GPP Innovators..Please!

I’ve been a strength trainer for years who had a rude awakening on a volleyball court how I’ve absolutely (embarassingly) lost agility and athleticism (although I CAN bench 325 DUDE!)
Anyway, I’m bound and determined to incorporate GPP type training into my programs…PERMANENTLY!
Where to start…I want the best! with plenty of progression potential.
Any exhaustive list of exercises/programs.
Thanks so much.

I would say that the best GPP out there can be found in sports. Rock Climbing, Volleyball, Hockey. The more you play the more “athletic” you can become.

There are a lot of good GPP ideas on this site. Look up Chad Waterbury’s “GPP ASAP”. Great article.

Also. look at the “clubbells” thread under the T-Jack category. Some members have posted some great GPP ideas there.

Get in shape,

Todd

Here is Istvan Javorek’s barbell complex #1. Do all the exercises with NO REST in between.

1. Upright Row x6

2. High Pull Snatch x6

3. Behind Neck Squat Push Press x6

4. Behind Neck Good Morning x6

5. Bent over Row x6

Sounds to me like you are actually in need of SPP (Specific Physical Preparation). GPP (General Physical Preparation) builds the base by improving your work capability. SPP refines the skills needed for athletic performance.

While you should always strive to improve your GPP, you should also include some SPP drills into your workout plan. SPP would include tumbling, agility ladder drills, hip mobility exercises, jumping rope, juggling, etc. See the Renegade and the Clubbell sites for more examples.

Well I was going to add this to my thread as an update with the happening with my mother and such. I think I can kill two birds with one stone by putting it here though.

Give me a minute it will fit in. lol

As far as GPP I have to put my vote in for just simple REAL World hard freaking work. Not only will it make you more fit, adding functional strength, endurance, all that. It builds character, something I am sorry to say quite a few ppl lack now a days. I will stay away from that though and try and stay on topic.

So just get a shovel, dig a hole. Use a wheel barrow to move the dirt you have dug. Etc… Talk about GPP. Go and dig a 18’ x 5’ x 3’ gold fish pond through clay and rock by hand and you have some GPP. Add in that you must deposit all that dirt uphill by using a wheel barrow and there you go.

You get something done and get a great GPP workout.

So I say just go do something, anything that requires picking up and moving heavy objects. As a bonus you might even bve able to get someone to pay you for it. Or make your own little oasis by constructing a pond for your Mom. LOL

Here are the pics of my worn out butt just finishing the digging of such a hole.

Hope that helps, and mom say hello to you all and the recovery is goiing good. Diet is getting straight and emphasis on training comes next.

See ya
Phill

hole

Phill,
I agree that the best GPP is actual hard labor, and that most people today shy away from it. I remember a thread a few months ago, in which a college kid asked if he should accept a summer job, which required that he dig holes for septic tanks by hand. Many of the responses were, “Dude, get a job as a lifeguard instead. That way you can save your energy for your workouts.”
I wanted to he-bitch bitch slap them all.

Rick has hit the nail on the button!
I’ve been hauling hay for my father in law the last fews days.
I couldn’t finish my deadlift workout yesterday because both my atms, low back and legs had no more gas.

Will be doing some more on the weekend.

Rick,

I remember the very same thread. The Kid had an offer to work a couple days a week digging. I also remember the replies you speak of, AHHHH. I told him do it, only dont do it 2 days a week, look into going full time.

I thought this was going to be my first summer in about 6 years where I didnt work in some type of manual labor job. Well I guess it is a bit different this time. I am not getting payed for it this year.

Phill

[quote]Rick Jakubowski wrote:
Phill,
I agree that the best GPP is actual hard labor, and that most people today shy away from it. I remember a thread a few months ago, in which a college kid asked if he should accept a summer job, which required that he dig holes for septic tanks by hand. Many of the responses were, “Dude, get a job as a lifeguard instead. That way you can save your energy for your workouts.”
I wanted to he-bitch bitch slap them all.
[/quote]

LOL! You know, I actually look for opportunities to do labor, and it’s not just so I won’t get bitch slapped by Rick “T-Jack” ubowski. Helping someone move is one of the best things you can do – lifting, carrying weight, walking up stairs.

MikeTheBear,
LMAO, but I do not he-bitch bitch slap friends, bears and lawyers, so you are 100% safe. Any time you want to do some GPP, my horse farm is at your disposal.

BTW, I’m finally home for a week, and have a brand new pair of Metolius Rock Rings to play my GPP games with.

I live in the heart of downtown Chicago.Horse farms are out.
Just thought there must be some comprehensive list of SPP and GPP type exercises to create similar programs for myself… preferrably with movements different than my bodybuilding ones.
the 'exercises you’ve never tried series is helpful… but and strength and conditioning professional resources?

[quote]rockky wrote:
I live in the heart of downtown Chicago.Horse farms are out.
Just thought there must be some comprehensive list of SPP and GPP type exercises to create similar programs for myself… preferrably with movements different than my bodybuilding ones.
the 'exercises you’ve never tried series is helpful… but and strength and conditioning professional resources?[/quote]

Here is a good list that was witten by silverback, aka little coach h

"I agree with most of what is aid here, although the sleights have been somewhat generic…

Like: 500 Hindu squats not carrying over to swimming performance… no offense, but no shit. I bet the inverse is rather accurate also, that swimming won’t carry over to performance in Hindu squats. Especially since swimming is a hip driven movement with little break in the knees, and hindu squats are a cardiovascular/ quad exercise… hmm.

Furey products are expensive, and I have a few of them… so I am not postulating here. He actually shows a number of different body weight exercises at the end of his videos, so boredom is for those with little imagination.

The reason Furey advocates the King’s court are fairly obvious:

Hindu squats are not a great exercise for sprint based (or swimming either!!!) sports, as it is primarily a quad exercise. It will teach you something about fortitude… much like what Davies talks of so often. My kness were sore as hell at first when doing them, but soon the slight bit of swelling went down, and they were far stronger than before. It took me 3.5 weeks to get to 500 Hindu squats in a row (I am a good athlete, but very rear-chain dominant). This takes about 15 minutes to do, and your quads will be swollen like ballons. If 15 minutes of an activity is boring, I guess that any elite conditioning program will not suffice, because in college, our sprint workouts lasted for over an hour, and all we did was run in a straight line…wow, it was really terrible…not. Also, if you were to follow most strength programs advocating 5 sets of 5 with 4 minutes rest between each set, that would bring you up to 24 minutes I believe…a lifetime of boredom in this McDonald’s generated society.

I really almost cannot believe how fuckin’ soft some people are… I mean Davies alludes to it, and he is so right…we are a society of pussies. Hell, do them while you are sitting on your soft ass watching West Wing.

On to Hindu-push-ups. These were very difficult for me at first, as I dislocated my shoulders a number of times, and my throwing/ serving background really trashed my rotator cuff in my right shoulder. The Hindu push-up is great for strengthening the entire shoulder region, and it also stretches you out like nobody’s business if you do them right. It is basically a downward dog into a cobra…swooping through the bottom region. They are pretty nice.

Back bridges are pretty controversial, but all I know was that since incorporating bridges, bridge-push-ups, back bends, and walk-overs back into my workouts, my lower and midback problems have disappeared. Maybe I am the exception, but I doubt it. These really teach you static strength, and stretch out your back much like a pilates 1/2 barrel does. If your neck can take doing them, than good for you… I was a wide receiver built like Merton Hanks, and mine was ok with them, so I bet your would be too.

He also sells a video which shows a ton of old time workout moves on ropes, rings, and a trpeze type unit. This video was sweet to say the least, if only i had the equipment. When I finally open my own gym, I will definitely try to get these items installed along with Elite racks, reverse hyper, GHR’s, etc.

Weighted

Farmer?s Walk
Lunge Walks
Car Push
Sled Drag
Hands Behind Knees
Ankle Drag (F,B,S)

Wheelbarrow
Backward Barrow
Uphill Barrow
Punching Sled Drag
Uppercut Sled Drag
Rowing Sled Drag

Non-Weighted

Jumping Jacks
Shuffle Jacks
Slalom Jumps
Vertical Jumps
Hindu Jumpers
Split Squats
Star Jumps
Burpees
Mountain Climbers
Bootstrappers
Back Bend on Knees
Hindu Squats
Lunges
High Knees
Skips
Hindu Push-ups
1-Leg Push-ups
Tri-ups
Wide-ups
Arms Over Head-ups
Hand Stand-ups
Sumos
Swoop L/R Ups
Clap-up w/obstacle
Clap-ups
MB-ups (varied)
MB Scoop Tosses
Back Bends
Front Bridge
Back Bridge
Back Bend-ups
Table Tops
Foot Touches
6? Tri-ups
Wheelbarrow
Crab Walks

Any Abdominal
Like:
Linear
Incline Sit-ups
Pull-downs
Hanging Pike (Circle)
Bruce Lee?s
Reverse Sit-ups
Good Morning Mary
Arm Bars
Chinees (Bikes)
Med Ball Handoffs
Sit-ups
Eagle Sit-ups
Seated Pike
Leg Throw
Jacknife
Downward Ball Smash
Swiss Ball (Reverse)
Jandas

Rotation
Med Ball Twists
Russian Twists
Bicycles
Sit,Cross,Cross
Rainbows

Low Back
Bridges
Back Bends
Table Tops
Superman
Spiders
Cobras

Lateral Flexion
Cable Side Bends
DB Side Bedns
Side Deadlift

Stabalization
Side Deadlifts
Figure 8’s

Compression
Vacuums

The list isn’t complete, but they encompass the GPP I prescribe on a regular basis with my clients. They do pretty well in both physique transformation and performance, scratch that, they do amazingly well.

Obviously it is vital you incorporate these items into a sound program, but this will help get you started.

So, are the videos worth it? I am not sure… I think there might be other videos better than his depending on your goals. If you want a great set of videos containing some exercises that can and will change your physique, then these might be the ones. I will say that I loaned out these videos to a friend who ‘lost them’, and I might re-buy them… but, I make a living doing this work. For you, it might be different.

Just don’t get them if you are a swimmer… how funny.

Lil Coach H
CSCS "

Hope it helps

rokky,

This is Chris Thibaudeau’s Power Circuit. Not a GPP routine per se but it will DEFINITELY build work capacity as well as building power.

The Double Deuce Protocol:

In the DD protocol our weapon of choice is the Dumbbell Squat Thrust (or burpee) to D-Bell Clean and Jerk - or as I call it, the DD. Pick a weight that you can military press approximately 15 times. I would say that for most individuals a 25-30# dumbbell would be suitable.

DD:
1- Get into a pushup position with d-bells in hand
2- Perform a pushup
3-bring your legs up to the position of your hands (a regular deep squat)
3-Standup and clean the weight
4- Jerk the weight overhead for one repetition
5- Lower and repeat.

Now, two times per day, you will perform two sets (resting between sets for two minutes) of dumbbell squat thrust to dumbbell clean and jerks doing as many reps as you can (staying 3-5 reps shy of failure).

An excellent goal would be for a combined total of 100 reps per day. 3-4 weeks, and your capacity should improve to the point where you could add several extra workouts to address any lagging attributes. This is excellent for recovery days, as it will not tax the nervous system beyond its capabilities.

Various mediums can be enabled, body weight (just perform explosively as though the weight was still in your hands), sand bags, kettle bells, or club bells (by doing the squat thrust portion on your knuckles).