T Nation

Got Hired As a Bouncer...

I got hired as a bouncer for one night a week at a local nightclub that is very popular. Wednesdays (when I work) and Saturday’s are “hip hop” nights, meaning the crowd is more diverse (read: more women) than on the other nights, when it is a country club. We have to wear cowboy hats though, which I think makes us all look like tools, but what can you do. Anyway, you fellas have any tips for a newbie?

Everything you need to know is in the movie Roadhouse.

Haha. Quit.

http://www.standingonthebox.blogspot.com/

watch some chuck norris tapes

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Haha. Quit.

http://www.standingonthebox.blogspot.com/ [/quote]

Lol, that’s the link I was going to post

Wear long sleeves and gloves. That way when you get covered in someone elses blood you might not catch anything.

Bouncing is one of the easiest jobs out there. However, on “hip-hop” night, don’t expect more women, expect more “brawls”. Why tf would you choose to work hip-hop night?

A guy by the name of Ari Bolden put together an e-book with some basic information. For the time it takes you to weed through the crap posts you get in response to this thread it may be worth your time to download this.

http://www.doormanscredo.com/

Check out Bas Rutten’s tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mBe0_Ha78

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Check out Bas Rutten’s tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mBe0_Ha78 [/quote]

And make sure you have adequate umbrella liability insurance coverage if you plan to utilize his tips.

dont wear a stetson, try to get a much cheaper hat, maybe a leather hat that looks kind of australian. I bet your hat will get tore up fairly quickly, so just don’t buy somethign real nice.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
Check out Bas Rutten’s tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mBe0_Ha78

And make sure you have adequate umbrella liability insurance coverage if you plan to utilize his tips.
[/quote]

Haha, yes my suggestion was somewhat tongue in cheek!

Bouncing a hip hop night, now that is something you couldn’t pay me to do again.

Here are some basic ideas.

  1. Remember you are not the police (pronounced po’leese)

  2. Never forget that you have to leave the club sometime. So never forget rule number 1.

  3. Don’t use more force than is neccessary to get control of the situation. This is where rule 2 comes in.

  4. Hiphop is about three main themes Guns, drugs and thugs, So remember 1,2 and 3

  5. The friskers are the first line of defense and crucially important to the safety of the bouncers inside the club. If you have to do it you can’t be shy about shaking people down. If someone else is doing watch them to see how thorough they are.

  6. Don’t try to be a one man problem solver and just dive into something without somekind of back up. This way you can avoid getting yourself hurt and you can avoid having to seriously fuck someone up. For more explanation see rule 2

  7. In a very short period of time a whole lot of people some of whom are very shady are going to know who you are but you won’t have a friggin clue who they are. So be a little careful with personal information like where you live.

  8. If a coworker is a bully who gets their jolly’s out of tearing people up don’t ignore this, because you could be the one who pays the price for it. See rule 4

  9. You will be dealing with people who are intoxicated and maybe high, so don’t expect that when you say jump they will shout how high in the air. You have to be firm with people but don’t be too dictatorial otherwise you will paint yourself into a corner. Remember rules 2 and 7 you will have to go out in public sometime, you don’t want to run into someones crew and not realize it, till it’s too late.

  10. Don’t wear long sleeves, this gives someone something to grab onto.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Bouncing a hip hop night, now that is something you couldn’t pay me to do again.

[/quote]

Been there, done that…everything that Sifu wrote is the truth…and you couldn’t pay me to do it again either.

If your working at a place where the patrons make it necessary to have metal detectors or someone to frisk them when they come in…Get the fuck out of that job. I have worked alot of places the ones where I might be shot, stabbed or have a permanent injury ain’t worth it for the Ehhh pay your gonna get. However if you do stay there figure out who is in it to get their jollies off by getting physical, stay away from them or never let them deal with anything. The entire job of a bouncer it to make problems go away. The second you have to get physical things have gone too far. Not saying it’ll never happen but I only had to get physical a few times (~4)time in 2-1/2 years while others were getting into shit almost weekly. Get people’s attention and let them know there is only one way this is gonna end, bad for them. whether or not they win the fight just means whether they go to the hospital or the police station. If someone has any sense(not too Hammered), or one of their friends are somewhat sober, they will listen to you if you come at them neutral just telling them how it is. Don’t become confrontational until absolutely necessary, simply be forceful and control the situation. I have thrown people out and had them apologize to me, however always know what you can do legally, Physically that is. And for gods sake don’t ever use too much force, as was said earlier you do have to leave sometime and will be out on the town other nights. Hope this helps you out but as others said you couldn’t pay me to bounce anymore, I made it to behind the bar and don’t plan on hopping over anytime soon.

BB

Try not to get shot by Pacman Jones.

Thanks for the help.

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
Bouncing is one of the easiest jobs out there. However, on “hip-hop” night, don’t expect more women, expect more “brawls”. Why tf would you choose to work hip-hop night?[/quote]

Usually “hip-hop” nights attract a bunch of pissed off gangster-type “hyphy” retards who like to start shit because they can’t get any pussy. I’ve been in a lot of clubs where I see this shit happen- be ready for it because it’s going to be your job to clean house on some real fucking idiots. I respect you for doing the job, but that’s some shit I wouldn’t even want to get involved in. You never know when some dickhead is going to bring a gun in his car and end up doing some stupid shit basically because a) he couldn’t get laid or b) he’s a dumb fuck who think’s he’s a gangster.

Hip Hop night ususally ends up being a bad fucking idea for everyone.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Bouncing a hip hop night, now that is something you couldn’t pay me to do again.

Here are some basic ideas.

  1. Remember you are not the police (pronounced po’leese)

  2. Never forget that you have to leave the club sometime. So never forget rule number 1.

  3. Don’t use more force than is neccessary to get control of the situation. This is where rule 2 comes in.

  4. Hiphop is about three main themes Guns, drugs and thugs, So remember 1,2 and 3

  5. The friskers are the first line of defense and crucially important to the safety of the bouncers inside the club. If you have to do it you can’t be shy about shaking people down. If someone else is doing watch them to see how thorough they are.

  6. Don’t try to be a one man problem solver and just dive into something without somekind of back up. This way you can avoid getting yourself hurt and you can avoid having to seriously fuck someone up. For more explanation see rule 2

  7. In a very short period of time a whole lot of people some of whom are very shady are going to know who you are but you won’t have a friggin clue who they are. So be a little careful with personal information like where you live.

  8. If a coworker is a bully who gets their jolly’s out of tearing people up don’t ignore this, because you could be the one who pays the price for it. See rule 4

  9. You will be dealing with people who are intoxicated and maybe high, so don’t expect that when you say jump they will shout how high in the air. You have to be firm with people but don’t be too dictatorial otherwise you will paint yourself into a corner. Remember rules 2 and 7 you will have to go out in public sometime, you don’t want to run into someones crew and not realize it, till it’s too late.

  10. Don’t wear long sleeves, this gives someone something to grab onto.

[/quote]

It sounds like you know what you’re talking about. As a club patron, I can clearly see this is the horseshit bouncers have to deal with.

Where da muthafuckin’ po’leese at foo? Fuck that shit bitch!

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Bouncing a hip hop night, now that is something you couldn’t pay me to do again.

Here are some basic ideas.

  1. Remember you are not the police (pronounced po’leese)

  2. Never forget that you have to leave the club sometime. So never forget rule number 1.

  3. Don’t use more force than is neccessary to get control of the situation. This is where rule 2 comes in.

  4. Hiphop is about three main themes Guns, drugs and thugs, So remember 1,2 and 3

  5. The friskers are the first line of defense and crucially important to the safety of the bouncers inside the club. If you have to do it you can’t be shy about shaking people down. If someone else is doing watch them to see how thorough they are.

  6. Don’t try to be a one man problem solver and just dive into something without somekind of back up. This way you can avoid getting yourself hurt and you can avoid having to seriously fuck someone up. For more explanation see rule 2

  7. In a very short period of time a whole lot of people some of whom are very shady are going to know who you are but you won’t have a friggin clue who they are. So be a little careful with personal information like where you live.

  8. If a coworker is a bully who gets their jolly’s out of tearing people up don’t ignore this, because you could be the one who pays the price for it. See rule 4

  9. You will be dealing with people who are intoxicated and maybe high, so don’t expect that when you say jump they will shout how high in the air. You have to be firm with people but don’t be too dictatorial otherwise you will paint yourself into a corner. Remember rules 2 and 7 you will have to go out in public sometime, you don’t want to run into someones crew and not realize it, till it’s too late.

  10. Don’t wear long sleeves, this gives someone something to grab onto.

[/quote]

Serious question:

How do you frisk some 130lb fuck who wears size 46 pants with the pockets at his knees and a fucking huge-ass parka jacket? That’s mostly what you’ll see on hip-hop night. Are they forced to leave their “gangsta shit” at the door?