Government vs Supplements

what “Issue Area” would this fall under?

Health, i guess.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
Thats why you guys need to elect Mr. Schwarzenegger (lol spell check fixed the name for me 0_o) to the Senate.[/quote]

Yeah, because he’s a great politician…

[quote]koleah wrote:
I read through this thread and part of the other thread, so I haven’t read every post yet. But:

Have the Biotest “guys” weighed in on this at all? given their opinions at any point, or mentioned this at all? I’m sure they’re keeping close track of this bill since it would affect them more than any of us.

[/quote]

I would love to hear what TC and Tim Patterson have to say about it, and even get C. Shugart or CT or some of the other guys’ opinions. They would be most greatly affected by any of this, and would give some perspective.

[quote]JCS19Y wrote:
I’ll be the first to admit I don’t follow politics much at all, but this strikes me as kind of George Orwell-Big Brother-ish to me. It’s as if politicians don’t trust the ‘little citizens of America’ to make our own decisions safely and intelligently, so they have to take control of every detail. To me, that’s what freedom is about: you’re free to make stupid decisions, you’re free to make a product and try to sell it for profit, you’re free to pursue your own interests and happiness.

We have a responsibility to ourselves and our community to do those things in a safe manner that doesn’t harm others, and in general we (collectively, the nutritional supplement community) have been doing that. Things like phen-phen come along and do some damage and the government steps in to ban them, and it may be good to see some things regulated by the FDA to prevent problems like that, but this just feels like a big step in a bad direction.[/quote]

Personal Responsibility went out the window in the 70’s … oh, you didn’t get the memo? lol, how embarassing for you :slight_smile:

PS: Senator John Kerry has been notified as has Rep. Barney Frank … Senator Scott Brown doesn’t have an email address (How this happens I have no idea) … I know I live in a shitty state and shitty district … big whoop wanna fight about it?

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the regulation of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) products. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

Complementary and alternative medicine products are important to many Americans seeking alternative treatments and ways to maintain their health. I have consistently supported funding for research into alternative medicines and helped pass legislation in 1998 establishing the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). In addition, I supported the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (Public Law 109-462). This bill established provisions regarding the composition and labeling of dietary supplements, ensuring greater consumer access and choice without unnecessary and restrictive regulations.

As you may know, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reported that the dramatic increase in the practice of complementary and alternative medicine has led to confusion as to what federal regulations apply to some CAM products. Specifically, FDA Docket No. 2006D-0480 states that under current law, depending on the product, “a product used in a CAM therapy or practice may be subject to regulation” and that current law does not exempt CAM products from regulation.

On February 4, 2010, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) introduced S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010. This bill has been referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP), a committee on which I serve.

I understand that this issue is important to you. I assure you that I will closely monitor this issue and will keep your views in mind should the HELP Committee take up this legislation. Again, thank you for contacting me and please keep in touch.

I hope all is well in Spokane.

Sincerely,
Patty Murray
United States Senator

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for sharing your opposition to S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act.

I agree with your view that consumers should have access to supplements and foods that are beneficial to their health. Approaching health care proactively, particularly through a nutritious diet, can go a long way in our nationâ??s fight against chronic disease.

While I believe it is critically important to appropriately regulate all human and animal medicines, including dietary supplements, we must be careful not to create needless and counterproductive obstacles preventing beneficial access to these products. I supported the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA) and will fight any attempt to undermine the dietary supplement industry or interfere with a consumerâ??s right to obtain safe and effective supplements.

I will continue to monitor this important issue and will keep your views in mind should S. 3002 come before the U.S. Senate.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

So everyone here just assumes that the supplement makers are putting exactly what they say into their products? For such a cynical and suspicious group I find that very surprising.

While I’m glad I can get 10 different brands of fish oil at Walgreens, who’s to say that any one of those pills isn’t just cat piss? Certainly not the FDA, since they don’t have the authority as of now to regulate supplements proactively.

I have no fears buying my products from brands I trust, like Biotest, and I have no fears that they couldn’t pass any test that the FDA could cook up.

Is someone really afraid that the government is going to prevent you from getting vitamin C?

[quote]BabyBuster wrote:
So everyone here just assumes that the supplement makers are putting exactly what they say into their products? For such a cynical and suspicious group I find that very surprising.

While I’m glad I can get 10 different brands of fish oil at Walgreens, who’s to say that any one of those pills isn’t just cat piss? Certainly not the FDA, since they don’t have the authority as of now to regulate supplements proactively.

I have no fears buying my products from brands I trust, like Biotest, and I have no fears that they couldn’t pass any test that the FDA could cook up.

Is someone really afraid that the government is going to prevent you from getting vitamin C?[/quote]

I am a believer in free market, and that bad companies with bad product die on their own, while good companies with good product survive. I don’t like the government regulating needless things and driving up prices.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for sharing your opposition to S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act.

I agree with your view that consumers should have access to supplements and foods that are beneficial to their health. Approaching health care proactively, particularly through a nutritious diet, can go a long way in our nationâ??s fight against chronic disease.

While I believe it is critically important to appropriately regulate all human and animal medicines, including dietary supplements, we must be careful not to create needless and counterproductive obstacles preventing beneficial access to these products. I supported the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA) and will fight any attempt to undermine the dietary supplement industry or interfere with a consumerâ??s right to obtain safe and effective supplements.

I will continue to monitor this important issue and will keep your views in mind should S. 3002 come before the U.S. Senate.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator
[/quote]

Nice work.

[quote]demonthrall wrote:

[quote]BabyBuster wrote:

Is someone really afraid that the government is going to prevent you from getting vitamin C?[/quote]

I am a believer in free market, and that bad companies with bad product die on their own, while good companies with good product survive. I don’t like the government regulating needless things and driving up prices.

[/quote]

Exactly. On the other hand, consider your ‘fringe’ supplements, like stimulants (SPIKE), N.O. products, fat burners (HOT-ROX), etc. If they go under a microscope, I wouldn’t be surprised if some ignorant big-wig deems them more dangerous than healthful. Prices go way up, and availability goes way, way down.

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations are intended to protect consumers, not restrict access to safe and effective nutritional supplements. Recent recalls of unsafe medicines from the market have raised concerns over the drug review and monitoring systems of the FDA. Studies estimate that over half of all Americans use dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals and herbs. Please rest assured that I will continue to work toward ensuring that the FDA implements regulations that protect our consumersâ?? health while also defending consumersâ?? rights.

On February 4, 2010, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) introduced S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010. This legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to more effectively regulate dietary supplements that may pose safety risks unknown to consumers.

The safety of these supplements, as well as their continued availability to the public, are extremely important. The Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 has been referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, on which I do not serve. Should this issue come for consideration before the full Senate, you may be certain I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

Dear Dr. _______:

I received your letter expressing your concerns about the “Dietary Supplement Safety Act.” I appreciate the time you took to write and apologize for the delay in my response.

As you may know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates dietary supplements differently than it does conventional foods and prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994, the manufacturer of the dietary supplement is responsible for ensuring the safety of the product before marketing it to the public. Dietary supplements do not need FDA approval before being marketed, however the FDA is responsible for taking action against an unsafe product once it has been introduced into the marketplace.Â

On February 4, 2010, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) introduced the “Dietary Supplement Safety Act” (S. 3002), which would require manufacturers of dietary supplements to register with the FDA and disclose the ingredients used in their products. It would also give the agency mandatory recall authority if a product is found to be unsafe or harmful to consumer health. This bill has been referred to the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee.

I have noted your opposition to this bill and will be sure to keep your comments in mind should it come before the full Senate.

Once again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Dear Mr. Giggity:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 (S. 3002). I appreciate hearing from you.

Dietary supplements are safely consumed by millions of Americans every day. I take a multivitamin every morning. The vast majority of these supplements do not result in harm to the consumer and have been safely used in the marketplace for many years.

Senator McCain of Arizona introduced the Dietary Supplement Safety Act to require dietary supplement manufacturers to register with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and fully disclose the ingredients of their products. If the ingredients are not approved by the FDA, the products would be subject to removal from the marketplace. Manufacturers would be required to report all adverse reactions and to demonstrate to the FDA that new dietary ingredients are safe.

I have heard from constituents who wonder why Congress is considering additional legislation when most dietary supplements are perfectly safe and may be beneficial. Sadly, some manufacturers do not put the safety of their customers first. Reputable manufacturers with safe products have nothing to hide. At the same time, I understand your concerns that increasing FDA’s authority to regulate supplements may limit consumer access to some products. I will keep your concerns in mind as this legislation is discussed on the Senate floor.

Thank you again for your message. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ab

I just hope to fuck the EU version of this which is already in motion doesn’t fucking come through.These fucking idiots who have no idea about supplementation think they have the right to tell me and you that it’s unhealthy and that we’re not allowed to have it.

As a doc and a patient the FDA makes me lose my s*** on a regular basis. I would sooner shoot myself in the foot than willingly let them regulate the supplement industry.

Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of garbage in the supplement industry and a lot of potential danger as well, but the FDA is not who I want telling me what’s what. They ignore the dangers of BPA and phthalates, which are neutering fish and frogs in massive numbers and have been shown to have a significant effeect in humans, but ban Tysabri (a practically miracle drug for multiple sclerosis) for a very, very low risk of death.

At the end of the day, the government doesn’t have the right to tell us what are and what are not acceptable risks.

[quote]wigsa wrote:
I just hope to fuck the EU version of this which is already in motion doesn’t fucking come through.These fucking idiots who have no idea about supplementation think they have the right to tell me and you that it’s unhealthy and that we’re not allowed to have it.[/quote]

DSHEA already enables this. You’re about 16 years too late. Way to educate yourself on the matter, though.

That site actually provides very little explanation on why the bill sucks, merely stating that:

“Legislation under consideration in Congress would create roadblocks to your supplement access. Pending bills would allow the FDA to remove products from the market based on a single anecdotal report of an adverse event.”

That blurb is entirely useless.

How many of you read the bill? Do the people who contacted your senator actually oppose the passing of DSHEA? If you do not, why are you opposed to this current legislation?