T Nation

Grackles: Minion Birds From Hell


“HOW YOU DOING?”

Where in the hell did these damn birds come from??? 4-5 years ago,I had never seen these damn birds before…now they are EVERYWHERE come this time of year and through the summer…at least in TX.

These birds are the most annoying big,shiny purplish-black disease carrying vermits. They have the most God awful screeches…noises that range from the sound of someone’s soul being taken…to bad impressions of firetrucks and machine guns…and LOUD.

A sample of their “beautiful music”
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/Great-tailed_Grackle.html

Imagine 15-20 birds doing that as early as 3-4am outside your bedroom window. They are protected by Federal Migratory bird law or some shit…which has made me conjure the notion that these damn birds are little CIA operatives used to test the limits of human sanity.

So for now,all I can do about it is vent about it. Well,at least until I come across a “non-violent” solution to rid my property of these real life Heckle & Jeckles.

.

My parents enjoy birds quite a bit, so they have plenty of birdfeeders around their house. There are grackels everywhere all damn year. Annoying fucking birds, especially in the morning.

[quote]SSC wrote:
My parents enjoy birds quite a bit, so they have plenty of birdfeeders around their house. There are grackels everywhere all damn year. Annoying fucking birds, especially in the morning.[/quote]

From researching…I noticed that most bird people admire their looks but can’t get over the fact that they run all the other song birds away.

I think last year(or year before) in Austin…like 50 of these fuckers just dropped dead on Congress Ave…they still don’t know why. Somebody knows…and I need to talk to them…lol.

I hate Grackles. We had them all over in Norman when I was in school at Oklahoma. FREAKY nasty shit-filled things.

Are they REALLY protected by law? Ridiculous. If you took a shotgun to the Wal-Mart parking lot I bet you could bag a few hundred of the suckers in very little time flat.

I purposely avoid walking under trees because they’re so rampant. Usually more damn grackles than leaves on any variety of Dallas flora.

Most days when I levae the gym they are in the parking lot. Usually eating the garbage that some idiot threw out of his car. Hate them and Gulls

one of these and a shovel = less grackels.
the pictured model is made by GAMO one in their “whisper” line of air rifles.

or - http://www.alanwood.net/pesticides/class_avicides.html

a friend of a friend had a raccoon problem.
she had cats and the raccoons were attracted by the catfood outside.
she kept the cats inside for a few days and mixed up a batch of catfood w/valium.
dead raccoons everywhere, neighbors called the authorities.
never could prove who did it though…

and btw, laws are for suckas!
j/k (maybe)

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
SSC wrote:
My parents enjoy birds quite a bit, so they have plenty of birdfeeders around their house. There are grackels everywhere all damn year. Annoying fucking birds, especially in the morning.

From researching…I noticed that most bird people admire their looks but can’t get over the fact that they run all the other song birds away.[/quote]

Without a doubt. I don’t know what it was, but every other bird hated the fuck out of grackles. We’d have cardinals, robins, all sorts of crazy birds all eating together, but when the big, black bird comes around… He’s the lone ranger in town.

I like them. I don’t remember them ever not being around, though. As far as I know, we’ve always had them.

Alka Seltzer FTW!

[quote]SSC wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
SSC wrote:
My parents enjoy birds quite a bit, so they have plenty of birdfeeders around their house. There are grackels everywhere all damn year. Annoying fucking birds, especially in the morning.

From researching…I noticed that most bird people admire their looks but can’t get over the fact that they run all the other song birds away.

Without a doubt. I don’t know what it was, but every other bird hated the fuck out of grackles. We’d have cardinals, robins, all sorts of crazy birds all eating together, but when the big, black bird comes around… He’s the lone ranger in town.[/quote]

I used to have a problem with grackles. They will chase away all the song birds and drain a feeder in one day. After one stop to the local bird store (cause I’m a real tough guy) I had my solution. Safflower seed, they don’t care for it. Squirrels don’t care for it either(bonus).

The cost is the same as any other seed. But you have to gradually have to add it in your feeder(s) gradually http://www.wbu.com/education/safflowersolution.html

Here’s a pic of my feeder set-up with safflower, thistle sock, oranges and grape jelly.


Then there’s the time a Red tailed hawk came to the feeder. That monster can come and go as he sees fit.

[quote]steve.rt wrote:
SSC wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
SSC wrote:
My parents enjoy birds quite a bit, so they have plenty of birdfeeders around their house. There are grackels everywhere all damn year. Annoying fucking birds, especially in the morning.

From researching…I noticed that most bird people admire their looks but can’t get over the fact that they run all the other song birds away.

Without a doubt. I don’t know what it was, but every other bird hated the fuck out of grackles. We’d have cardinals, robins, all sorts of crazy birds all eating together, but when the big, black bird comes around… He’s the lone ranger in town.

I used to have a problem with grackles. They will chase away all the song birds and drain a feeder in one day. After one stop to the local bird store (cause I’m a real tough guy) I had my solution. Safflower seed, they don’t care for it. Squirrels don’t care for it either(bonus).

The cost is the same as any other seed. But you have to gradually have to add it in your feeder(s) gradually http://www.wbu.com/education/safflowersolution.html

Here’s a pic of my feeder set-up with safflower, thistle sock, oranges and grape jelly. [/quote]

Interesting. I’ll definitely ask my parents what kind of seed they’re using and recommend this to them. I know the grackle problem has gone down as of late, but I know there’s always pesky squirrels around, so it’s funny you should mention that. Thanks for the tip!

What are they? I’ve never even heard of Grackles.
Was trying to find something on You-Tube, with no success.

[quote]NycMan wrote:
What are they? I’ve never even heard of Grackles.
Was trying to find something on You-Tube, with no success.[/quote]

Here’s a pic of one. It has the look of a black bird but with a very distinguishing iridescent head.

Not that I’m into birds or anything

[quote]steve.rt wrote:
Then there’s the time a Red tailed hawk came to the feeder. That monster can come and go as he sees fit.[/quote]

Hawks will keep the grackles away too. Every so often we have battles in my backyard between the crows (btw, far worse than grackles) and a hawk. I’ve watched a hawk take down a crow, peck the hell out of it, fend off the other dive-bombing crows, then fly away with the dead crow. Crazy.

DB

i got woken up by crows this morning.

i also got woken up by my moms alarm clock, she sets it to go off at like 5 but sleeps through it til like 6…why?

then i got woken up by my dog barking.

geez. O_O

[quote]steve.rt wrote:
Then there’s the time a Red tailed hawk came to the feeder. That monster can come and go as he sees fit.[/quote]

We used to have frequent visits from hawks in the neighboorhood…they need to come back. I want to wake every morning and see this out my window:

Fort Worth actually has hired hawk handlers to get rid of grackles downtown. I’ve seen video of them in action online…trying to find link. Now if these birds are protected by federal law,how is this allowed??

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
one of these and a shovel = less grackels.
the pictured model is made by GAMO one in their “whisper” line of air rifles.

or - http://www.alanwood.net/pesticides/class_avicides.html

a friend of a friend had a raccoon problem.
she had cats and the raccoons were attracted by the catfood outside.
she kept the cats inside for a few days and mixed up a batch of catfood w/valium.
dead raccoons everywhere, neighbors called the authorities.
never could prove who did it though…

and btw, laws are for suckas!
j/k (maybe)[/quote]

One of the old guys in my neighberhood has the same solution.Mixes some kind of chemical with coke and puts it out in his backyard.Last summer his count was 75 squirrels,3 groundhogs and to many birds to count.They never get farther than 10 feet then drop dead.He said it didn’t even make a dent in squirrel population.Little fuckers are everywhere.