T Nation

Got My NSCA-CPT, Onto CSCS

honestly when i took the test last month i had no idea what to expect. I knew alot of information and on the other hand there was alot that I seemed unsure about. I was wondering how much harder the CSCS will be???

[quote]Illiptical360 wrote:
honestly when i took the test last month i had no idea what to expect. I knew alot of information and on the other hand there was alot that I seemed unsure about. I was wondering how much harder the CSCS will be??? [/quote]

Congratulations. I hold the NSCA-CPT credential as well. I am unsure of how much harder the CSCS is, but I know its geared more towards athletes and is longer than the CPT exam. I plan to take it once I complete my B.S.

I was interested in getting into the training industry. I have a bachelor in journalism, can I still get a CSCS with any bachelor degree?

[quote]-ck wrote:
Illiptical360 wrote:
honestly when i took the test last month i had no idea what to expect. I knew alot of information and on the other hand there was alot that I seemed unsure about. I was wondering how much harder the CSCS will be???

Congratulations. I hold the NSCA-CPT credential as well. I am unsure of how much harder the CSCS is, but I know its geared more towards athletes and is longer than the CPT exam. I plan to take it once I complete my B.S.

[/quote]

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
I was interested in getting into the training industry. I have a bachelor in journalism, can I still get a CSCS with any bachelor degree?

-ck wrote:
Illiptical360 wrote:

[/quote]

YES YOU CAN. I hold a bachelor’s in history… did not do shit w/ that and actually at the time just wanted any degree so i could get my ass out and take the cscs

couple questions…

1.) How tough was the exam in your opinion?

2.) What study aides (if any) did you use and what was helpful?

Test was very easy IMO. Did not do that well on the nutrition portion of the test or on the applied portion of the test, because I did not buy the DVD’s and study about the training of athletes. I lost most of my points there. The proper technique to use for sled drags etc…

My plyometric knowledge was right on and all my exercise technique knowledge was as well, but I did not study the nutrition and training of athletes content and still got an 85% on that stuff. I knew I would pass that part and if I wanted to train athletes I would study the information I needed before. I got a 97% on the exercise sciences and skimmed over that material. I have a degree in exercise science though.

Congrats man. I take my NSCA-CPT next month and am a little nervous about it.

Did you find the exam very hard? Did you use alot of there study materials?

[quote]coffee wrote:
Congrats man. I take my NSCA-CPT next month and am a little nervous about it.

Did you find the exam very hard? Did you use alot of there study materials?[/quote]

have not taken the cscs yet, but registered to take the cat soon, in the middle of gre exams. would like an update on how everybody else is doing though?

Good job

[quote]Illiptical360 wrote:
honestly when i took the test last month i had no idea what to expect. I knew alot of information and on the other hand there was alot that I seemed unsure about. I was wondering how much harder the CSCS will be??? [/quote]

a fair bit, especially if you go in thinking like a personal trainer. the CSCS is about training athletes, and especially teams. The one on one is NOT emphasized nearly as much.

the best study aids are the symposium tapes and the practice exams. use these with the book, mandatory if you even want to pretend to pass, and you will be a good way there.

this is the biggest tip though… DO NOT TRY TO OUT THINK THE EXAM. the NSCA has a history and a method and they want you to know this. i wish i had a dollar for every “coach” that came up to me and told me he failed the CSCS and then admitted that he was answering based on “the latest research” or what “Pavel said.” Hilarious.

Good luck on the exam.