T Nation

GPP and Other Goals

This coming Friday, I will have been training for two weeks on SS. Been great so far, and I’m already feeling stronger. The goal here of course being to continue getting stronger, while gaining about 30-40 lbs of lean mass and dropping to about 10% BF – however long it takes, though obviously the sooner the better.

Some secondary goals, though no less important to me, are my sport specific training, and what I’ve recently learned is called General Physical Preparedness.

My sports specific shit (parkour, freerunning, and gymnastics) is very technique heavy right now, and will be for quite some time. In other words, I am not at an advanced enough level yet for it to be severely impacting my recovery ability – yet.

The third area of course being GPP, which is where my question comes in. I can see this being the area that could potentially interefere with my lifts and ability to recover, should I over do it. I’ve been looking at some rudimentary stuff, such as conditioning stuff fighters do, as well as the strongmen type stuff… but I figure it best to ask you experienced guys what you would recommend.

Boils down to this: focusing on SS for strength and mass gain (eventually adding more climbing, pullups, dips and such as I get a better gauge of my recovery), my other training for skill building, and I am looking to incorporate some GPP to get my cardio and endurance up. Nothing too insane; I don’t mean to make it sound like I’m trying to run a marathon whilst simultaneously adding mass and lifting heavy ass shit. Hopefully you all see where I’m coming from.

Anyway. How should I go about this? Any specific programs/routines you recommend? Apologies in advance for the long post!!

[quote]TitanBSF wrote:
Boils down to this: focusing on SS for strength and mass gain (eventually adding more climbing, pullups, dips and such as I get a better gauge of my recovery), my other training for skill building, and I am looking to incorporate some GPP to get my cardio and endurance up.[/quote]

Are you noticing that your cardio conditioning is a limiting factor in your sports? If it isn’t, there might not be an exact need for separate GPP. Concentrating some more time on your Parkour and other stuff would be just as effective.

Waterbury’s GPP ASAP gives you an idea of a basic GPP workout.

But realize that any GPP or sport stuff you do is going to burn more calories, making it that much more important that you E-A-T if you want to put on those 30-40 pounds.

Not to confuse you any further, but look into the G-Flux theory to see if you can make “training more and eating even more” work for you.

Thank you for the links, Chris. Much appreciated.