Government Slimdown, Not a Shutdown

“It’s time for Republicans to stop obsessing over old battles. I mean, I say to my Republican friends, ObamaCare is over. It’s passed, it’s the law,” Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said.

I love this quote from Harry Reid. The original bill made sure that Congress and its staff does not get subsidies, but all of a sudden the Democrats ask Obama for an exemption to the bill. Republicans are only wanting to make the bill whole again. Harry Reid and Democrats are above the bill I guess. Republicans only want Individuals to have the same exemptions that Large Corporations are getting from Obama and the Democrats. I guess the Democrats hate the middle class and love Big Business. Maybe that is just ironic and not hypocrisy.

Anyone seeing anything bad happen with this federal government slimdown going on? My life was 100% the same today no changes for me.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

“It’s time for Republicans to stop obsessing over old battles. I mean, I say to my Republican friends, ObamaCare is over. It’s passed, it’s the law,” Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said.

I love this quote from Harry Reid. The original bill made sure that Congress and its staff does not get subsidies, but all of a sudden the Democrats ask Obama for an exemption to the bill. Republicans are only wanting to make the bill whole again. Harry Reid and Democrats are above the bill I guess. Republicans only want Individuals to have the same exemptions that Large Corporations are getting from Obama and the Democrats. I guess the Democrats hate the middle class and love Big Business. Maybe that is just ironic and not hypocrisy.

Anyone seeing anything bad happen with this federal government slimdown going on? My life was 100% the same today no changes for me.[/quote]

Yeah, I notice nothing. They can stay shut down for all I care. It’s not really ‘shutdown’ all the important stuff goes on as normal. Obama can take a cab, fuck’im.

Thought everyone would like to see all the Government Shutdowns in US History.

Just because you guys haven’t noticed any changes doesn’t mean they’re not there. You should realize that you are infinitely more in danger now. Obviously you folks are not part of the elite, because if you were then you would easily be able to see that.

[quote]NickViar wrote:
Just because you guys haven’t noticed any changes doesn’t mean they’re not there. You should realize that you are infinitely more in danger now. Obviously you folks are not part of the elite, because if you were then you would easily be able to see that.[/quote]

Infinitely more in danger? Really and how so? The military is still on duty and getting paid.

I am really hoping this was sarcasm from you.

I don’t give a shit about the shutdown, but if these cretins, most of whom don’t even actually know what a debt ceiling does and does not entail, get our credit rating downgraded in a couple weeks I’m gonna be calling for public hangings.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]NickViar wrote:
Just because you guys haven’t noticed any changes doesn’t mean they’re not there. You should realize that you are infinitely more in danger now. Obviously you folks are not part of the elite, because if you were then you would easily be able to see that.[/quote]

Infinitely more in danger? Really and how so? The military is still on duty and getting paid.

I am really hoping this was sarcasm from you.[/quote]

Hell, I don’t know, I’m also not a member of the elite, but that has to be what any government cuts mean, right?

[quote]NickViar wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]NickViar wrote:

I am really hoping this was sarcasm from you.[/quote]

Hell, I don’t know, I’m also not a member of the elite, but that has to be what any government cuts mean, right?[/quote]

Lol. I knew it had to be sarcasm.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:
I don’t give a shit about the shutdown, but if these cretins, most of whom don’t even actually know what a debt ceiling does and does not entail, get our credit rating downgraded in a couple weeks I’m gonna be calling for public hangings.[/quote]

Any single mom knows when your credit cards are maxed out and you are taking advantage of a zero-interest special offer, you sure as shit don’t want to do something to kick yourself into the 30% penalty box like missing a payment because that costs you real fucking money.

The real bullshit is that a bill had to be passed to pay troops during the shutdown, federal employees don’t get paid during the shutdown but will after, yet the pay for the shills who can’t agree on the color of shit is considered essential.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:
I don’t give a shit about the shutdown, but if these cretins, most of whom don’t even actually know what a debt ceiling does and does not entail, get our credit rating downgraded in a couple weeks I’m gonna be calling for public hangings.[/quote]

Any single mom knows when your credit cards are maxed out and you are taking advantage of a zero-interest special offer, you sure as shit don’t want to do something to kick yourself into the 30% penalty box like missing a payment because that costs you real fucking money.

[/quote]

Yep. Nothing screams “we are the party/ideological movement of fiscal responsibility” like refusing to pay down debt obligations that you’ve already incurred, huh?

This is one of those rare political cases where there is a right path and a wrong path and if the mouthbreathers in the House decide to take us down the latter way they are going to usher in a quarter of a century of Democratic empire.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:
The real bullshit is that a bill had to be passed to pay troops during the shutdown, federal employees don’t get paid during the shutdown but will after, yet the pay for the shills who can’t agree on the color of shit is considered essential.[/quote]

This pissed me off as well.

The congress had to pass an ethics law so that congress members would not trade on companies that would be affected by laws they were discussing in committees. You kidding me. Their Ethics are shit.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[/quote]

Yep. Nothing screams “we are the party/ideological movement of fiscal responsibility” like refusing to pay down debt obligations that you’ve already incurred, huh?

This is one of those rare political cases where there is a right path and a wrong path and if the mouthbreathers in the House decide to take us down the latter way they are going to usher in a quarter of a century of Democratic empire.[/quote]

You do know that the Democratic Senate has not passed a Budget in 5 years. Ever Since Obama has been President. If a budget was passed these CRs would not be needed and all these issues with the Debt Ceiling would be handled pretty easily because there would not have been anything to bargain with.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[/quote]

This is one of those rare political cases where there is a right path and a wrong path and if the mouthbreathers in the House decide to take us down the latter way they are going to usher in a quarter of a century of Democratic empire.[/quote]

You do know that the Democratic Senate has not passed a Budget in 5 years. Ever Since Obama has been President. If a budget was passed these CRs would not be needed and all these issues with the Debt Ceiling would be handled pretty easily because there would not have been anything to bargain with.[/quote]

The Debt Ceiling has been raised 39 times since 1980, including something like 18 or 19 times under Reagan. CRs, budgets, it doesn’t matter: as long as we’re a big spending country–and we are–it’s going to get raised.

The point is that not raising it is a catastrophically idiotic move. I mean idiocy. A billion dollar sell off hit the market last time this slavering game of chicken was played, and that was just from talking about it.

As an aside, I agree with you completely with regard to the need to pass responsible budgets. But the point here is that obligations have been incurred and choosing not to pay them off is the pinnacle of fiscal irresponsibility. And furthermore, if we go over the edge and default, my political-science sense of the matter is that Repubs will be annihilated in 2014 and then again in 2016. I like the fact that the left controls the crazy right and the right controls the crazy left. If Republicans decide to throw a wrench into the spokes of this economy, there’s going to be nobody around to combat rampant liberalism in Washington for a good long while.

There is an article here in the Los Angeles Times, County-USC Hospital opened the signup for the exchanges at 9 am…not a single person showed up.

In a city of 4.5 million, the most popular and commonly used hospital did not have one single person sign up.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[/quote]

You do know that the Democratic Senate has not passed a Budget in 5 years. Ever Since Obama has been President. If a budget was passed these CRs would not be needed and all these issues with the Debt Ceiling would be handled pretty easily because there would not have been anything to bargain with.[/quote]

The Debt Ceiling has been raised 39 times since 1980, including something like 18 or 19 times under Reagan. CRs, budgets, it doesn’t matter: as long as we’re a big spending country–and we are–it’s going to get raised.

The point is that not raising it is a catastrophically idiotic move. I mean idiocy. A billion dollar sell off hit the market last time this slavering game of chicken was played, and that was just from talking about it.

As an aside, I agree with you completely with regard to the need to pass responsible budgets. But the point here is that obligations have been incurred and choosing not to pay them off is the pinnacle of fiscal irresponsibility. And furthermore, if we go over the edge and default, my political-science sense of the matter is that Repubs will be annihilated in 2014 and then again in 2016. I like the fact that the left controls the crazy right and the right controls the crazy left. If Republicans decide to throw a wrench into the spokes of this economy, there’s going to be nobody around to combat rampant liberalism in Washington for a good long while.[/quote]

I will go on record to say that it will not hurt the Repubs, in fact it would help them shore up their base. I see several long term Republicans getting beat in primaries. Midterms are notorious for the Republicans winning seats and a united base will put that over the edge.

I really do not see the debt ceiling not being increased, but I do see the Republicans getting something out of it. I would like to see a Balanced Budget Amendment, but we will see what happens. Obama is willing to negotiate with Iran (terrorists), but not the US Congress? This is going to hurt the Democrats extremely bad the longer it goes on. The media is going to try and pin this on Republicans, but I do not see it sticking this time.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
“It’s time for Republicans to stop obsessing over old battles. I mean, I say to my Republican friends, ObamaCare is over. It’s passed, it’s the law,” Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said.[/quote]

Well, slavery was the law of the land in 1861 and the Republicans put a stop to that, too.

If Obama and his cronies want to shut the government down to try to save ObamaCare, let them.

Obama and Reid need to stop this partisan bullshit, get rid of ObamaCare, and let the government operate.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

I will go on record to say that it will not hurt the Repubs, in fact it would help them shore up their base. I see several long term Republicans getting beat in primaries. Midterms are notorious for the Republicans winning seats and a united base will put that over the edge.[/quote]

I will wager anything that if we default, serious damage will be done. Obviously to our economy, but I mean serious damage to Republicans. You are right in that they benefit from making it look like they’re giving Obama a hard time, but if they went through with it, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio would end up as footnotes to history, gone as quickly as they came.

How much I’d like to run for President against a guy that I could point at across the debate stage and say, “he fucked up our economy.” Not “he presided over the fucking up of our economy” or “he didn’t stop/slow the fucking up of our economy” or “he became president in the middle of the fucking up of our economy,” but, slowly and deliberately: “He ruined our economy.”

In the former scenario, he stands to win something that hasn’t been achieved since the advent of Iranian nuclear ambitions and something that is absolutely great for everything from Israeli security to world peace. In the latter, he stands to win something that should happen automatically anyway (re: debt ceiling). I would do exactly the same thing.

I would simply say: you’re not going to hold a gun to the full faith and credit of the United States. I’m not going to beg you not to cause a financial crisis. I’m not going to offer you anything in return for not causing a financial crisis. This is one of the most elementary things expected of you as a member of Congress: not causing a financial crisis. It’s like how parents are expected to not kill their babies. I don’t congratulate parents for not having killed their babies–it’s simply not something that deserves accolades. So it is with this: I’m not going to beg you to raise the debt ceiling, and I’m not going to thank you for having done it once you do. It’s just what you’re going to do, and you’re going to get nothing in return. Oh wait, yes you will get something. The country you’ve taken an oath to serve won’t default. That’s what you get, and, given that oath I just mentioned, you should really, really want it.

Than I’d sit back and either A] get my way or B] usher in a dynastic succession for my party.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
“It’s time for Republicans to stop obsessing over old battles. I mean, I say to my Republican friends, ObamaCare is over. It’s passed, it’s the law,” Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said.[/quote]

Well, slavery was the law of the land in 1861 and the Republicans put a stop to that, too.

If Obama and his cronies want to shut the government down to try to save ObamaCare, let them.

Obama and Reid need to stop this partisan bullshit, get rid of ObamaCare, and let the government operate.[/quote]

I agree with you yet again my friend.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:
[/quote]

Actually, another Congress, a Democrat one, incurred these debts and the Democrat Senate has failed to pass a budget.

This is a partisan move by Obama and Reid. They refuse to back down on the disaster that is ObamaCare because of the money it will make their cronies and ego. They need to do the right thing, put their partisan bullshit aside, and stop this disaster.