GPP

This enigmatic subject just doesn’t get enough discussion, in my opinion. I think there’s quite a bit of confusion over how to use it, what to use it for, and what parameters work best. I for one feel as though I still have much to learn.

For example, I’ve just begun using DB swings on my off/recovery/cardio days, and have already declared them a permanent fixture of my training. However, I fear that using them too often will diminish their efectiveness.

Is there a good way to rotate the parameters so that they continue to benefit me, or is this not anything I should be concerned with?

Other general GPP questions for anyone to answer:

How intense should GPP be? Do you work yourself as hard as you do with your strenght training, viewing it as simply an extension of strength training, or do you go light so that it’s more of a recovery technique?

Should GPP only be performed on off days, or does it make for a good “finisher” to a workout?

Should GPP be rotated just as often as strength training?

Should GPP be specific to the lifts you are currently improving, or is it simply a way to improve work capacity?

What are some of your favorite GPP methods, including some you’ve made up out of necessity, or just for creativity’s sake? Like I posted above, I already can’t get enough of these DB swings.

I’m sure I’ll come up with more questions, but in the meantime, I hope someone throws a few ideas or comments my way.

Thank you.

[quote]leon79 wrote:
How intense should GPP be? Do you work yourself as hard as you do with your strenght training, viewing it as simply an extension of strength training, or do you go light so that it’s more of a recovery technique?
[/quote]

It depends on how she wants it.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
leon79 wrote:

It depends on how she wants it.[/quote]

What rrjc said. GPP stands for general physical preparation. How much and how intense one’s GPP training should be depends on what general fitness one’s life needs.

Geek boy

IMO GPP is best done in REAL life situations. Carrying things, climbing, things, being productive and building and digging etc. Just doing something physical and constructive.

You gat a double payback be it a fun outing or the outcome of the work.

Thats my take

IMHO.
Everyoen has a dif. approach to their GPP. I have noticed this especially on this website. I take my approach from the Master.

GPP = General Preparatory Phase.

Everyone GPP will be diff. according to what their goals are and what they want out of a GPP.

eg: If your goal is to deadlift 400+ but your grip gives out. Your GPP may be increasing your grip strength so you can geto to 400+ w/o your grip giving out.

Your GPP should be primarily focused on your weak spots. The areas that are holding you back from going to the next level.

GPP should be trained more than an SPP or CP.

I would recomend reading all of Ian Kings book for a better understanding on this approach to GPP.

Jim Wendler said for me I need to do some sled work. For my friend who goes to school and is not fat he can use caring around his back pack from class to class across campus as his GPP. It depends on how in shape or out of shape and your individual goals.

If you can’t walk up stairs with out getting winded do more a little more intense and if you can run a mile like it is nothing you don’t really have to worry.

Everyone over thinks GPP and extra work outs. If you feel you need more do more if it starts messing up you gains back off.

Patrick

Thanks for the responses.

I always do this. The instant I add something to my workouts I begin to overthink it. I end up wasting time, messing around, and eventually get fed up and streamline everything and finally begin to see results. If only I would learn…

somebody earlier mentioned sleds, which I use and have seriously increased my workload capacity. I have an occupation that requires me to carry heavy shit on my back, in my arms, over my shoulders, etc and it contributes enormously to the way I can train and the frequency at which I can train. The sooner I recover, the sooner I can train again, which is where the productivity is for me. GPP is an outstanding tool for the quality of the training. Of course, like mentioned before, don’t overthink it and ruin it. Simplicity is the genius of GPP. Enjoy yourself.