T Nation

Got My Bodyfat Checked Today

I lift at a gym that has knowledgeable trainers that I actually trust. I knew they did bodyfat measurements but I had never really wanted the honest truth. So, after I did my planks/hovers I asked the gal if she could get my measurements. It took all of 5 minutes.

I’m 45 years old, 5’10" and weighed in at 220. I knew I had a gut but attributed it to the fact that I lift in more of a powerlifting fashion. I used to lift for looks but that’s been 20 years ago. My cardio in the winter is walking to and from my house to car and car to gym. I’ll run 2 miles 2-3 times a week once the snow melts and the Masters’ green jacket has been handed out.

I felt good when she had a hard time getting a measurement from my tricep and thigh. Then she went for the gut and fat handles. This is where my deficiency is. My bodyfat total is 26% and it is all around my waist. She knows my workout and didn’t question it.

I’m keeping a week’s log of everything I eat & drink. I’ve found that I like steak, eggs and shrimp in quantites. I appear addicted to putting food between slices of whole wheat bread. I can’t eat potatoes without butter. Sixteen to twenty four ounces of milk at one sitting is normal. Triple decker peanut butter sandwiches are a fun snack. I eat so many bananas I should be hurling my feces. I’m not sure if I like asparagus for its nutrional value or because it makes my pee smell. I drink so much water I’m surprised I don’t slosh when I walk.

I try to eat 4-5-6 times a day but with 4 kids that’s not always a reality. I suspect I’ll need to change or at least severely modify some eating habits. I’ll find out in the next 10 days. I’ve always thought I knew what and how much to eat. At least she won’t take my Copenhagen away. I can’t lift without a dip in. Wish me luck.

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:

I eat so many bananas I should be hurling my feces.

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hysterical.

But your diet could use an overhaul, especially if you want to lose fat. Even though my diet has been pretty clean for many years, I did find myself gaining fat around the middle after I turned 50. The diet that I like and what worked well for me is Joel Marion’s “Cheat To Lose Diet”. This is the only “real diet” I ever did in my life. I was one of his diet testers on this site 2 years ago before his book came out. I still rely on carb cycling throughout the week, and have stuck to that basic premise.

All diets work if you follow them to the letter. But you need to find something that you like and will stick to. there are lots of threads on the Velocity Diet and Anabolic Diet on this site. Do some reading and decide what you want to do.

Good luck with your fat loss.

Acknowledging the problem is the first step.

You know what you have to do. You have to cut calories. There’s plenty there to cut, right? Just don’t cut back too many calories too quickly. Don’t starve yourself. You didn’t get here in a month and you’re not going to get rid of it in a month. Take your time.

You just gotta suck it up, big guy.

Or actually, STOP sucking it up. :slight_smile:

There are a few things in your post that jump out at me, so I’ll comment on them.

The first thing is [quote] I suspect I’ll need to change or at least severely modify some eating habits.[/quote]

I’m hoping this is a joke, but just in case it needs to be said… your body composition is the result of your lifestyle. Period. With no wiggle room. If you want to change your body composition, then you have to change your lifestyle. Your nutrition definitely needs to change and your training may need to change also, but permanently changing your body composition doesn’t come from “suspecting” that a change is needed.

[quote]slices of whole wheat bread[/quote] STARCHY CARBS

[quote]potatoes[/quote] STARCHY CARBS

[quote]Triple decker peanut butter sandwiches are a fun snack[/quote] STARCHY CARBS

[quote]bananas[/quote] STARCHY CARBS

I’m seeing a trend here…

I’d seriously consider switching from a carb based diet to a protein based diet.

[quote]Wish me luck.
[/quote]
Good luck!

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
There are a few things in your post that jump out at me, so I’ll comment on them.

The first thing is I suspect I’ll need to change or at least severely modify some eating habits.

I’m hoping this is a joke, but just in case it needs to be said… your body composition is the result of your lifestyle. Period. With no wiggle room. If you want to change your body composition, then you have to change your lifestyle. Your nutrition definitely needs to change and your training may need to change also, but permanently changing your body composition doesn’t come from “suspecting” that a change is needed.

slices of whole wheat bread STARCHY CARBS

potatoes STARCHY CARBS

Triple decker peanut butter sandwiches are a fun snack STARCHY CARBS

bananas STARCHY CARBS

I’m seeing a trend here…

I’d seriously consider switching from a carb based diet to a protein based diet.

Wish me luck.

Good luck![/quote]

HappyDog, et al, thanks, I needed that. I value your opinions. I didn’t really take notice of how many carbs I eat as I filled out my journal. Damn, it is a lot. I’ve always tried to be cognisant of sugars.

I’ve always put on weight over the winter and lost it in the spring/summer. It’s just easier to put the weight on and harder to take it off now. I do try to get 1gr protein for 1lb body weight. I now know I need to back off the carbs.

Yo Mamma - good advice. I will check into the various diets.

Now I have to pay the piper. It will be interesting trying to implement a diet with a wife and 4 kids that aren’t. I guess I’ll take the same approach as lifting: if it was easy everybody would be doing it. Can I still be proud over the fact that she had a hell of a time getting the calipers to hold to get a measurement on my tricep and thigh :slight_smile:

Can I still be proud over the fact that she had a hell of a time getting the calipers to hold to get a measurement on my tricep and thigh :slight_smile:
[/quote]

No.

She was just doing that to try to make you feel better about yourself.

:slight_smile:

I lift at a gym that has knowledgeable trainers that I actually trust. I knew they did bodyfat measurements but I had never really wanted the honest truth. So, after I did my planks/hovers I asked the gal if she could get my measurements. It took all of 5 minutes.

I’m 45 years old, 5’10" and weighed in at 220. I knew I had a gut but attributed it to the fact that I lift in more of a powerlifting fashion. I used to lift for looks but that’s been 20 years ago. My cardio in the winter is walking to and from my house to car and car to gym. I’ll run 2 miles 2-3 times a week once the snow melts and the Masters’ green jacket has been handed out.

I felt good when she had a hard time getting a measurement from my tricep and thigh. Then she went for the gut and fat handles. This is where my deficiency is. My bodyfat total is 26% and it is all around my waist. She knows my workout and didn’t question it.

I’m keeping a week’s log of everything I eat & drink. I’ve found that I like steak, eggs and shrimp in quantites. I appear addicted to putting food between slices of whole wheat bread. I can’t eat potatoes without butter. Sixteen to twenty four ounces of milk at one sitting is normal. Triple decker peanut butter sandwiches are a fun snack. I eat so many bananas I should be hurling my feces. I’m not sure if I like asparagus for its nutrional value or because it makes my pee smell. I drink so much water I’m surprised I don’t slosh when I walk.

I try to eat 4-5-6 times a day but with 4 kids that’s not always a reality. I suspect I’ll need to change or at least severely modify some eating habits. I’ll find out in the next 10 days. I’ve always thought I knew what and how much to eat. At least she won’t take my Copenhagen away. I can’t lift without a dip in. Wish me luck.
[/quote]

If I were you I would listen to CP…

IF IT DOESNT RAN,FLY,SWIMM OR ISNT GREEN----DONT EAT IT!!!

Read 21st century eating (or something similarly titled) by David Barr in the archives. You shouldn’t assume you requre a certain fixed number of meals each day. It depends on many factors.

Hello hawkcapt1912, 26% not the end of the world, but yes you can do better. A good way to reduce your intake of calories is to remove fats from your eating. No butter, mato, peanut butter, cooking oils etc. Small amounts of fat are loaded with calories. This way you can reduce a lot of calorie intake, then slowly start to change the amount and what you eat.

You can try salba seed, it’s packed with amazing goodies and helps regulate your digestion, you won’t get hungry as often. You can look this up at sourcesalba.com.

You may have to experiment a bit, everyone is a little different. Once you find the proper eating plan it just a hop, skip and a run from single digits. Good luck. One more rep!

[quote]BALBO wrote:
If I were you I would listen to CP…

IF IT DOESNT RAN,FLY,SWIMM OR ISNT GREEN----DONT EAT IT!!!
[/quote]

Sounds simple, easy and effective.

[quote]streamline wrote:
A good way to reduce your intake of calories is to remove fats from your eating. No butter, mato, peanut butter, cooking oils etc. Small amounts of

[/quote]

I wouldn’t do this if I were you. You need healthy fats to support muscle growth. Read these articles:

See what the experts have to say.

Yo Momma is right, it’s starchy carbs that are usually what need to be restricted. fat is important from a nutrient point of view and also to make you feel full.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
streamline wrote:
A good way to reduce your intake of calories is to remove fats from your eating. No butter, mato, peanut butter, cooking oils etc. Small amounts of

I wouldn’t do this if I were you. You need healthy fats to support muscle growth. Read these articles:

[/quote]

Yes, for many reasons the ‘cut fat out of your diet’ advice is a HORRIBLE idea. 30 percent of calories from fat is a good number, and anything less than 20 and you’re going to have problems with anabolic hormone production. If you lift heavy, you will also begin to have trouble with your joints.

Only eating meat and veggies is probably your best bet for now. You can phase carbs back in slowly as you get lean. As you are nowhere near lean now. you really have no business eating carb-based foods. Instead of a post-workout drink like Surge, I’d just go with a BCAA/Glutamine cocktail and a whey-protein shake.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
streamline wrote:

[/quote]

Oddly enough, I had read those. I needed to read them again, and again, and again. Maybe Nietzshe was right in that which doesn’t kill us only makes us stronger. Thanks for your insight all. I know what I need to do. I can only hope that anyone who dropped by and read the comments can learn from someone else’s bad habit(s).

Sorry for the misconception. There is a lot of fat in our regular eating plans, in meats, vegetables, fish, and yes grains as well. Some times you need to remove some things for a short period of time. When you have a large intake of food in your daily diet it can be difficult to reduce your intake without stressing your body.

By reducing the intake of added fats while you slowly reduce your intake of other starchy food gets you on your way without the stress of being hungry. Muscle builders should be eating 33/33/33. However if you want to see those muscles you may have to do thing that goes against the norm.

Like I stated everyone is different and you will have to experiment to find what works for you. I most certainly wouldn’t presume to know what is best for you, just give you food (no punt intended) for thought. Good luck, you’ll get there one way or another.