T Nation

Govt. to Control Supplements

Big Brother is back for round two…

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19370824/

It doesnt seem that bad, just contamination checks and making sure that if it says it contains a certain product, it does.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
Big Brother is back for round two…

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19370824/
[/quote]

As well it should if this industry is to ever be taken seriously outside of its own consumer base.

Besides, all this measure does is ensure that manufacturers run the proper assays on the raw materials they receive, and the finished products they manufacture to ensure quality standards (i.e. GMPs) are met.

The better companies are already, and have been doing this for a long time.

The more bothersome, or rather hypocritical part of the measure is that the media and the politicians spinning this have failed to recognize that the quality control practices previously in place for dietary supplements is, in fact, the same standards for foods.

Thus, if the take-home message is that supplements have been mislabeled and tainted b/c of poor quality control standards, than what does that say about the food on our grocery store shelves? That story will likely not make its way to print, but God willing, I hope it does. - c

[quote]SeanT wrote:
It doesnt seem that bad, just contamination checks and making sure that if it says it contains a certain product, it does.[/quote]

Yes, I think holding manufacturers accountable for label claims is a good idea.

Other than that, I think the government should ‘mind it’s own business’ and leave the supplement industry alone.

[quote]W@LRUS!1 wrote:

Other than that, I think the government should ‘mind it’s own business’ and leave the supplement industry alone.[/quote]

Why? The supplement industry has become a giant. look at all the crap out there right now. Nobody is doing anything to keep it in check, but they need to. 80-90% of the products that are sitting on shelves right now, have inferior ingredients, make false claims that are not backed up in any way, shape or form.

Why can’t the gov’t step in and hopefully purge some of the junk out there. I say GOOD JOB. They should do something. they should make manufacturers back up what they offer. Every ingredient should be accounted for, and if a company makes some “claim”, then they should have to prove that as well.

[quote]Addicted wrote:
W@LRUS!1 wrote:

Other than that, I think the government should ‘mind it’s own business’ and leave the supplement industry alone.

Why? The supplement industry has become a giant. look at all the crap out there right now. Nobody is doing anything to keep it in check, but they need to. 80-90% of the products that are sitting on shelves right now, have inferior ingredients, make false claims that are not backed up in any way, shape or form.

Why can’t the gov’t step in and hopefully purge some of the junk out there. I say GOOD JOB. They should do something. they should make manufacturers back up what they offer. Every ingredient should be accounted for, and if a company makes some “claim”, then they should have to prove that as well.
[/quote]

Is there a reason you cut this part of my post out?

[quote]W@LRUS!1 wrote:
Yes, I think holding manufacturers accountable for label claims is a good idea.[/quote]

Let me repeat…

I think holding manufacturers accountable for label claims is a good idea.

Presidential Canidate Ron Paul’s thoughts on Dietary Supplements and Health Freedom.

dated April 26, 2005

Thoughts?

[quote]W@LRUS!1 wrote:
Addicted wrote:
W@LRUS!1 wrote:

Other than that, I think the government should ‘mind it’s own business’ and leave the supplement industry alone.

Why? The supplement industry has become a giant. look at all the crap out there right now. Nobody is doing anything to keep it in check, but they need to. 80-90% of the products that are sitting on shelves right now, have inferior ingredients, make false claims that are not backed up in any way, shape or form.

Why can’t the gov’t step in and hopefully purge some of the junk out there. I say GOOD JOB. They should do something. they should make manufacturers back up what they offer. Every ingredient should be accounted for, and if a company makes some “claim”, then they should have to prove that as well.

Is there a reason you cut this part of my post out?

W@LRUS!1 wrote:
Yes, I think holding manufacturers accountable for label claims is a good idea.

Let me repeat…

I think holding manufacturers accountable for label claims is a good idea.[/quote]

Sorry, that’s my bad.

[quote]W@LRUS!1 wrote:
SeanT wrote:
It doesnt seem that bad, just contamination checks and making sure that if it says it contains a certain product, it does.

Yes, I think holding manufacturers accountable for label claims is a good idea.

Other than that, I think the government should ‘mind it’s own business’ and leave the supplement industry alone.[/quote]

I agree. You cannot trust many of these manufacturers. Having a watchdog is a good idea.

Last time the government got involved in supplements, Andro and whole bunch of other stuff became illegal. They protected YOU right out if using 4-Androstenione AND MAG-10.