Grackles: Minion Birds From Hell

we’re pretty rural and the hawks/crows must keep them away. but closer to town thousands flock. creepy scenes at dawn and dusk at the SA Airport parking garages.

[quote]urbanski wrote:
we’re pretty rural and the hawks/crows must keep them away. but closer to town thousands flock. creepy scenes at dawn and dusk at the SA Airport parking garages. [/quote]

Similar to this?

I’ve seen similar huge flocks downtown Killeen.

[quote]steve.rt wrote:
NycMan wrote:
What are they? I’ve never even heard of Grackles.
Was trying to find something on You-Tube, with no success.

Here’s a pic of one. It has the look of a black bird but with a very distinguishing iridescent head.

Not that I’m into birds or anything[/quote]

Thanks.
I hate to be the first one to say this, but I like the way it looks. Beautiful feathers.

[quote]NycMan wrote:
steve.rt wrote:
NycMan wrote:
What are they? I’ve never even heard of Grackles.
Was trying to find something on You-Tube, with no success.

Here’s a pic of one. It has the look of a black bird but with a very distinguishing iridescent head.

Not that I’m into birds or anything

Thanks.
I hate to be the first one to say this, but I like the way it looks. Beautiful feathers.
[/quote]

They are loud, screechy, fly in massive psychic flocks, shit all over everything, and look like black leaves on a winter tree. They are fucking creepy.

The psychic flocks throw me the most. Anyone know how that works?

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
urbanski wrote:
we’re pretty rural and the hawks/crows must keep them away. but closer to town thousands flock. creepy scenes at dawn and dusk at the SA Airport parking garages.

Similar to this?

I’ve seen similar huge flocks downtown Killeen.
[/quote]

yep, that’s even a pretty small flock. they’re more dense ususally. i think its cool, wife scared as hell.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

Fort Worth actually has hired hawk handlers to get rid of grackles downtown. I’ve seen video of them in action online…trying to find link. Now if these birds are protected by federal law,how is this allowed?? [/quote]

because the hawks mostly drive them away, instead of killing them?
that, and laws are for suckas…

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

Fort Worth actually has hired hawk handlers to get rid of grackles downtown. I’ve seen video of them in action online…trying to find link. Now if these birds are protected by federal law,how is this allowed??

because the hawks mostly drive them away, instead of killing them?
that, and laws are for suckas…[/quote]

Could be. Probably more so because in a way its still “nature at work” since the hawks actually eat them.

Here’s the video of hawk catching/eating two grackles in Ft.Worth:
http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=7196@ktvt.dayport.com&cid=33

I think its too many grackles for one hawk(or even two) to make a dent…unless the sight of a dead grackle scares of the rest. Those damn grackles are stubborn as hell.

Is there some kind of realistic hawk decoy you could purchase or steal?

Either that or start pelting them with doorknobs

Get a plastic owl?

Those decoy owls scare away crows and seagulls, I don’t see why not gackles.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
Get a plastic owl?

Those decoy owls scare away crows and seagulls, I don’t see why not gackles.[/quote]

These damn birds are smart as fuck…I will try the decoys,but I don’t expect it to fool them for long.

Its funny going to Wal-Mart and seeing grackles perched atop the numerous decoys they have “strategically” placed around the property.