree that some employers will look down on applicants that have nothing except school on their resume. I understand where they are coming from; although, I can’t say I completely agree. School and work are two completely different animals though.

Edit: Saw you are a chemistry major. Not my area (Thank God people like you do it cause I don’t get it), have you looked into getting a scholarships or grants.

For what it’s worth, you could join the military, they will pay for grad school…(Just a thought)

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

In my experience you need applicable experience if you want to be anywhere other than bottom of the totem pole. Key word is applicable.

No one gave a shit about my prior experience because it was not related to my degree (accounting). [/quote]

I agree with this.

Depending on how good you are, your current qualifications, and the company you’re with, you may even be able to get a job, get the work experience, and get tuition assistance for grad school.

One of the biggest problems with recent grads in general is that they think they know everything. And sure, there are things that they know how to do much better than what’s currently happening. However, while they might be technically correct, they don’t have the experience to know how to apply that knowledge to real life situations, because real life is dirty, messy, and not very predictable.

So, if regular grads have a know-it-all attitude already… those with advanced degrees are often more so that way. And that’s a bias that can work against you, even if it might not apply to you specifically.

We’ve turned down many PhDs from great schools because they simply don’t know how to take their knowledge and do anything with it, and yet retain a smugness that they know better.

But once you have the job, once you’re building the experience, pursuing an advanced degree is looked very highly on.[/quote]

Well there are some very smug entitled dumbasses working on or having PhD’s, but not everyone with a grad degree is that way.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

Well there are some very smug entitled dumbasses working on or having PhD’s, but not everyone with a grad degree is that way.

[/quote]

Agree.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I agree with this.

I’m a chemistry major, and I’m reminded every day of how little I actually know about the subject. My main predicament between grad school and getting a job is that chemistry is such an extensive and broad field that it’s impossible not to be at the bottom without an advanced degree.

I’ve been working on a research project with my advisor and he has mentioned more that once I should go to grad school. Hence, the thread. I’m just unsure of which path to take. [/quote]
Only way to look at this due to this degree is forecast your job opportunities.

If you are going to start out at the bottom no matter what but have higher earning potential with Masters or PHD, then grad school.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I agree with this.

I’m a chemistry major, and I’m reminded every day of how little I actually know about the subject. My main predicament between grad school and getting a job is that chemistry is such an extensive and broad field that it’s impossible not to be at the bottom without an advanced degree.

I’ve been working on a research project with my advisor and he has mentioned more that once I should go to grad school. Hence, the thread. I’m just unsure of which path to take. [/quote]

If you are going to start out at the bottom no matter what but have higher earning potential with Masters or PHD, then grad school. [/quote]

Yup, and having employees with advanced degrees appears much more professional in some fields.

People forget or selectively remember how important it is to look good on paper. Not that looking good on paper is any substitute for busting your ass and getting shit done in a timely and professional manner.

Personally, I’ll take it all, multiple degrees, piles of certifications, and working hard.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I agree with this.

If you are going to start out at the bottom no matter what but have higher earning potential with Masters or PHD, then grad school. [/quote]

Yup, and having employees with advanced degrees appears much more professional in some fields.

People forget or selectively remember how important it is to look good on paper. Not that looking good on paper is any substitute for busting your ass and getting shit done in a timely and professional manner.

Personally, I’ll take it all, multiple degrees, piles of certifications, and working hard.
[/quote]
I cant hire a Registered Nurse to run a job site, it has to be a Nurse Practitioner which requires a Master degree.

I dont work in the field of research or academic world, however I can assume that there are “slotted” positions.

Which slot do you want to be in OP?

IMO You went into a hard science (chem, phys, math) and the best bet is to go to grad school. From their you can choose either academia or industry. Sadly the masters won’t be much more helpful and a PhD may be necessary. Be sure to find a school that has a fast track program that bumps up promising masters students into PhD work.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I agree with this.

[/quote]
I cant hire a Registered Nurse to run a job site, it has to be a Nurse Practitioner which requires a Master degree.

I dont work in the field of research or academic world, however I can assume that there are “slotted” positions.

Which slot do you want to be in OP? [/quote]

Agree.

Furthermore, the consulting world loves PhD’s. Why it adds more veracity to their stance especially when testifying in court.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
[/quote]

If it doesn’t actually work that way, then I should have read my loan agreements more carefully. [/quote]

Wow, that sucks! So if you don’t get a job in the first few months you are pretty screwed. And to think Brits complain about student loans, you guys have it much worse.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
[/quote]

Wow, that sucks! So if you don’t get a job in the first few months you are pretty screwed. And to think Brits complain about student loans, you guys have it much worse.[/quote]

It’s 6 months which is fair.

The student loan system is one of reasons behind the skyrocketing costs of education in American. Which universities spend on football coaches and ridiculous infrastructure.

A lot of great advice in here. My personal opinion (based on my own experience) is if work will pay for it, absolutely do both at the same time. If work won’t cover it, but you know you will need/really want to go to grad school at some point, also do both at the same time. In my experience, people who put off grad school ended up never going back or when they eventually did, didn’t do so well since they had been out for so long.

YMMV, but the above is how I decided to do both at the same time. And now, I only have 3/4 of a year left until I have two masters degrees and 3 years work experience! :slight_smile:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

That’s a good attitude to have.

What I suggest is that you find someone who’s already working the job you want (or at least doing the kind of work that you want), and ask them directly. If you want to be a [insert profession], it helps to talk to [insert profession]s.

If you want to stay in academia, getting advice from your advisor is a good idea. If that’s not your long term plan, find someone who’s already done it, and ask what they suggest.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
It doesn’t take long for the smugness to be wiped away from a new grad, the professional world is a humbling place

So you turned down candidates with doctorate degrees cause “they know everything”? And you know they were all like this? Stereotype much?

The truth is they were over qualified for the position and you didn’t need a doctorate for the position

There are plenty* of job opportunities for people with graduate degrees and GASP ZERO EXPERIENCE, usually highly technical and large companies.
[/quote]

It’s funny the things people pick up on.

No, we turned down candidates with doctorate degrees because they couldn’t do basic problem solving.