GPP Question

I found this on another website and wondered what would T-Nation say:

“Is weight training G.P.P. for athletes other than powerlifters and olympic lifters?”

What does everyone think?
WIll42

[quote]Will42 wrote:
I found this on another website and wondered what would T-Nation say:

“Is weight training G.P.P. for athletes other than powerlifters and olympic lifters?”

What does everyone think?
WIll42[/quote]

Is GENERAL Physical Preparedness for athletes other that PL and Oly…
I’m going to have to go with “yes” on that. It is GENERAL Physical Preparedness, after all.

JMO,
Matthew

I suppose if you want to get technical, it is, but it certainly is not the most effective way of improving work capacity.

Also you must specify what TYPE of lifting weights. An olympic lifting session where you might take 4-5 mins between sets of 3 reps is very different than a fat-to-fire or Javorek-type circuit where you perform multiple exercises back to back with no rest between. Obviously the latter is much more effective as GPP.

I believe CW had a great article on this. Anyone know where it is? He recommended having people load up the leg press then unload it, I have some kids(18 year olds) do it when I train them but it never gets them tired. Maybe because it’s not enough enough, about 6 or 7 45’s and 3 25’s for each side

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
I believe CW had a great article on this. Anyone know where it is? He recommended having people load up the leg press then unload it, I have some kids(18 year olds) do it when I train them but it never gets them tired. Maybe because it’s not enough enough, about 6 or 7 45’s and 3 25’s for each side[/quote]

That’s GPP ASAP, published at 2004.

[Mod Note: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=468125 ]