Gout and Diet

Does anyone else on the board have an issue with gout attacks? If so, what is your dietary protocol like? I am suffering my first attack in years, and I’m curious what has tempered it based on anecdotal experience.

I’ve been doing a hybrid version of the AD/get shredded diet, with controlled carb refeeds every 12-14 days. I’m wondering if the uric acid buildup from the fat loss is a partial culprit here, but protein sources could be a factor too.

When low carb it’s easier to get dehydrated if you’re not careful, so keep that in mind.

There is contradictory data as to whether purines are the cause or not. I doubt humans are not adapted eat protein though. What is likely is that we should avoid:

Avoid caffeine (a purine and diuretic)

Alcohol cuts the kidney?s ability to rid the blood of excess purines by at least 50%.

High GI carbs: Insulin tells the kidneys to reabsorb uric acid into the blood instead of excreting it into the urine. Fructose appears to be especially bad. Protein, especially those rich in BCAAs, or hydrolyzed, would also spike insulin as well.

Things you can take:

Ashwaghanda: Suppressive effect of Withania somnifera root powder on experimental gouty arthritis: An in vivo and in vitro study - PubMed

Ginger: 6-Shogaol inhibits monosodium urate crystal-induced inflammation--an in vivo and in vitro study - PubMed

Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated avoids raises in blood uric acid levels.

You can try alkalinizing your urine. The alkalizer citrate reduces serum uric Acid levels and improves renal function in hyperuricemic patients treated with the xanthine oxidase inhibitor allopurinol - PubMed

Good links - thanks for the reply. It’s probably not something that most people deal with, but I’ve been having intermittent attacks since I was 30.

Have you heard about the research on cherries? Treating Gout with Cherry Juice | NutritionFacts.org

Had it ever since my army years , I can tell you one thing , it is a fucking bitch.

Doesnt matter what you eat , it is going to keep comming again.

My uric acid during a gout attack would always be normal and every couple of years i get hit by it.

Nothing you can do about it , it is like a kick to the nuts that you know you are gonna get , nothing to do exxcept to suck it up and wait for the flare to fade off.

GL