Gov. Rick Perry

[quote]forlife wrote:
I hope not. He reminds me of a used car salesman, and would be at the rock bottom of my list. [/quote]

Nah, that’s Myth Romney, who has had so many 180 degree policy changes it’s pitifully clear he will say ANYTHING to get elected. Completely pathetic tool.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:

Cons:
. . .

Too overtly Christian – with his prayer meeting and all. Maybe he can get away with that in Texas, but it’s a turnoff to other parts of the country. Thinking heavily populated northeast cities?[/quote]

Really?

Does anyone care what religion this guy is?

So he goes to prayer meetings. Sounds like he wants to improve himself, and found studying ancient wisdom (whether one agrees with it or not) helps. I could think of worse things.

I’m not for discriminating against a guy because his religion is different than mine.

(Bit strange for an Orthodox Jewish guy to be defending Roman Catholics or whatever denomination he is, but wrong is wrong. I haven’t seen any pogroms by Christians in the USA, ever. Nor bombings by Christian zealots. They may think you are going to burn in Hell, but who cares? If you are sure in your beliefs, ignore the mutual theological dispute, and judge them by their acts.)

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]forlife wrote:
I hope not. He reminds me of a used car salesman, and would be at the rock bottom of my list. [/quote]

Nah, that’s Myth Romney, who has had so many 180 degree policy changes it’s pitifully clear he will say ANYTHING to get elected. Completely pathetic tool.[/quote]

But we do know something about him, he has a history. Heck we even know who is father was. And he’s been a Governor, head of the Olympics and a successful busines man. Can anyone say such things about Obama? Really, who is that guy? And why is he President?

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Cons:
. . .

Too overtly Christian – with his prayer meeting and all. Maybe he can get away with that in Texas, but it’s a turnoff to other parts of the country. Thinking heavily populated northeast cities?[/quote]

Really?

So he goes to prayer meetings. Sounds like he wants to improve himself, and found studying ancient wisdom (whether one agrees with it or not) helps. I could think of worse things.

I’m not for discriminating against a guy because his religion is different than mine.

(Bit strange for an Orthodox Jewish guy to be defending Roman Catholics or whatever denomination he is, but wrong is wrong. I haven’t seen any pogroms by Christians in the USA, ever. Nor bombings by Christian zealots. They may think you are going to burn in Hell, but who cares? If you are sure in your beliefs, ignore the mutual theological dispute, and judge them by their acts.)[/quote]

This is something that lots of people don’t understand. The guy goes to church and believes in God. Now according to the media that hurts him. But according to about 80% of the electorate that helps him. NYC and LA won’t like him because of that? Big deal, he’s not winning CA and NY anyway.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Cons:
. . .

Really?

(Bit strange for an Orthodox Jewish guy to be defending Roman Catholics or whatever denomination he is, but wrong is wrong. I haven’t seen any pogroms by Christians in the USA, ever. Nor bombings by Christian zealots. They may think you are going to burn in Hell, but who cares? If you are sure in your beliefs, ignore the mutual theological dispute, and judge them by their acts.)[/quote]

It’s not that he’s Christian…it’s that he’s OVERT about it. August 6th, he’s leading a ‘prayer and fast’ event at Reliant Stadium, which seems like Church and State are a little too chummy. Like I said, in Texas, he’ll get away with it. Others may worry that he’ll be in their face with his brand of religion.

(Don’t get me wrong…I happen to LIKE the guy. And that type of non-denominational christianity is a-ok with me.) I guess we will have to wait and see how people react. I think it’s a ballsy move. Most politicians would avoid that scene.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Cons:
. . .

Really?

This is something that lots of people don’t understand. The guy goes to church and believes in God. Now according to the media that hurts him. But according to about 80% of the electorate that helps him. NYC and LA won’t like him because of that? Big deal, he’s not winning CA and NY anyway.

[/quote]

True. I think it would be great if it helped him.

It’s not that he’s Christian…it’s that he’s OVERT about it.[/quote]

GASP! Someone who is openly Christian? How dare he come out of the closet.

We’ve fallen so far so fast…

It’s not that he’s Christian…it’s that he’s OVERT about it. [/quote]

Reminds me of my Reform in-law who gets upset that I have a beard and wear a kippah — I’m just “too overtly Jewish.”

How non-Jewish people want to commune with G-d is between them and G-d, as far as I am concerned. Leave them alone.

You guys are missing my point entirely. We are not talking about any Tom, Dick or Harry here…who cares what they believe, whether it’s out in the open or in private. I agree…who gives a rat’s ass?

We are talking about a high level public figure…potentially the President or Vice President of the United States of America hosting a HUGE Christian prayer meeting in a land where Separation of Church and State is part of the Constitution. I’m just saying it’s a ballsy move. How many politicians are overtly religious like that?..I mean in the ‘gather the masses’ in the Name of Jesus Christ sense?

I can’t think of any off-hand.

You guys are missing my point entirely. We are not talking about any Tom, Dick or Harry here…who cares what they believe, whether it’s out in the open or in private. I agree…who gives a rat’s ass?

We are talking about a high level public figure…potentially the President or Vice President of the United States of America hosting a HUGE Christian prayer meeting in a land where Separation of Church and State is part of the Constitution. I’m just saying it’s a ballsy move. How many politicians are overtly religious like that?..I mean in the ‘gather the masses’ in the Name of Jesus Christ sense?

I can’t think of any off-hand. [/quote]

It makes perfect sense. Check the speeches from our forefathers. There was NEVER a significant speech given where God was not mentioned. The overwhelming majority of the founders of the greatest country on earth, the United States of America were CHRISTIAN. There is no public figure who should hide the fact that he or she worships a greater power. I respect Perry and those before him who were up front with their faith and the majority of Americans will too since about 85% of them believe in a higher power and about one 30% describe themselves as born again Christians. Of course you would never realize a stat like that hanging around T Nation.

I think you’re spending too much time on this site listening to the 20 something wacko’s who claim that God does not exist. And then try to put forth a laughable scientific argument to back up their inane assertion. In the real world of hard working, functioning adults any politician who shows their faith will only be rewarded at the polls.

I really hope Rick Perry runs, I think he has a lot to offer.

Not many are that ballsy in leading a prayer Sweet Revenge especially a politician but I actually think this will help him. People are tired of being too PC and I believe we are at a tipping point on this issue of being too PC. He actually has real energy in his speeches unlike the Republicans candidates.
Just as a side note. During the Dallas Mavericks playoff Championship run I attended a game in Oklahoma City and before pregame the whole stadium held a prayer and it happens during a OKC pregames. The media just does not show it. Perry is a game changer and lets hope he runs.

I think I joked when I first posted this about how grateful Washington must have been that the ACLU wasn’t around yet.
http://gregnmary.gotdns.com:8080/index.php/topic,108.0/highlight,washington.html

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I think I joked when I first posted this about how grateful Washington must have been that the ACLU wasn’t around yet.
http://gregnmary.gotdns.com:8080/index.php/topic,108.0/highlight,washington.html[/quote]

Nice! I love it! I particulary like GW’s description of ‘God of Nations’ and ‘Divine Providence’ and ‘Freedom of worship’. Brings a sense of UNITY, doesn’t it?

Very cool. Especially compared to the religious bickering that often takes place in this forum…from The Catholic Church being the only so-called true religion, all the way to atheism and everything in between. bicker, bicker, snipe, snipe, bicker. What a waste.

GW avoided all that by taking a loftier, all inclusive view of God. One of Divine Providence and not a particular church. One overseeing Nations and not one particular group of people.

Now, back to our friend Rick Perry. I hope he takes the higher view like GW. The higher and more inclusive his view and discussion of God, the better his chances of not getting caught in religious rifts that could ultimately hurt him.

If Rick Perry had led a prayer at a Muslim mosque instead, I suspect many of the Christians crowing about his courage in this thread may have a different view.

Typical politician. I lost respect for him when he refused to stand up to the federal government with regard to the sovereignty of Texas and the limits of the TSA.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Two good Governors, for sure…but we have to be careful about thinking that what a governor can do on the State level can also be done on the Federal level.
(Thunderbolt; any thoughts?)[/quote]

A couple of governors on a ticket woudl go a long way. Governors have made-to-publish resumes and experience that translates into instant credibility. That doesn’t mean all governors are great or that they will instantly win - it just means that when compiling a list of Pros and Cons, governors have great advantages.

One thing governors have is an image of independence from the legislature (any legislature). For example, one thing that will cause Obama some trouble in 2012 are stands he took as a Senator compared with stands he took as a President (especially foreign policy). When you serve in Congress, it is hard to pull off the transition to the executive branch (which is designed to have some tension with the legislative branch) because the change sets up too many instances where you look hypocritical or nakedly political to suit your own ends at the time (cf., Obama’s criticism of Bush as C-in-C compared to how Obama has acted).

Governors get to travel past some of this and they appear to be naturally independent and ready to wear the executive hat as a result.

Governors also have built-in “management styles” that they can instantly talk up and advertise to compare and contrast themselves from Obama (or any other incumbent executive), and people like to hear about this kind of stuff with respect to the Presidency. Legislators don’t have this to talk about.

I don’t think Perry’s chances are great, but he has Texas’ economic track record to run on, and that helps with what will be the most important issue in 2012.

My half-baked recipe for someone to become president? Get some private sector experience, serve in the House of Representatives for a reasonable period (not too long), maybe take a break with more private sector experience (but stay close to the policy world), do not serve in the Senate, go back to your home state and be governor, and then run for President.

[quote]forlife wrote:
If Rick Perry had led a prayer at a Muslim mosque instead, I suspect many of the Christians crowing about his courage in this thread may have a different view.[/quote]

Which is probably why he didn’t.

All momma Perry’s dumb children were ate by alligators.

[quote]forlife wrote:
If Rick Perry had led a prayer at a Muslim mosque instead, I suspect many of the Christians crowing about his courage in this thread may have a different view.[/quote]

That could be because we’re not a Muslim, but a Judeo-Christian society.

Think you can remember that?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I think Perry is positioning himself to be on the republican ticket in the VP slot. What do you think Mufasa?[/quote]

Good question, Zeb.

Historically, the VP choice is as “political” as it gets…it’s meant (mostly) to attract a certain segment or segments of the Electorate; OR to “appease” a certain segment of the electorate/and or the Party.

Therefore, the VP choice will depend on a) who the nominee is and b) where the electorate appears to be entering into the general election.

Perry may, or may not, be the “best” choice leading into the election.

Much like Palin; I think Perry is “playing it coy”; and waiting to see how things go.

Mufasa [/quote]

Perry is trying to get the republican nomination I think. That’s what the prayer thing is about. It’s also why he’s trying to fix the budget, but at the expense of public education. If he gets nominated, I’m sure he’ll start going more mainstream to grab those swing-votes.

Certainly hope so